vvs
Rare Poster
Gear: flysurfer, best, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strapped or strapless ?

Postby vvs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:26 am

I started training with the front straps, but were very dangerous moments when there is a fall my back on board starts to take off. Possibly severely damage ankle. now I study strapless

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:02 pm

@Peter: I was on a 12 m Flysurfer Speed 3. Wind was about 10-15. Usually closer to 10. Seemed about perfect, except for the occasional lull.

@Windmaker: Yes. My foil is heavier and my board wider than yours. That explains it, I guess.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 pm

vvs wrote:I started training with the front straps, but were very dangerous moments when there is a fall my back on board starts to take off. Possibly severely damage ankle. now I study strapless
Yes be carefull!
Get a nsi foot hook, cut off half the horizontal part.
Use only on the front.
I will not teach anyone without exactly this system, you need boardcontrol for the water start AND front foot placement, but if you fall or bottom out no worries.
Learning strapless unless you are an accomplished strapless directional rider is a waste of waterstart time. It can be done but why?
I have seen guys struggle for an afternoon strapless and with a foot hook up and flying much sooner, then loose the foot hook if you choose.
Not even a loose front strap can be a safe as a foot hook and anything for the rear foot is simply out!
For sure once you have a level you will need straps, even 3 to go fast and or jump.
R H

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks for your post R H. I have been trying without straps after a few sessions with the front strap only. It's rough without straps. I can't get the balance right, but I think I am getting a little better. A lot of times I get up, but by the time I'm up, the kite is touching the water. If I recover the kite, I lose power and speed and fall off. It seems I can be successful only about 50% of the time. Frustrating, but I keep working at it. I think sometimes the wind gets a little less or more as I'm trying to start and, of course, that doesn't help at all. Once I'm up, I can go along for quite a good distance on the foil or the board, depending on the wind.

Return to “Hydrofoil”