Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Early beginner stuff...tips please.

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Well... I've got a good 7 sessions (~7 hrs) with just the front strap mounted and no major mishaps. Before reading the posts since my last one, though, I went out and took off my strap. There's wind in the forecast for tomorrow, so maybe I'll get to try it. 99% of my experience to this point is on twin tips. I did try an old F1 surf-style board without straps once last fall in anticipation while waiting for my foilboard. Though underpowered, I was able to get up and go a little strapless, so I guess I have a little confidence. I am certain positioning and maneuvering the foilboard will be very hard.

One of the reasons I got this board was to see about the boundary conditions or limits. I have foil kites and I wanted to test the light wind end and also the upwind. I have always been able to do much better upwind than other riders on inflatables. Interestingly, in learning to foilboard, I have put my kites in the water many times this spring. Usually, it is rare for me to do that. The relaunch turns out to be quite effective. So far I am 100% successful (19/19 relaunches). I'm not going to count the one time the foil went and ran over the lines (!) :-?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:06 pm

If you are going for the ultimate low end limit Johhnn, I think a floaty/big board, really light, strapped - will be the way to go :thumb:

As you need a board that can ride a bit of speed before getting up foiling, so you really can utilize every little piece of chop and wind, to pump your foil up, maybe while doing a kiteloop :naughty:

Much harder on smaller boards, and harder without strap(s)...

8) PF

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Johhnn wrote:
One of the reasons I got this board was to see about the boundary conditions or limits. I have foil kites and I wanted to test the light wind end and also the upwind. I have always been able to do much better upwind than other riders on inflatables. Interestingly, in learning to foilboard, I have put my kites in the water many times this spring. Usually, it is rare for me to do that. The relaunch turns out to be quite effective. So far I am 100% successful (19/19 relaunches). I'm not going to count the one time the foil went and ran over the lines (!) :-?
With the Ozone chrono gaining popularity, you are probably inadvertently right on track with where foiling is going (at least for light wind and racing) I thought I had an ultimate lightwind setup with a big strutless Cloud kite and a medium aspect foil wing. Now that I have seen the Chrono, I am intrigued.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:26 pm

I had a great session last night and for a change I used a smaller kite size than everyone else... two smaller riders were struggling (underpowered on tt's) on 17m Zephers and although I was sorely tempted to use my 17m edge, I resisted the urge and instead used a 13m edge (the edges feel like they were made for hydro-foiling).

The difference was incredible.... yes, you have to work the kite very aggressively, but once on the foil, it was sooo much more controllable and had my longest runs so far.

So for riders (like me) who feel the use a smaller kite thing is not for them, it really is and makes the whole experience far easier/more rewarding. :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”