Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Erosion experience question

Forum for kitesurfers
loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Erosion experience question

Postby loco4viento » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you have any successful experiences with anti-erosion measures in areas where longshore (side shore) currents are a significant contributor to sand dune coastal erosion. Have any of you seen successful measures which have resulted in actual sand deposition and restoration of beaches? I'm less interested in periodic beach nourishment and more interested in other strategies that may have been successful in areas that any of you might know.

Thanks,

John

BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Erosion experience question

Postby BiteMe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Not sure about the sand deposition and restoration, but I have seen where rock jetties help with erosion issues.

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:16 am

loco4viento wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you have any successful experiences with anti-erosion measures in areas where longshore (side shore) currents are a significant contributor to sand dune coastal erosion. Have any of you seen successful measures which have resulted in actual sand deposition and restoration of beaches? I'm less interested in periodic beach nourishment and more interested in other strategies that may have been successful in areas that any of you might know.

Thanks,

John
Jetties work, but they cause erosion on the "downstream" side of the jetty.

Sand socks do not work and make things worse. The water carrying the sand hits the socks and reflects back causing erosion. Some of the things that do work are the things that are a matrix that catches the fast moving sand as it comes on shore and slopes up causing the sand to be deposited as the water slows down.

Here are some things that work

1) seaweed is really good for catching sand, but it smells

2) not having offshore submarine channels that trap sand that gets swept out from a hurricane

3) keeping healthy dunes with active vegetation.

4) fiber mats

5) artificial breakwaters

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:40 am

if there were dunes full of dune grass before - put them back. Sand just disappears sand stuck between massses of fine roots stays put waaay more

rock groins suck

jimovo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Thornton beach
Favorite Beaches: Would love to have time to travel to find out!
Gear: Eclipse Nano 9m

Postby jimovo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:41 am

The school my kids go to has an annual dune planting program that has been in place for 16 years. Every year we go down to our local beach access way and plant 500 dune plants along the edges of the dune within approx 500 yards either side. Four years ago a marker posts were placed to help measure dune movement. About two weeks ago we conducted this years planting. Relative to four years earlier, the dune where we have been planting has gained 8m horizontally and 1.8m vertically.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Kitesurfing”