Forum for kitesurfers
windfreak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Difference between north evo 2013 vs evo 2014

Postby windfreak » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi guys ,for those of you who did demo the evo 2014 ,what are the differences with the evo 2013 :?: Low end, high end ,windrange,turning speed,bar pressure, relaunch ,drifting ,etc. Thanks :thumb:

windfreak
Medium Poster

Re: Difference between north evo 2013 vs evo 2014

Postby windfreak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 pm

I forgot the drive upwind :?: :?: :?: L ets go ,don t be shy ! I have a good deal on a 2013 ,don t know if its worth the extra $$$ for the 2014 ... :roll: Thanks!

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:59 pm

2013 Evo is VERY different than 2014 Evo.

The 2013 Evo was a delta-shaped kite with all the standard advantages/disadvantages of delta kites. It sat deep in the window and pulled hard, so it worked well as a freestyle/freeride/wave, hooked-in or unhooked type do-it-all kite. The downside was that the bar pressure was heavy and though it had a ton of grunt, it was impossible to completely turn that grunt off, so there wasn't a whole lot of top end... If you dropped the bar doing freestyle or sheeted out on a wave the kite tended to continue to pull pretty hard. Also, though it did OK for hooked-in jumping and upwind, it wasn't particularly good for either of those.

As we developed the Dice shape, we realized that it was doing pretty much everything the Evo was doing in terms of performance as a freestyle and wave kite... It works great for unhooked wake/freestyle, and the three strut design made it drift better than the Evo in waves. On top of that, the bar pressure was much nicer, and the range of the kite, especially on the high end, was drastically improved, making the kite much more pleasant and freeride friendly. In short, it did everything the 2013 Evo did, but better, plus it was more fun/accessible as a freeride kite.

For that reason, we completely rethought the Evo for 2014 and made it more committed to freeride... It is no longer meant as an unhooked/hooked-in all-around kite. I would not recommend it for unhooked wakestyle, and though it'll work well in the waves, especially if you like to follow the kite and throw it around a lot, it isn't the same sort of high-performance drifting wave kite that the Dice or Neo is. The 2014 Evo has much better high end than last year and sits much more at the edge of the window, so it goes upwind way better. It jumps better, has less bar pressure, and is just more comfortable in general for freeriding. Relaunch is pretty similar, and though I didn't notice as much grunt in the low end I've been told by several dealers that it works equally well as the 2013 for getting heavier guys out in light winds.

For people who liked the 2013 Evo because they liked the versatility of having a performance kite for unhooked freestyle and waves and freeride, I've recommended the Dice as the best choice in our 2014 lineup. For those who liked the 2013 Evo because it was really stable and user friendly for general hooked-in freeriding, I've been recommending they stick with the 2014 Evo. I think both the 2014 options are better than the 2013 Evo (not just because I work in the industry, though I'm sure the skeptics will believe that) but because I think that with the advent of bridled C shapes like the Dice, the delta shape has largely become obsolete.

All that being said, the 2013 Evo was extremely popular last year, and as long as you know what you're getting into, if you're getting a good deal on the kite, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

-Dan

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks again Dan for the quick reply, you are spot on the 2013 ,I have a 12m,but did not demo the 2014.I like the 2013 ,but nothing s perfect .I did demo the dice ,great kite but at my weight ,225 ,i like more low end grunt ,need to try the new evo and new neo to see . But it s not the same price.. as a 2013 ,we can t have it all they say ! Thanks :thumb:

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Dan: any issue using my 2013 Evo with a replacement 2014 Evo?

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:44 pm

2013 bar with 2014 kite that is, i'll blame that on my phone

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:50 am

All good, 2013 bar, 2012, 2011, 2010....no probs.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North

Postby gvironda » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Dan, can you tell us which is the sales ranking in this year line up? Dice and Neo taking a clear lead?
thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”