danieli68
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cayo Guillermo Cuba - August

Postby danieli68 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am

I am planning trip in August to Cayo Guillermo. Is this a good time for kitesurfing?
How is the wind at this time?

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cayo Guillermo Cuba - August

Postby BigR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 am

why would you go when the trade wind season ends?

And the rainy season starts?

@ the height of the Hurricane season.....

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm

BigR, Not everyone knows the trade wind season especially if they are new to the sport....

Dan, August is not the prime time to kite in Cuba. Doesn't mean that you won't necessarily get wind. You can find wind stars on windguru in the archives for the past 4 or 5 years to get a idea. Here's a like from wind finder

http://www.windfinder.com/windstatistic ... _cayo_coco

That being said last year I went in early October (still hurricane season) and rode every day except one in two weeks. Spent 5 days on a 7m in intense and awesome storm systems.

You can also check out a site called http://www.windresorts.com that provides info on a ton of Caribbean spots.

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 pm

That being said last year I went in early October (still hurricane season) and rode every day except one in two weeks. Spent 5 days on a 7m in intense and awesome storm systems.
Yes, I suspect you had a two week period of tropical storms or tropical depressions. Thats when they always happen , in september and october. Always wet too.

He is asking about August, which is really the transition month from the dry season to the wet season.

I would take a big kite in August. Any trades left over will need that, Any Tropical Storms will indeed need a 7m, but you can't bank or plan for that, and indeed August is before any real Tropical systems develop, except for a few historically

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 am

Im mistaken, i was there the first two weeks of Nov this year, but my friends were there the week before in October. We only had one day of rain it was pretty amazing. I have been in October, Nov, Dec, January and April and that was by far the best wind we have ever had. Heres an archieve shot.

You could use the same archieve to check different years in August. BigR is correct about bringing a large kite.
Attachments
cayo guillermo.png
cayo guillermo.png (83.87 KiB) Viewed 1869 times

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 am

danieli68
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North

Postby danieli68 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you all for your answers.
What do you think of the Dominican Republic - Cabarete or Zanzibar in August?

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 am

Cabarete seems like better bet if you go early August.
I'll be there in 2 weeks, July is the height of the season.
PAJE seems a little iffy logistically now that they lost the
airport in Nairobi but probably still doable

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 am

Shawn

All the data you are showing is archived forecast data, its not real reports. The only reporting wind sensor near Cayo Guillermo is at the Cayo Coco airport roughly 30 miles away and inland.
It is what it is but it is certainly not data i would base my vacation time on.
Cuba is not a "windy" destination. It is simply a crap shoot. I have been 8 times now so I can speak from experience, when it blows, it is awesome but be prepared to spend all week waiting for that moment... or it could happen to be windy most of the time... it is no different then Florida East coast.

If you want trade winds you need to travel further south and typically not in the summer but check this out.... I was there in April, the locals tell me it blows strong well into July and sometimes till September. This place is the most reliable wind generator I have ever experienced. I believe it is due to trade winds funneling along the mountains...
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”