Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New kite for hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Aummm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 am

Randahl wrote:So posted videos and testimonials from actual users (maniacs) is nothing more than a delusional philosophy?
It seems like you will deny to the grave that there are many who happily own and fly these kites as well as their experiences on how the kites work.
Your 2 cents worth is exactly that. With each post you further undermine your credibility on this forum and choke it with useless noise.
It doesn't mean sh!t or proving anything the technical & practical superiority when anybody can post a stoked video,
just like wind meters in light wind riding :!:
Be careful with your statements, because none of the better brands, designers, team riders and competitions
are supporting strutless low performance kites :argue:
There is no reason to bastardize patents and not to improve on the prior arts and temper with and making fun of Bruno
this way. :blabla:
If you like strutless is fine but don't tell a hyped lie they work in a dynamic environment same as other
canopy supported L.E.I. and Foil kites, since they have ribs also to support the canopy,
where compliance is a factor :strong:
Attachments
Legignoux Pat.jpeg
Legignoux Pat.jpeg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 am

Randahl wrote:
Aummm wrote:I agree all the advices above are great about the high aspect ratio kite. :thumb:
So what it boils down however strutless are NOT suggested Any Kind, mainly because of the range
and on & off power attribute
caused by bastardized limited canopy support, :!:
Those kind of limitations are not desirable in foil riding since as soon as you start planing, already riding in apparent wind,
therefore becoming overpowered with limited range :alarm:
Aummm, the Chrono is a strutless kite. Is it bastardized too?

You honestly say the same exact thing in all of your posts, usually off topic and unsolicited. So why don't you be transparent about why you have such a specific agenda against strutless kites to promote on here?

Is it money? Because it seems like there is maybe $100-200k of strutless kites sold worldwide in a given year, and I think that's generous. But they certainly aren't threatening any business or stealing huge sums through patent infringement.

Did your old business partner steal your strutless idea for his own?

If it isn't money or vengeance, then all I can think of is that it's your pure passion to warn others away from bastardized canopies that left the house without their struts. The carnage these kites have left on the beach is astounding! The nerve of them to fly in the same air as legitimate supported canopy kites! It's a real menace. Luckily we have you to warn us away.

Being someone who has actually flown a strutless kite with a hydrofoil, may I offer that I DO suggest a strutless such as a Cloud or a Trip (two that I have flown) for light wind foiling. As far as inflatable leading edge kites go, they are among the lightest and fastest turning. You can find a few recommendations to this effect elsewhere on the forum... with Aummm's nonsense sprinkled throughout.

I appreciate a strong opinion on a forum, thats why I am here. It saves me money when I don't buy the wrong kite for what I want to do. I have not noticed what Aumm's other posts have been like, no time to go digging around, but here he is pretty accurate about how strutless kites handle in relation to the standard 3 or 5 strut kites I have flown. The one I flew did exactly what he said: it did have a very "on & off power attribute". It did become overpowered with limited range, and the guy who bought it had to scramble to unload it and lost some money in the process. I need to know all that before I buy one. I will be happy if one day they revolutionize the world of kiting, I love a lighter kite. But I could easily see that thing yanking me around trying to ride a hydrofoil. I would sooner use a race kite for sure.

liquidforcekites
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Encinitas, CA
Style: Pure Fun
Gear: Envy
Havoc
HiFi
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force Kiteboarding

Postby liquidforcekites » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 pm

hey everyone! first off you can see that this is Liquid Force posting in this thread!! just want to disclose that. But, i really would like to invite all to try the Solo for on the foil...yes we are not the first to make a single strut kite..but we are proud of our arrival at this design. We were on a quest to make a strut less for all the reasons people like them..but we found to many negatives that we did not want to compromise to. anyway..the kite is light..why? we all ask..well..yes it has one single strut..so, weight eliminated there. Next we eliminated unnecessary dacron in the wingtips..last we arrived at the thinest LE possible..again..eliminating dacron and PU bladder material..all this adds up!! IN the end..it does make a good kite for riding a foil...it is the go to for all of us on foils! stable, relaunch is wonderful and easy in super light wind..plus it sits in a nice spot in the wind window..OK!! that is it..just throwing an invite to all to try someday!! thanks!
Attachments
LF_2014_SOLO_PRESS_RELEASE.jpg

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Randahl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Aummm wrote:It doesn't mean sh!t or proving anything the technical & practical superiority when anybody can post a stoked video,
just like wind meters in light wind riding :!:
Be careful with your statements, because none of the better brands, designers, team riders and competitions
are supporting strutless low performance kites :argue:
There is no reason to bastardize patents and not to improve on the prior arts and temper with and making fun of Bruno
this way. :blabla:
If you like strutless is fine but don't tell a hyped lie they work in a dynamic environment same as other
canopy supported L.E.I. and Foil kites, since they have ribs also to support the canopy,
where compliance is a factor :strong:
LF, sounds like you guys have put together a product you are proud of and happy to promote. Just wondering if you ran it by Bruno first? His picture from 1987 clearly shows THREE struts. Given that yours only has one strut, you are clearly maniacs and all of your performance claims ignore physics and technology. I hereby find you guilty of bastardization and lies.

Also here are some smilies to emphasize my point. :D :) :( :o :-? :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink: :girl: :!: :idea: :?: :thumb: :bye: :allbegood: :allbegood: :angryfire: :argue: :baby: :cool2: :heartface: :jump: :kiss: :naughty: :nono: :remybussi: :rollgrin:

longbeachrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CA
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby longbeachrider » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Aummm wrote:If you like strutless is fine but don't tell a hyped lie they work in a dynamic environment same as other canopy supported L.E.I. and Foil kites, since they have ribs also to support the canopy, where compliance is a factor
Strutless kites work well. The big change in recent years is the focus on additional bridal complexity/support of both the leading and trailing edge. Foils are the extreme with very complex bridle systems.
Last edited by longbeachrider on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Yes you can use strutless kites (personally I have only tried the Naish trip). But if you want to go fast and point high on the upwind the racekites are so much more effecient. Though I must say that I also have been out in challenging and strong wind conditions using 5 meter kites. And here the freeride kites made the challenge easier. But still in average conditions I will recommand a race kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”