Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

wind in alvor Portugal in July?

Forum for kitesurfers
oshaugho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wind in alvor Portugal in July?

Postby oshaugho » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Going to Lagos for 2 weeks in mid July with my non kiting other half.

Have read that the wind builds in the afternoon and early evening. What strength is the wind on average?

I'm 95kgs advanced rider riding a twin tip. What kites should I bring? Was thing 13/10 should cover me unless its consistently over 30kts in which case will I need the 8?

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: wind in alvor Portugal in July?

Postby Al_Kiter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:03 pm

The NW wind in Alvor is generally between 15 and 25 knots. You could get one day every now and then when it blows up to 30 knots but it's really rare. I would say that you are pretty well covered with the 13 and 10. The NW wind usually blows the strongest between 15:00 and 19:00.

In July and August there are also some isolated days when the wind blows from ESE, On those days you will be able to ride in Lagos with some waves, but in this case the wind blows strongest in the mornings from 7:00 to 11:00 and better for your 13.

Have fun :thumb:

oshaugho
Been thanked: 0

Postby oshaugho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks for the info. If i can fit all three kites in under weight i will otherwise i wil just bring the 13 and 10m.

Hoping to head to carrapatareia also as will be staying in sagres for a few days. Is the wind lighter there than alvor or stronger. Is a wetsuit required?

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Al_Kiter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:19 pm

the wind in Carrapateira is waaaay much lighter than Lagos and Alvor. Don't go there hoping to kite unless it's nuking in Lagos and Sagres. Plus it's deceiving because when you arrive at the bluff overlooking the beach, the wind always feel stronger than it really is in the water. If the wind in Sagres is strong, but it's too light to kite in Carrapateira, head down to Cordoama near Vila do Bispo where the wind is a bit stronger. You have to watch out for rocks in the water but it's the best option in the west coast near Sagres.

If it's blowing from SW in Sagres (very rare in the summer but it happens sometimes) you can ride in Martinhal.

In Sagres (especially the west coast) a wetsuit is advised (at least a shorty). In Alvor you can stick to boardshorts especially if you only ride in the lagoon.

You can check the wind live in Lagos and other Algarve spots in this website.

Return to “Kitesurfing”