*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:26 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:56 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Winchester
OK
5 lines North bar, bow kites (Fuse)
I tend to ride with the bar close to me
With my current settings, this means that the kite is over-trimmed, and flaring outwards quite badly
As a result, I have to almost stop, slow down, bear away down wind with a big kite action deep in the wind window
This happens especially in lighter conditions
So I think I need to shorten the front lines by one knot on each side so that pulling the bar almost to its max, it is less over-trimmed versus the front lines
Q1. Is this thinking correct
Q2. If so, am I going the right way
Q3. What else should I do?


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 29386
Location: World (KF Admin)
I don't understand what happens.

A: If back lines too short, the kite will loose power and backstalls when bar pulled towards you.
B: If back lines too long you will not have power and the kite is less responsive.

Which one happens?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:55 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2369
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
AIR-TASTIC wrote:
Q3. What else should I do?


step 1 tune the bar.

remove bar from kite, and tie the ends with some lark's head to a strong pole. stretch out the lines and set the trim at maximum power, pull the bar all the way in.

All 4 lines should be exactly equal tension, both rear and both center lines should be exactly the same.

If the rear lines are too short you can pull hard on the bar and stretch them out a bit. Or you can adjust the knots on the bar.

Once you have the bar tuned, go back out and see how the kite behaves and at this point we can start talk about setting the trim. But don't do anything until you have first properly tuned the bar and made sure the lines are exactly equal.

I believe on a fuse the 5th line is slack so that doesn't have to be tuned.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Posts: 944
If your wing tips are flaring you could be under-inflating your kite. This will cause them to flare especially on delta's which tend to have thin leading edges at the wingtips.

Other than that tune your bar as Edt suggests.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Posts: 2241
Leave the front lines alone...they have stretched by the sounds of it, so lengthen the bAck lines as explained.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:05 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:56 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Winchester
Toby wrote:
I don't understand what happens.

A: If back lines too short, the kite will loose power and backstalls when bar pulled towards you.
B: If back lines too long you will not have power and the kite is less responsive.

Which one happens?


Firstly, thanks for taking the time to answer, most appreciated
In answer to your question/s
DEFINITELY it would appear to short as when I get riding, the bar is usually a couple of inches from closest to me, but the kite is way over-trimmed and is flaring badly
NB The lines are all the same length


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:56 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Winchester
edt wrote:
AIR-TASTIC wrote:
Q3. What else should I do?


step 1 tune the bar.

remove bar from kite, and tie the ends with some lark's head to a strong pole. stretch out the lines and set the trim at maximum power, pull the bar all the way in.

All 4 lines should be exactly equal tension, both rear and both center lines should be exactly the same.

If the rear lines are too short you can pull hard on the bar and stretch them out a bit. Or you can adjust the knots on the bar.

Once you have the bar tuned, go back out and see how the kite behaves and at this point we can start talk about setting the trim. But don't do anything until you have first properly tuned the bar and made sure the lines are exactly equal.

I believe on a fuse the 5th line is slack so that doesn't have to be tuned.


To you too, thanks for your input and time taken
In answer:
All 4 lines are identical in length. This was true of an old bar that I have just dumped, and a new North bar that I have replaced it with (so its not even a case of new lines stretching)
I tend to ride with the bar quite close to me, but that makes the kite flared as if it's over-sheeted and then I have to bear away, fly the kite up and down a few times and get some "way" on again


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 4:56 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Winchester
TheJoe wrote:
If your wing tips are flaring you could be under-inflating your kite. This will cause them to flare especially on delta's which tend to have thin leading edges at the wingtips.

Other than that tune your bar as Edt suggests.


Good idea, but I am taking the kite up to 6 psi, which is what it says on the tubes as ideal pressure


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:30 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 5626
Location: Denmark
AIR-TASTIC wrote:
OK
5 lines North bar, bow kites (Fuse)
I tend to ride with the bar close to me
With my current settings, this means that the kite is over-trimmed, and flaring outwards quite badly
As a result, I have to almost stop, slow down, bear away down wind with a big kite action deep in the wind window
This happens especially in lighter conditions
So I think I need to shorten the front lines by one knot on each side so that pulling the bar almost to its max, it is less over-trimmed versus the front lines
Q1. Is this thinking correct
Q2. If so, am I going the right way
Q3. What else should I do?



Q1. Is this thinking correct
Yes
Q2. If so, am I going the right way
Yes
Q3. What else should I do?
You could simply use the trim adjuster instead, thats why its there :thumb:
And only change knots or similar, when the difference becomes a lot more than now.

PS: whether the lines are equal lenght or not, is not important so dont ever think about this.
The kite should just be trimmed to fly like you want it to, when the bar is pulled towards you.
And yes, this flaring or stalling gets worse in lighter wind, so you HAVE to use the trim adjuster to depower the kite a bit, when out in marginal conditions :naughty:

8) PF


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Help needed on Trim settings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2369
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
AIR-TASTIC wrote:
I tend to ride with the bar quite close to me, but that makes the kite flared as if it's over-sheeted and then I have to bear away, fly the kite up and down a few times and get some "way" on again



If the bar is tuned then you should be able to pull the trim or depower about 2 inches in that should prevent the kite from being oversheeted and flaring. If you have pulled the trim in and the kite still behaves strangely then something else is going on.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], boatppl, madworld, speedyRider, Tone and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group