rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Floating transition

Postby rightguard » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 am

Ok two part question...

First how do you do the floating jump transition? I'm doing a jump continuing to look forward while slowly bringing the kite towards the new direction. As I'm falling I keep diving the kite in the new direction while pulling the bar. I feel like I'm only doing about three quarters of the trick as I still fall out of the sky at the end and have no forward momentum in the new direction.

Can I loop to soften the landing?

With that is my second question. How do I do a softer loop? I've been trying the back roll with loop but seem to have a lot of pull on the loop, usually too much for a soft landing. I carve upwind while bringing the kite up and over. When I feel the pressure in my back hand I yank on the bar. It pulls me up threw the back roll but then I'm higher than I want to be and coming down fast. How do I soften the pull or landing?

I'm using Naish parks... 8m wind still scares me 10m is light and hard to do the trick with much umph.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Floating transition

Postby plummet » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 am

The simply way is to carve upwind a little harder, load and pop with slower speed. take the kite to the zenith rather than past and then keep pulling the back had to direct back down in the new direction.

Time it right you should stall at max height.

If you go higher than expected you can give the kite a small redirect forward then send it back to land in the new direction.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Plummet is right - you should try to carve upwind harder so you dont have too much forward speed, but instead convert your forward speed to height.

And when going up, you should NOT pull the kite towards the new direction, as then you will find you get a harder landing, and with ZERO pull in the kite because it has flown to the edge when you land :(

The trick is, to fly the kite UP, and not back, and then redirect it in the new direction hard on the way down.
Dont pull the bar too much - as this will slow the kite down and it often turns slower.

This can be done much easier, and not very risky, by downlooping the kite.

Same takeoff, same fly the kite almost straight up - and then pull hard for a downloop in the direction you were going, while looking in the new direction, and pointing the board a bit downwind for a good landing.

Really fun and not that hard, compared to a backloop kiteloop where you can easily get wrong timing and also get too powered for feeling good, when new to these :wink:

8) Peter

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:20 am

Peter_Frank wrote: Same takeoff, same fly the kite almost straight up - and then pull hard for a downloop in the direction you were going, while looking in the new direction, and pointing the board a bit downwind for a good landing.

Really fun and not that hard. 8) Peter
:thumb:
If i may add all downloops involve pulling at the right moment with the front / forward hand on the bar

From straight type jumps from heelside or from toeside ...and tweaked table top jumps

From forward looping jumps (1 1/2 total rotation) from heelside or from toeside...land on other tack
Those are quite safe and you come out of the move with no twist in the lines

You can do some backs from heelside or from toeside with a hard downloop at top of jump
This will give you 2 twists in the lines from doing a fun feeling 1/2 rotation with the board

The list goes on and on...you will come out of those downloop moves with nice board speed

(i'm on surfboards with those nicely cushioned North foot loops :wink: )

Have fun :D and float safely

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks... I'll try it

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 pm

ill add that downloop air transitions are a lot easier, i still suck at doing regular jump transitions but if you downloop the kite on the way down it's easy to ride in the other direction. with a jump transition you have to make sure you jump straight up (not forward) and redirect the kite at exactly the right moment so you have momentum to ride away.

for me with a c kite this is difficult because i send the kite past my head in a normal jump, which makes you want to pendulum, and is hard to get the kite to redirect without pulling you at a weird angle. i still have to get the timing right but air transitions look kind of gay to me so i never practice them :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”