Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None

neo 6

Postby piccio » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:50 pm

I am north fan ,have rebels ,tried neo 6 today sardinia 15 to 25 ,flat water extremely gusty.
sure it is me,I have to try again,spend more time on it before telling foolishness,anyway
thrown away like a monkey ,10 years back ,worse than a beginner ,unpredictable ,a shopping bag ,no power .....too much power ...... too much ....too little.
if I have had rebel 6 I would not even have my hair (few) wet..
with that thing(neo) I told myself ... it is impossible ....it is not me...it is a north....I love north.... I have to go in the waves with this thing ???? I am afraid!!! I am not able!!!!!!....thanks god did not sell rebel yet.
maybe in the next month will change mind but today I felt myself like a danger for others and very carefully I deposit that thing on the sand before hurting someone ......

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: neo 6

Postby gvironda » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:12 pm

MA tu pensa!
Prova anche gli evo nuovi. Sono passato dai rebel e mi trovo benissimo, anche se è strano quello che hai provato!

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Postby boardjockey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 pm

I like the Neo. I tried the 2014 9m with a TT when the wind was on lighter side for my small TT. The kite has great low end and jumps very well. Big lofty jumps. I was able to drive up wind a couple miles and do a short downwinder in heavy chop. It drifts nice and steers well de-powered.

I will need to try this kite in the waves this winter. Take the 9m out on a day when I would ride an 11 or 13m drifter for comparison. Having the low-end would be great in many aspects, but not sure how it would do on the wave. need to demo

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 am

Friend of mine likes his 2014 Neo. You may have a bad kite, maybe deformed bridle, or back lines too short?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:19 am

Friend of mine likes his 2014 Neo. You may have a bad kite, maybe deformed bridle, or back lines too short?

Dave Whettingsteel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Horrocks, Geraldton, Perth
Favorite Beaches: Horrocks Beach
Style: Waves
Gear: Wam 6'
North Neo 2014 6,8,10

Postby Dave Whettingsteel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:06 am

I love my neo 6 but would only use it in 25+ knots. So if you were out in a very gusty 15-25 I'm not surprised it felt crap.

Maybe try it again in some decent wind.

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:06 am

Dave Whettingsteel wrote:I love my neo 6 but would only use it in 25+ knots. So if you were out in a very gusty 15-25 I'm not surprised it felt crap.

decent means steady? if it is a gusty day what I do,go fishing? or I buy a kite for gust and another for steady? here in sardinia is often gusty mistral.
north says the neo has great low end power so I " followed instructions" it was not super windy ,more or less 20 (were rebel 6 is a monster ,eats and digest every extra gust ,goes as well with lulls without effort in yust few centimeter of depower )
where I should use a neo 6 ,suggested wave kite from north ? ....steady 18 22 or 25+.
weeks ago I tried neo 9 with 13 16 knots ,liked a lot,it is worth spending money and selling rebel 11 for those winds ,there is a reason.
next monday supposed mistral 25 35 kn some waves ,extremely curious to watch more expert local kiters using "that thing" thanks god I have still the devils( reb . 5 6 7) ready

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I have the Neo 2014 - 5,6,8 & 10 and love them but it took time to get used to them, coming from flying rebels for 3 years. I got to borrow a 7 & 9 in Cape Town and my first few sessions where not great, I can remember coming in from a strong gusty day on the 7m and just hating it.

Now I can't imagine using any other kite, i absolutely love them (the 6m is my favorite kite). They just fly SO differently to a rebel that you have to get used to flying the kite in a different way. The wind range is slightly less and they are far more powerful - pull the bar from fully sheeted out to fully sheeted in generates a lot of power so you have to get used to being more gentle. Where as on a Rebel I'd ride with my bar fully sheeted in all the time and if I did sheet out and in, the difference wasn't that great.

I'd definitely persevere, its worth in the long run. If you are riding waves then they are truly awesome, my riding has improved massively since changing over.

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:30 pm

robclaisse wrote:I have the Neo 2014 - 5,6,8 & 10 and love them but it took time to get used to them, coming from flying rebels for 3 years. I got to borrow a 7 & 9 in Cape Town and my first few sessions where not great, I can remember coming in from a strong gusty day on the 7m and just hating it.

Now I can't imagine using any other kite, i absolutely love them (the 6m is my favorite kite). They just fly SO differently to a rebel that you have to get used to flying the kite in a different way. The wind range is slightly less and they are far more powerful - pull the bar from fully sheeted out to fully sheeted in generates a lot of power so you have to get used to being more gentle. Where as on a Rebel I'd ride with my bar fully sheeted in all the time and if I did sheet out and in, the difference wasn't that great.

I'd definitely persevere, its worth in the long run. If you are riding waves then they are truly awesome, my riding has improved massively since changing over.
since everybody says is a wave kite will try again for sure .maybe a wrong day ,not the proper size or the proper wind or simply need to get used to.

I was in cpt too in feb ,tried same neo 7 from noth shop and had same sensation ,but the wind was too strong for that size .bought 6.2 proseries you tried ...love so much

Dave Whettingsteel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Horrocks, Geraldton, Perth
Favorite Beaches: Horrocks Beach
Style: Waves
Gear: Wam 6'
North Neo 2014 6,8,10

Postby Dave Whettingsteel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:54 am

piccio wrote:
Dave Whettingsteel wrote:I love my neo 6 but would only use it in 25+ knots. So if you were out in a very gusty 15-25 I'm not surprised it felt crap.

decent means steady? if it is a gusty day what I do,go fishing? or I buy a kite for gust and another for steady? here in sardinia is often gusty mistral.
north says the neo has great low end power so I " followed instructions" it was not super windy ,more or less 20 (were rebel 6 is a monster ,eats and digest every extra gust ,goes as well with lulls without effort in yust few centimeter of depower )
where I should use a neo 6 ,suggested wave kite from north ? ....steady 18 22 or 25+.
weeks ago I tried neo 9 with 13 16 knots ,liked a lot,it is worth spending money and selling rebel 11 for those winds ,there is a reason.
next monday supposed mistral 25 35 kn some waves ,extremely curious to watch more expert local kiters using "that thing" thanks god I have still the devils( reb . 5 6 7) ready
You can't order steady wind! Unless you come and kite our beautiful sea breeze in west oz of course. I meant the 6 is a very small kite for that wind strength, particularly if gusty. Maybe try and 8 or 9. Depending on how much you weigh of course. I weigh 80 kilos and would use an 8 or 10 in the wind you describe. Have fun on your windy Monday with the 6 though!

Return to “Kitesurfing”