Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Drifter, from Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lift Wave 1.0 ... the new frontier for everyday wave riders

Postby Sir V » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:54 am

Been working on this idea for the Lift product from MHL Custom.

Version 3.1 video on the way :D Kite Hydrofoil / Foilboarding is not for flat water only.

One of the things that always amazed me is that Hydrofoil brands are not too concerned about the videos they put out for their products. I've seen some very poor stuff. While mine are individual and all self shot, I normally kite alone and without the luxury of a camera person. Oh the fun I would have with a budget.

PS: I've never been pulled by anything other than a kite

Enjoy and wait for "Lift Wave 2.0" c :) oming soon to a screen near you.

Sir V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Drifter, from Cabrinha

Re: Lift Wave 1.0 ... the new frontier for everyday wave rid

Postby Sir V » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:51 am

As promised - Lift Wave 3.1 **New Video**

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e4n-GaHGRP0?featu ... detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol: V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4n-GaHGRP0
Last edited by Sir V on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:58 pm

I this a wave specific version of the foil or just the board is a wave board?

Do you notice a big difference between the older MHL Lift and the new ones? I see some used ones coming up for sale and wonder if it's worth the small savings to buy the old one or save up for newer one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:16 pm

A bit curious too - as most kite hydrofoilboards were "waveboards" for a long period so kitefoiling started with waveboards (and I use one today), untill racing started with bigger boards.

Great video though, like it a lot :thumb:
Especially the time lapse of unpacking - cool :D

But dont see any specific "wave" innovations here ?

You are probably sharing the stoke over riding a hydrofoil in waves - AWESOME :naughty:

I like it too - still learning, but found out, that when you do 90-180 degree turns back and fourth, you can often use the wave to "push" you, so you can ride up foiling without stalling (the foil), even when the kite is almost "dead" or stalled (which I try to avoid of course, by flying it back and fourth - but it happens sometimes that it goes completely dead, while you are still foiling steadily because of the wave pushing you)

8) PF

Sir V
Medium Poster
Drifter, from Cabrinha

Postby Sir V » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:A bit curious too - as most kite hydrofoilboards were "waveboards" for a long period so kitefoiling started with waveboards (and I use one today), untill racing started with bigger boards.

Great video though, like it a lot :thumb:
Especially the time lapse of unpacking - cool :D

But dont see any specific "wave" innovations here ?

You are probably sharing the stoke over riding a hydrofoil in waves - AWESOME :naughty:

I like it too - still learning, but found out, that when you do 90-180 degree turns back and fourth, you can often use the wave to "push" you, so you can ride up foiling without stalling (the foil), even when the kite is almost "dead" or stalled (which I try to avoid of course, by flying it back and fourth - but it happens sometimes that it goes completely dead, while you are still foiling steadily because of the wave pushing you)

8) PF
Hi Dave & Frank.. you are both sort of right :P

- The new foil - better than the older model Lift because it is a little faster. The previous model that you can see in Foil II is awesome too, I can't faulter it. But I now prefer the newer version because the strut is a little longer and the foil design (wings) allows for more speed under control. But you can't go wrong with either of them. You can learn with either just as well.

- the wave board - this was because I wanted a board I could surf with, without the foil :thumb:. I asked for it and MHL made it just that. I wanted a quad and it is a real surfboard, I have plenty of photos using it without the foil.. I'll post one - that was the brief.

So when I go travelling I only take one surf bag and I have the best of both worlds. But I suspect soon will spend most of the time on the foil, as I already do. Foiling in waves is just AWESOME. The only thing you don't achieve is the spray on cutbacks, but all the rest makes up for it. But why have to choose when you can have both eheh.

- the other thing I like about MHL is that they asked me what I wanted on the boards, so I asked them to make up a design and colours to complement my kites. Sent them the photos of my 2 drifters and they made it up. They have some seriously good painters and designers - I like the feel of having something that was designed for me personally. Have a look at the kite colours and the boards :thumb:

I can't wait to have enough time under my belt to tackle some serious waves, that's the goal. While I will never live up to Laird Hamilton at least I have a standard to strive for.

Glad you enjoyed the vids. I am about to go to Aitutaki, Cook Islands in 2 weeks and while it will be flat water the scenery is fantastic so I will make a little doco for myself. I will look for waves there but everyone says the reef is a little dangerous, we'll see. I'll post when I get back.

V
Attachments
G0016974.jpg
Very stable and super reinforced
G0017618.jpg
As I said, it is a real surfboard as well.
Last edited by Sir V on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir V
Medium Poster
Drifter, from Cabrinha

Postby Sir V » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 pm

in regards to your question on the number :wink:

That is just my reference for how many boards I bought and the different designs we went through until now.

Let's just say I am a little fussy with what I want. But here again I can't speak highly enough of MHL Custom and Nicholas Leason as they all listened to every one of my requests and delivered accordingly, and super quick too (another surprise).

Apart from living after the word "Custom" their after sales support is also worthy of the products they make. I have nothing but good feedback to give.

Cheers, V
Attachments
10369715_10152508733046018_5509590062440345646_n[2].jpg

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 am

davesails7 wrote:I this a wave specific version of the foil or just the board is a wave board?

Do you notice a big difference between the older MHL Lift and the new ones? I see some used ones coming up for sale and wonder if it's worth the small savings to buy the old one or save up for newer one.

The Lift foils seem to get better with each new version, and they come out with a new version pretty frequently it seems. I have noticed the wings getting progressively higher aspect with each version. The ones coming up for second hand sale now are probably from last fall and have a lower AR but still pretty fun. I met a guy on the beach with a newer and higher AR wing than mine and he told me he is hanging onto his older lower AR wing because it lifts a lot easier in light wind.

Sir V
Medium Poster
Drifter, from Cabrinha

Postby Sir V » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Randahl wrote:
davesails7 wrote:I this a wave specific version of the foil or just the board is a wave board?

The Lift foils seem to get better with each new version, and they come out with a new version pretty frequently it seems. I have noticed the wings getting progressively higher aspect with each version. The ones coming up for second hand sale now are probably from last fall and have a lower AR but still pretty fun. I met a guy on the beach with a newer and higher AR wing than mine and he told me he is hanging onto his older lower AR wing because it lifts a lot easier in light wind.
Have you seen the new paint jobs on their boards? What I am always wondering why how they manage to paint a different design on every board :P .. It's a lot of commitment and investment into the sport to create a new design every time and then execute it in time. What is also shows is that if they can do that and still make money, by selling at the excellent low price they do.. why aren't the other manufacturers following on the mass 'individual' customization.

I am certainly happy with what they've done for mine, and I love the finish and quality of the foils too. So I don't get what all these brands are complaining about - cost and one colour fits all...

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 am

sir v, you must be on the friends and family plan. their excellent low price to me was $2400 plus shipping.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Arcsrule wrote:sir v, you must be on the friends and family plan. their excellent low price to me was $2400 plus shipping.

For what - both a foil AND a board for 2400 dollars only ?

If so, it is extremely low cost indeed :naughty:
If only the foil, it is IMO not expensive at all, but nor really low cost.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”