Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite build project

here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards


SweetDoug
Rare Poster
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Oliphant/Sauble Beach, Canada, Ontario
Favorite Beaches: See Above
Gear: None yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite build project

Postby SweetDoug » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:17 am

'
'
'
I'm impressed all to @#$%!

Wow!



•∆•
V-V

User avatar
PanTau
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: black forest
Contact:

Re: Kite build project

Postby PanTau » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 am

One Strut is the way to go. Less work and great performance :-)
Here you can find some pics of sewing and flying my latest Kite (Diskus M)

http://www.wingworks.de/kite-selber-bauen/diskus-m/#flugbilder

Image

Cheers
PanTau
Last edited by PanTau on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rynhardt
Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kite build project

Postby rynhardt » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:55 am

Now that is pretty freakin' awesome!

BRAINSOLD
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 2012
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal

Re: Kite build project

Postby BRAINSOLD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:29 am

Nice work Pantan! :thumb: Really, really a professional work!
Let me share a little bit of my experience also:
I´m using the software IKDesign and can be found it here - http://www.wingdesignsoftware.net/
For print it, you just need to send your file to the developer and he pass it to DXL file (CAD).
I ´m just create a prototype so I´m not your men, but it is in my plans build, until the end of the year my first Kite!
But I´m a Kite repair and also change the total ripstop of a kite and replace it for a new one!
Let me give a hand to the next question that was made and no one unwser it :D :

what type of sewing machine can do the normal zig-zag stitching, and all the rest?
A domestic sewing machine due the job, I use a simple singer with 3 points zig-zag stich, but a normal zig zag will also work
- what type of thread is used normally? Where to buy it?
I use one made by Gutterman (made in german) number 50 (European scale ) but you can look in sailing supplyer for thread with U.V protection.
- in your opinion, what is the paint when coloring a kite?
No idea at all, but for your first Kite keep it simple, remember, he might not work 50/50 :D
- and lastly, what would be a glue applied under the sewing? Looks like very thin, equally wide everywhere. A tape?
I use webbing tape, but it give me a lot of work, and I also use plastic glue cement but just put a very thin layer for avoiding to stuck the sewing machine
I hope it helps
:bye:

User avatar
windfreak74
Frequent Poster
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 am
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: curanipe,costa blanca, punta parron
Favorite Beaches: Reloca pond
desembocadura biobio
Style: Freeride
Gear: best 12m Nemesis 2008
best 9m bularoo 2010
switch nytro 8m 2013
north 135 x 39
skywalker 135 x48
Mako 134x 35
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Chile/Brasil

Re: Kite build project

Postby windfreak74 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 am

phenomenal work!! :o impressed!
i wish i had that skill guess i need to buy a sewing machine and start building some skills! :P

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Kite build project

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 am

That's some professionaly looking shit right there!

And when I say shit I don't mean shit, shit. I mean good shit. its so good its fucked. Andnot fucked in a bad way.... fucked on a good way. I may even be wack!

User avatar
PanTau
Rare Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am
Kiting since: 0
Gear: DIY kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: black forest
Contact:

Re: Kite build project

Postby PanTau » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm

BRAINSOLD wrote:No idea at all, but for your first Kite keep it simple, remember, he might not work 50/50

The probability that your first kites will go more or less straight into the bin is way higher (> 80%) if you are starting from scratch

windfreak74 wrote:i wish i had that skill guess i need to buy a sewing machine and start building some skills! :P

It's not that hard to build you own kite if you know how to do it :lol:
I will provide a manual and plans for different sizes (S, M, L and XL) soon.

Cheers
PanTau
Last edited by PanTau on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRAINSOLD
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 2012
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal

Re: Kite build project

Postby BRAINSOLD » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 am

Hello PanTau,

HUmmm... Manual!! It sounds great! Are you talking about this one http://www.instructables.com/id/Sew-a-Kite/ or do you have a new one? :D :jump:

Keep up! :thumb:
Brainsold

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Kite build project

Postby downunder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:19 am

BRAINSOLD wrote:Nice work Pantan! :thumb: Really, really a professional work!
Let me share a little bit of my experience also:
I´m using the software IKDesign and can be found it here - http://www.wingdesignsoftware.net/
For print it, you just need to send your file to the developer and he pass it to DXL file (CAD).
I ´m just create a prototype so I´m not your men, but it is in my plans build, until the end of the year my first Kite!
But I´m a Kite repair and also change the total ripstop of a kite and replace it for a new one!
Let me give a hand to the next question that was made and no one unwser it :D :

what type of sewing machine can do the normal zig-zag stitching, and all the rest?
A domestic sewing machine due the job, I use a simple singer with 3 points zig-zag stich, but a normal zig zag will also work
- what type of thread is used normally? Where to buy it?
I use one made by Gutterman (made in german) number 50 (European scale ) but you can look in sailing supplyer for thread with U.V protection.
- in your opinion, what is the paint when coloring a kite?
No idea at all, but for your first Kite keep it simple, remember, he might not work 50/50 :D
- and lastly, what would be a glue applied under the sewing? Looks like very thin, equally wide everywhere. A tape?
I use webbing tape, but it give me a lot of work, and I also use plastic glue cement but just put a very thin layer for avoiding to stuck the sewing machine
I hope it helps
:bye:



Thanks BRAINSOLD!

Just what I needed to know!

D.

PS

I am in negotiation to get the materials for my web shop which will live in here:

http://www.shinai.co

wdric
Frequent Poster
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:52 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia

Re: Kite build project

Postby wdric » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 am

Has anyone sourced a good supply of kiteline?


Return to “Board Builders”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests