Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, prea, barra grande piaui
Style: Begginer freestyle
Gear: core, naish, rrd and flysurferu
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Football vs Kitesurf

Postby awo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:15 am

as a brazilian I feel sorry for the team, they were overwhelmed by the better germans but as a citizen I feel good for our government wont be able to use this terribly expensive tournament in a still poor country for more propaganda.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 am

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:38 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 am

awo wrote:as a brazilian I feel sorry for the team, they were overwhelmed by the better germans but as a citizen I feel good for our government wont be able to use this terribly expensive tournament in a still poor country for more propaganda.
Agree 100%
No roads
No education
No real help for the struggling
Crime out of control
Many poor with no way out

But we have a football game....

I just seen in the paper today they robbed 80 million RA from the Samsung Factory..... How does that happen? lol

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:48 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Soccer = slow Hockey minus the fist fights (Soccer is hard to watch when you were brought up playing American Football).
Australian Rules = Awesome to watch.
Rugby = Also pretty good but the Australians got it really right.
American Rules Football = Awesome (but I've seen so much that I gave up caring fifteen years ago).
Cricket = A bug. :lol:
At this point, I get bored watching most team sports (Football, Soccer, Hockey, Baseball, Basketball).
I can still watch the Tour de France and enjoy it, I can watch some mixed martial arts fights, surfing contests, some motor racing sports, motorcycle stunts.
These days, my viewing of sports on video seems to more geared toward "people are amazing" videos on YouTube, where you get to see the crazy things that are going on out there with people who are finding cool stuff to do that is a bit more on the fringe.

I've played the three codes, soccer, rugby and aussie rules. By far the most fun is aussie rules. Also watching live it can't be beaten. It is a 3 dimensional game, with the height factor used more than the other codes, it's fast, it continually moves and there is no offside or forward passes.

Although the game is looking more and more like basketball and soccer combined strategically. And the rules regarding contact are getting more and more 'softer'. Hence you are seeing more and more people taking dives, or pretending to be hit in the head...I suppose it was gonna happen.

American football is unbelievabley complex, used to enjoy watching it with my Yankee mates over a number of beers...great game if you understand it!

My second fav though is ice hockey, now that's a game of speed and big ass balls.

On the Brazilian front, yeh man billions poured in from the cup but I bet you only a very small percentage got any benefit from it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:27 am

Playing sport is a whole other thing - I'll play just about anything. Except Morris dancing.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse

Postby SLiiCK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am

I will second you on that with the sports,Morris Dancing they do it in my local town each weekend they always seem to be pissed dancing round with handkerchiefs and bells mind you I suppose they need to be to do this ,they even had a competition not sure how they fight that out with about 20 teams most surreal thing I have ever seen I soon left town :o

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:19 am

Huh. If drinking is involved, I might have to change my mind about it...

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm

s1buell_wl wrote: ...
No roads
No education
No real help for the struggling
Crime out of control
Many poor with no way out

Don't make a baby, if You can't afford one ;
don't expect me to feel sorry for Ya, if you do.

Brazil is mostly Catholic ;
Catholics don't believe in birth control .
See the irony here ?

Bille

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 pm

it would be interesting to know how much Brazil would have spend in advertising money for the reports about the country in all TV station around the world.

Advertising is an investment into the future. And I am sure the tourists who came had a great time and will report so back home, inspiring other people to go.

It is not only the money spent, one should also calculate what comes back in the next years., plus what came back right now during the worldcup.
I know all business in the hotel area made a big profit! Cumbuco prices for rooms tripled!

But sure, money was wasted...who needs a stadium in Manaus? Fifa should refund the money to Brazil that they let that happen. How stupid can people be? Amazingly stupid!

Brazil also has to fight corruption, crime, poverty and bureaucracy big time.
A friend of mine started a project for a guesthouse at a kite spot (nothing else there yet) and he tried for 5 years...I know a lot of the stories happening...if he wrote a book, no one else would invest in Brazil anymore, unbelievable! e.g. he had to make the tax papers for a lady who already died 10 years ago...

Germans might be better in soccer, but Brazilians are better in Kitesurf (well, Freestyle) ;-)

Go Germany, go Brazil. And good luck to Netherlands and Argentina! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”