Ozone Chrono I'm Lubin it!

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Chrono I'm Lubin it!

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 am

That video just proved the foil kites can go, but can't turn.
In marginal winds, the internal air pressure leaked out once you slow down and at 1:35 you can see the wing tip collapsing.
In a tube kite, only if there is a leak.
According to Ozone, your 15 has a low end of 8 knots
So that is some skill to be doing in 7 knots.
Last edited by Hawaiis on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 am

The low end on my Hydrofoil and Ozone 17 is about 6 knots.
On this particular day it was 5-6 knots, I had to sine many times to get going. If you count them, it was like 7 times. The flysurfer would need to do a kite loop.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am

Hawaiis wrote:That video just proved the foil kites can go, but can't turn.
In marginal winds, the internal air pressure leaked out once you slow down and at 1:35 you can see the wing tip collapsing.
In a tube kite, only if there is a leak.
According to Ozone, your 15 has a low end of 8 knots
So that is some skill to be doing in 7 knots.
The reason the kite did that is because I fluffed up a roll tack. If I was on a twintip or went into a gybe, I would have been fine.

The inflatable kite would have fallen out of the sky, no doubt. Just because the foil loses a little pressure doesn't mean it's all over.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:19 am

The ozone 17 will not fall out of the sky at 7 knots,
Here it fell down at 3-5knots

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 am

Hawaiis wrote:The ozone 17 will not fall out of the sky at 7 knots,
Here it fell down at 3-5knots
I meant if you were to stuff a roll tack

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:47 am

Tone wrote:Sorry, should have taken the time to post more, I'm bad like that.

1. Your Speed 21m needs work. If it is back stalling in 5 knots with the depower pulled the whole way in, then there is something really wrong with it. I'd imagine it is the main line that has stretched. Shorten it above the depower, there is adjustment there you can work with.

2. I have flown the 2013 19m Edge and thought it was a BEAST. Really good for jumping, hung in the air well, even in really light winds and didn't require much in the way of skill to keep it in the air. On the weekend I flew the 2014 19m Edge, no idea what they have done to it but it was appalling. 10 -12 mph on the raceboard. The kite wanted to overfly constantly and when tracking in a straight line it felt heavy, you had to have positive pressure on the steering to keep the kite flying straight, like it was heavy and wanted to always fall into the water. The guy who bought it has had it over fly him 3 times so far (2nd time on it I believe) and drop out of the sky. Another chap who has bought a 15m (same guy who has the 19m 2013 which I flew) is getting the same issues. I am waiting on a 10m 2014 to replace my 10m 2013 and I am now quite nervous. If there is something up with the bridles on these 2 kites then I know Ozone would be a stand up bunch and sort it.

3. If you're doubting the chrono based on kite skills then that is a sensible decision. Also I seem to recall you having trees and stuff near your launching spot so that's also not great. If you were to crash a chrono into the trees, you'd be better off cutting the trees down to get the kite out of it. It's like a magnet for debris on the beach. I swear I saw sea weed actually blow upwind to get into the bridles.

Once in the air the Chrono is the single most impressive kite I have flown. And as soon as I can get past the angel on my shoulder telling me not to buy one, I will be buying the 18m. On days when I couldn't even move on my raceboard with the 15m speed, I was getting over 20 knots of board speed on the 15 Chrono.
Ya I was referring to the 2013 Edge as well. Haven't seen the new ones yet. Interesting they are dogs now. I think I'm going to take advice that another poster made. He only buys previous years goods as he can get a solid review and make a wiser decision plus get at 30% or better discount. So far I's say 50% of my purchases I regretted over the years and just tired of companies pimping their "New and improved" gear only to find my 2 year old stuff was better.

Me too The Chrono has been the most impressive Kite I have owned. I just ordered a CrazyFly Cruiser LW 160. Hopefully won't let me down, like my Speed 4 or 2014 SB.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:08 am

Or, perhaps, you just can't or won't adapt quickly enough to enjoy the new gear ;)

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Or, perhaps, you just can't or won't adapt quickly enough to enjoy the new gear ;)
Hmm perhaps I'm unable to adapt to a slower or less powerful kite than it's predecessor. :D

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:52 pm

I just recently had my S3 19 m2 trimmed by our FS dealer, since it had some problems when riding to the left (hard to hold edge, high bar pull).
From that point on, the kite turned into crap. All the things I read about, started to happen to me.
Wingtips flutering (when center is tensioned), inverting in, whole wing inverting in, frontstalls,... Also it took it a week to inflate when lifted (neither steering or yanking the bar worked, only time).
I also had two occasions when the wing closed and droped into the power zone (again no bar input would get it out of it), than you can imagine what happens, when the kite opens (very close to the grond in moderate wind).
Although the center is tensioned wingtips have their own will, and start to redirect kite across the WW. You can feel unbalanced bar pull (on one side) when the kite is drifting.
The dealer trimmed it a couple of times again at our spot. Stil far from good.

My S4 8m2 also lost a lot of power when at the edge of the WW afer one year of use. Supposedly it is a known occurence. So I had to get it trimmed, but didn't have the chance to test it yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”