Gear: North dyno 13
RRD obsession 10,5 and 7
Waveboard and a TT
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

light wind board to go with north dyno 13

Postby ag73 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:52 pm

I want to expand my wind range and get more days on the water by getting another board, have a TT and a wave board atm.

I've been looking at a few race like boards like the North Free Race, Cabrinha Alias, Cabrinha Transport and RRD K-free Race as options. In combination with my North Dyno 13m with 27m lines, will this type of board get me (75kg - intermediate/advanced skill level) going in winds from 10 knots and upward or how much will I need? I'm looking to get out and ride expedition style with occasional jumps and turns in the archipelagos on the Swedish west coast.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: light wind board to go with north dyno 13

Postby naishdude » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm

ag73 wrote:I want to expand my wind range and get more days on the water by getting another board, have a TT and a wave board atm.

I've been looking at a few race like boards like the North Free Race, Cabrinha Alias, Cabrinha Transport and RRD K-free Race as options. In combination with my North Dyno 13m with 27m lines, will this type of board get me (75kg - intermediate/advanced skill level) going in winds from 10 knots and upward or how much will I need? I'm looking to get out and ride expedition style with occasional jumps and turns in the archipelagos on the Swedish west coast.
just for your info
I have a 13m Ozone edge 2013 , Free raceboard Airush Sector 60 V2 ( sofa cruiser :thumb: )
and weigh 82 kg it gets me going and tacking in 10knts.
I had the Sector 60 V4 it even gets you going earlier...but sold it and got a V2 again, as the V4 was too racy /technical, V2 is more fun.
use it for cruising and touring....sounds nice place you have to do this!
dude :cool2:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Yes, it is a perfect combo and you will be able to ride in 10 knots and go upwind :naughty:

Much more fun IMO, with a freeride than a full raceboard, because of the jumping and trick ability, besides being much more relaxed to ride :thumb:

A waveboard is not really a light wind board, as you have discovered.
It can be ridden up to one kitesize smaller, yes, but it does not really go better upwind than a good TT.

Whereas a freeraceboard will give you what you want, still fun and jumps, great for touring and light wind with the Dyno 13 on 27m lines (dont go shorter, makes no sense with this kite, and longer will be boring).

8) Peter

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 am

naishdude wrote:
ag73 wrote:I want to expand my wind range and get more days on the water by getting another board, have a TT and a wave board atm.

just for your info
I have a 13m Ozone edge 2013 , Free raceboard Airush Sector 60 V2 ( sofa cruiser :thumb: )
and weigh 82 kg it gets me going and tacking in 10knts.
I had the Sector 60 V4 it even gets you going earlier...but sold it and got a V2 again, as the V4 was too racy /technical, V2 is more fun.
use it for cruising and touring....sounds nice place you have to do this!
dude :cool2:
... yep, + 1 for the Sector V2, tottaly agree with naishdude,,,,,,,, sofa cruiser indeed, fastest fun board ever.

I have the V3 66 also and always find I go to the V2 over the V3. And I totally agree, too racey when your in a lazy cruisey mood playing in 10 knots. Added to that, since the V2 is so easy to ride, I find it has better bottom end! I even got some mini tuttle to FCS adaptors and put surf board fins on it, lost upwind abilities but some fun in little waves, sure its no surfboard but riding in 10 knots can be fun too!

Check 'em out!

Robbie :D

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:39 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Much more fun IMO, with a freeride than a full raceboard, because of the jumping and trick ability, besides being much more relaxed to ride :thumb:
Not everyone prefers the freerace over the full raceboard though. I had a 59cm raceboard and now have a 69cm raceboard even though there is no one to race against. I think they are a blast to ride in 10 knots!

I've tried a few free race boards also, but when I rode them back to back with the real raceboard, they weren't as fast.

Freerace better for jumping? Probably. But that's not what these boards are for! You're not going to get any real height on a 13m in 10 knots. Wait til the wind picks up a few more knots for jumping. Until then, go fast on the flat water! And the Raceboard is faster :D

Price difference is negligible now that everyone is dumping their raceboards for foils.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 am

I have a 13m cabrinha crossbow and from 10knts up I am good to go on a shinn king George 146 by 46 upwind, I can ride at 8-9knots with it but cant stay upwind, if its say 8 to 12 knots I got no problems upwind. My weight is 73kg.
I have also tried a flyrace flydoor and could stay upwind in under 10knts.....I say this as I found the race boards to bulky to travel with and a large twin tip could also do the job your looking for.

ag73
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
RRD obsession 10,5 and 7
Waveboard and a TT

Postby ag73 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 pm

thanks for all the input, many good points! I'm leaning towards a free race type but must admit davesails7 got me thinking a bit. This board is not the board I'm hoping to use, more of a good to have board. As soon as the wind picks up i will choose my TT or wave board.

I have a windsurfing background so I'm not unfamiliar with riding of the fins so to speak.

Which board will be faster downwind, a big race board or a smaller free race? Will this difference be very noticeable?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 pm

ag73 wrote:thanks for all the input, many good points! I'm leaning towards a free race type but must admit davesails7 got me thinking a bit. This board is not the board I'm hoping to use, more of a good to have board. As soon as the wind picks up i will choose my TT or wave board.

I have a windsurfing background so I'm not unfamiliar with riding of the fins so to speak.

Which board will be faster downwind, a big race board or a smaller free race? Will this difference be very noticeable?
The difference will not be noticeable no.
In more wind, the freerace is faster because of smaller fins, but as said, about the same.

It is way easier though, to ride fast downwind on a freeride, and particulary jibing when going fast is easier.
But one could also see this as a challenge instead, going for the full raceboard.

Regarding "not being the board you hope to use" - I can say, that you will most likely LOVE such a board :thumb:
When I got mine (have had a few), I got loads of good hours on the water, jumping, having fun, touring - and even occasionally riding waves which is a blast too :naughty:
Earlier, I would just have tried riding on a TT or Waveboard and useless boring and stupid actually...
But with a freerace I have had so many days on this one from the start, or when the wind drops, you just change board and have a great time out there.

That was definitely my next best board investment ever :D
Beware, the you might need weed fins too, especially with a full raceboard where it is even more critical.
But they dont ride on their fins well, with weed fins :roll:
Although still fun and going ealier and especially good upwind.

8) Peter

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:49 pm

freerace:
no new skill required. if you ride a surf board, you're there already
fast, good upwind, great for jibing, jumps, very comfortable for long cruises
more versatile

race:
new skills required. for a short time you'll be feeling like a beginner.
very fast in minimal wind, especially up and down wind, jibing ... well it sucks imho. jumping not really recommended. more physically demanding for cruising. quite a bit bulkier even compared to 60cm freerace, especially if you're lazy like me and don't want to remove fins all the time.

From a windsurfer perspective, freerace is like a good light wind freeride board, race is like a formula.
Do not go with smaller freerace. it will limit your low end. Get ~60cm wide one. If you go for Sector, I agree with previous comments, try to get V2 or the first "One design" - the same board - different graphics. V5 might be ok, just haven't seen it yet

ag73
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
RRD obsession 10,5 and 7
Waveboard and a TT

Postby ag73 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 pm

great input Borist, I've got my mind made up now, it will be a free race type. Now I just have to find a suitable one, close and fast, vacation just started :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”