KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My first 5th line

Postby KiteCulture » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:06 pm

I hate 5 lines....think they suck balls. They seem to create the problems they were designed to solve. I'll never buy one again.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flaps1111 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I love 5th line, 100 % safety. Solo landing and launching no matter what wind intensity. Water relaunching in light wind. 6 years flying it (out of 12) and NEVER tangle any kite.

God save the 5th line!!!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm

KiteCulture wrote:I hate 5 lines....think they suck balls. They seem to create the problems they were designed to solve. I'll never buy one again.

The only problem seems to be the infamous wrap that many long time riders claim has only happened once , twice or never. I think what you gain in saftey, stability, feel , and relaunch , far out weight the negative. I have used my safety twice in overpowered conditions so far and it was a nice feeling to watch that kite flag in one second. I have got dragged by two other brands kites that would not roll over as advertised. Not fun when you are a thousand feet from shore in overpowered conditions ,hit your safety ,and kite continues to pull. your only choice is to ride it out tying not to drink the ocean or dump the kite...

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm

flaps1111 wrote:I love 5th line, 100 % safety. Solo landing and launching no matter what wind intensity. Water relaunching in light wind. 6 years flying it (out of 12) and NEVER tangle any kite.

God save the 5th line!!!
What is your procedure for self launching with the fifth line?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Ha haa, this is "almost" funny, eventhough very sincere :o

The 5th line that clutters up or "rips" the kite in half :(

It seems, seing from "outside" (I have had 5 line kites, but only rare), that these tangles and ripping the kite in half, CAN happen.

But extremely rare...

There are huge advantages regarding almost full depower, self landing in extreme conditions, and relaunch in light conditions.

So, in my eyes, the reason why everyone contributes so extremely either "pro" or "con", is their personal experiences.

But as these experiences will be influenced by the extremely rare, BUT possible tangle and destruction - we see a lot of black and white opinions on this very topic :naughty:

Dont know if this post is helpful at all - but at least it might tell the "opposing" part, why we always see this picture and opposite opinions regarding 5 line kites :rollgrin:
Some has never had serious issues with tangling or kite being destroyed, meaning 5 lines is the best.
Others HAS had these problems, meaning 5 lines is almost banned, and to be avoided.

8) Peter

Wray118
Medium Poster

Postby Wray118 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Good points Peter , but if any problem is repeated on a regular basis either four or five lines then its operator error IMHO

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:50 pm

William Munney wrote:
flaps1111 wrote:I love 5th line, 100 % safety. Solo landing and launching no matter what wind intensity. Water relaunching in light wind. 6 years flying it (out of 12) and NEVER tangle any kite.

God save the 5th line!!!
What is your procedure for self launching with the fifth line?

I do a normal launching putting one tip to the wind but sometimes the kite slips down wind, no poblem just pull the 5th line and the kite lies in their back ready to launch.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 pm

It seems, seing from "outside" (I have had 5 line kites, but only rare), that these tangles and ripping the kite in half, CAN happen.
Yet to see proof of a kite ripped in half by a 5th line

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 am

JGTR wrote:
Yet to see proof of a kite ripped in half by a 5th line
cleepa wrote:I used to be on 5 line kites. Now I am on 4 line kites and much happier that way. If I get wraps, they are generally because I crash the kite while riding towards it in a turn. I find that with 4 lines, the wraps that I get are easier to ride with than the ones I used to get with 5 lines. With 5 lines I once managed to get the centre line over the canopy, ripping it from trailing edge to leading edge. Wasn't too stoked about that.

I think 4 vs 5 is also very much a preference and riding style thing. Some people like the 5th line for the extra leading edge support and the safety, some people hate it because it can make for trickier wraps.

Personally, I didn't like the wraps and have found the safety of 4 line kites to be great.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:39 am

I didn't realize simply stating that I had a bad experience in iffy conditions warranted personal attacks. Thanks for the input from everyone else. I respect the opinions of most of you, and I'm not saying I'm going to up and sale the sail based on one bad experience...

Return to “Kitesurfing”