Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kites for teaching

Forum for kitesurfers
kitenico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: colombia
Favorite Beaches: cabo de la vela , puntagallinas , chivor , calima , cartagena ,puerto velero
Style: freeride, freestyle , wakestyle , race
Gear: bandit 9,12
edge 17
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kites for teaching

Postby kitenico » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Im curently using z kites for teaching they are very good but i am planning on buyng next years kites any comments about kahoona or vector or any other recommendation muy spot is fresh water and super stable light wind 14-20k mostly 13m and some days of 9 an some with 17

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Re: Kites for teaching

Postby Coloradokiter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi, I teach for a shop that sells, BEST-Airush-Naish-Wainman-CORE-Slingshot-Ocean rodeo. We have 3 instructors and we can choose anything we wanted. We chose the Naish Ride's and the Airush DNA's to teach on. They just work great. For big kites we went with the Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5 and 17.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:34 pm

been very happy with BLADE TRIGGERs.

they are not exactly "beginner kites" in the sense that they are sensitive handling and high performance, but they are user friendly with very complete depower relief with a short bar "throw", sit on their wingtip at edge of wind consistently, and fly and relaunch in extremely light wind. a good pick for lessons and a great pick for new riders to purchase and enjoy as they continue to progress. robust construction (double reinforced LE seam and good materials) they can take a beating and hang tough.

Fat Lady has magic light wind ability, we have successful sessions and make money with that thing in 8-12mph, it is a game changer for expanding teachable conditions, lifts a wingtip to relaunch in sub 10 no problem.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I've used North Evos and Neos, both good kites. The 5th line setup took a bit more explaining but safer in some ways (not interested in a 5v4 lines debate). Quite expensive.

The school I did my instructors course on used Airush DNAs which were really good, very simple design and very user friendly.

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:47 am

Airush DNA's are the best kites I've ever used for teaching on, simple, stable, easy relaunch and no backstall/front stall issues...and they work equally well on 3 or 25 m lines

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 am

I think the kahoona would be along similar lines to the DNA lithuim. A very stable and easy to relaunch delta based kite. Either one...

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I've been using the Epic Renegade since 2009 for both beginner and advanced lessons. Amazing stability, it's predictable, forgiving and has intuitive flight characteristics. Students have purchased this from me after lessons and had provided great comments after they were competent riders. Another thing about the bar, is that it has great range and depower so if a student lets go of the bar, the kite depowers and sits at the edge of the window. This is also helpful if you want to put the kite down and have a conversation. Happy hunting.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Taught with Epic Renegades and they were good but I'm now teaching on North Rebels. I prefer the Rebels because of the stability and the fifth line still works best for safety IMHO...at least in a flat water / choppy water teaching area (I.e. No 'real' surf). Currently starting to use the little Ocean Rodeo React for first session / juniors. Early days but looks and feels a good bit of kit.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:15 pm

I've also been teaching with my Renegade as often as the wind permits (I only own one size). In combination with a long throw bar without a stopper ball I'm really comfortable having a student just drop the bar in situations where they should otherwise be reaching for the QR. I think some of the other pure delta shapes like the Kahuna should be pretty similar although companies have been calling everything a delta the last few years - open delta, hybrid delta, flat delta - some of them are pretty far away from the ideal.

I think you're kind of compromising a lesson with this style of kite in the sense that you're going to build some habits that aren't good in the wider universe of kites. A student will get basic kite handling skills quickly and safely but I add a lot of caveats.

-Most kites aren't this stable sitting on their tip on the beach. Try before you buy, always keep your eye on the kite.
- If you don't like below the bar depower with long throw think about what will happen when you drop or push away the bar with 12 inches of travel.

Also, you almost can't teach relaunch with a Renegade because it's going to be at the edge of the window waiting to be put back in the air without any rider input. I always have to tell people that this is not how it's going to be in real life.

Not shilling for Dimitri, no affiliation at all but if he wanted to send a demo of the Renegade Ltd. 4G 13m and leave it with me until mid-August I would totally accept. My favorite color scheme is black on black. Lots of lessons next month, D.

Noble_109
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid Force, Best
Brand Affiliation: Blown Kiteboarding

Postby Noble_109 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:41 pm

We have used LF, Cabrinha, Best, and Ozone.

My favorite is the Cabrinha Switchblade and Vector.

Although I think the Cab safety system is difficult to reattach.

Return to “Kitesurfing”