Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Off Duty Firefighter Killed Kitesurfing on Oregon Coast

Postby RickI » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:03 am

I am sorry to hear about Dale's loss. My condolences go out to his family and friends. From what I have read, he was well liked and respected in the community.

There is very little information online about what happened. Some in the media call it a drowning while others make no specific comment. The wind record was fairly light as others have said. It is possible that the accident wasn't seen by anyone making understanding what happened a lot harder. Given the small amount of repeated information online, it isn't feasible to say much more at this time about causes from those sources.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:11 pm

This is awful news to read. Really sorry to hear of this and my thoughts go out to his family and loved ones. Damn. Sounds like a great guy.

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blancoh2o » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Dale is a very close friend of mine. It is so nice for all of you to post the nice things you have so far. I am sure there will be more post and photos of Dale on this forum in the next few days.
I know many of you have questions about what happened. All I can say is Dale did nothing wrong. He was a competent and conservative kiter. There was no big kite mare or trauma associated with his death. The wind was light and the waves were small. Dale didn't make any bad decisions that lead to his death.
Let's focus on all that is good about Dale and honor his family by making tributes to an amazing man.
We are having a beach ceremony on Thursday and then the fire department is having a memorial on Saturday. Both will be very casual to honor what Dale would have wanted.
I am riding in a fundraiser called Kiteboard4Cancer on Saturday and I am dedicating my day to Dale. Here is the link to my fundraising page: http://donate.athletes4cancer.org/fundraise?fcid=301725
There is also an account established to help Dale's family through the transition. I will post more information about that later.
Steve

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes Dale was a great guy and one of the safest person I ever met. He was always giving me a hard time before going kiting. Any way, this is a funny picture of Dale having a great time.
Attachments
Dale and Helen showing the good stuff.jpg
Dale and Helen showing the good stuff.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”