Nielshm
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Footstraps recommendation for foil board

Postby Nielshm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Got a pair of standard rectangular but adjustable on my foil board. They are ok, but I do tend to get the feeling that I don't have the full feeling over my foot from the strap. For me this is crucial when learning as I need to do a lot of adjustments to keep it stable.
Did see some fellow race foils this weekend and their straps looked much more solid.
What's your experience with straps? Or do I just need to get used to it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Footstraps recommendation for foil board

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Nielshm wrote:Got a pair of standard rectangular but adjustable on my foil board. They are ok, but I do tend to get the feeling that I don't have the full feeling over my foot from the strap. For me this is crucial when learning as I need to do a lot of adjustments to keep it stable.
Did see some fellow race foils this weekend and their straps looked much more solid.
What's your experience with straps? Or do I just need to get used to it.
Hmmm, when learning, my experience is that straps are needed, but only to get "up" meaning so you can make the waterstart easy and every time.

It will maybe give some the feeling of more control, but I dont see this happening.

When you are jumping, it is another issue of course :roll:

Most set their straps really loose, so they will slip out immediately when they fall.

Because, you dont ride pushing or pulling in the straps at all, like you do on surf or raceboards - the board is up and weightless with nothing pounding like on other boards.

When experienced, you might be able to get other advantages, like being able to tweak the board in tricks, but that will not be an issue right now Niels.

I ride without straps myself, only used straps in the very start.
This is personal though - as most use straps it seems, but for racing you want every help you can get of course :thumb:

So I would not worry much about the straps, as long as they can be set ok comfy and not too tight :naughty:

Is it just me seing it this way - what do others think ?

Maybe you have seen the threads about foot hooks ?
A foot hook is the front strap being a hook only (like having the front half of the strap only), so you can tilt the board up and start easily - and when you fall you dont risk twisting ankles.
This hook will also give hold, for those who like this.
The "soft" integrated footpad hooks like North got on some boards can also be used I think.

8) PF

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:43 pm

I am a newbie with about 8 sessions/8 hours so far. I can go long distances in each direction, but that's about it. I started with 1 strap in front, very loose. As I got up, I would move my foot back a little out of the strap. Even so, I got my foot caught one time when I fell so that my big toe was bent painfully backwards. No major problem, but it could be very bad if you twisted around and got pulled hard. I think the same danger exists even if you use 2 straps, 1 front, 1 back, because sometimes only 1 foot will come out. This has happened to me on a twin tip with loose straps.

My last session was in very gusty winds, but I really wanted to try with no straps. It was tough, especially as a beginner, to get up, but once up, I liked the free feeling. I'm going out to try again today. We'll see how it goes. I do miss the strap, a little, for starting, but I want to push myself to go without because it will be safer in the long run. I don't intend to race and probably not jump...at least not for awhile. Once up on the board, I felt much more free without the strap. It's easy to hop off the board and you don't need it for control once you're up.

I'm riding Alpine Foil 4.5. It's a really nice foil. Well made and really smooth to ride. I hope this post is helpful.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote: ..when learning, my experience is that straps are needed, but only to get "up" meaning so you can make the waterstart easy and every time.

Most set their straps really loose, so they will slip out immediately when they fall.
PF
Agreed. Just use common Dakine footstraps and set them loose. They are not important except when waterstarting. You will have some crashes when you want to get out of the straps easily.

:wink: CG

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.
Been thanked: 0

Postby jplmain » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 am

I use these straps very loosely so i can get in and out with ease, http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... tegory=108

Return to “Hydrofoil”