Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Nugget 2014 5'2 or 5'5?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

North Nugget 2014 5'2 or 5'5?

Postby omg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 pm

hi guys, I am now very close to finally destroy 2013 nugget which I like a lot but the construction is not holding up nomore for strapless riding. Got it repaired twice now and the deck is soft under the back foot.

So, I need to look for a new lightwind board and Nugget 2014 it is I guess. However, which one should I pick, the 5'2 or 5'5? What's the difference between the two, like early planing etc?

I weigh 80kgs plus the suit etc. so 85kgs wet I guess. The waves are small, mush and the quickness of the board is appreciated (turning, swing when doing aerials etc.). What's your take, is there a difference in early planing or chop handling etc between the two?

Thanks and good winds!

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Nugget 2014 5'2 or 5'5?

Postby Puetz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:02 am

omg wrote:hi guys, I am now very close to finally destroy 2013 nugget which I like a lot but the construction is not holding up nomore for strapless riding. Got it repaired twice now and the deck is soft under the back foot.

So, I need to look for a new lightwind board and Nugget 2014 it is I guess. However, which one should I pick, the 5'2 or 5'5? What's the difference between the two, like early planing etc?

I weigh 80kgs plus the suit etc. so 85kgs wet I guess. The waves are small, mush and the quickness of the board is appreciated (turning, swing when doing aerials etc.). What's your take, is there a difference in early planing or chop handling etc between the two?

Thanks and good winds!
... hey omg,

I have the 5'5" and my missus has the 5'2". The 2 boards are very different actually and the long and short of it is, the 5'2" is the closest to the 5'0".

But,,, there is always a but, if you want to get the same bottom end as your original board then you have to go to the 5'5" but since it isn't as playful as the 5'2", you sort of have to work out which bit you'd sacrifice. And don't get me wrong, they are both still very fun boards, definetely, just not as easy slidie fun as the old one. Both the newer ones are a bit more surfboardie with better grip in turns so both handle stronger winds better.

One thing is for sure, the newer nuggets are very strong, for a light board, so far I've got no heal dents or fin box cracks, nada, and to keep it in perspective, the 5'5" is my bread and butter board for the last 6 months which I love riding well powered using the edge to control the power and I'm a super heavy weight. Absolutely blows me away, no heal dents yet.

The newer nuggets have a narrower tail compared to the older one but to get the same bottom end they put slightly bigger drivie fins on the rear so now you can ride with much more power, drive harder in the turns but harder to break fins out on cut backs. The boards tracks straighter and handle speed much better too, not as bouncy as the older one.

So, back to the question at hand, essentially the 5'5" has better bottom end, less bouncy at speed and tracks straighter than the 5'2" but when riding smaller waves the 5'2" snaps around quicker and slightly more playful, amazing how 3" can make such a difference. When the wind picks up or you want to ride bigger waves then the 5'5" is better imo, carving nice big fast carves. I also find the bigger one has better upwind but probably due to the fact that it handles more drive better.

Hope this helps.

Robbie :D

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:07 am

+1 what Robbie says!!

cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cnski » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 am

I'm looking for a 2012 nugget. Is my all time favorite version.

Icikite
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Icikite » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 am

cnski wrote:I'm looking for a 2012 nugget. Is my all time favorite version.
I have one for sale. PM sent

JonathanL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dubai
Been thanked: 0

Postby JonathanL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Sorry to bring up and old post.
I'm looking to buy a nugget and I'm asking the same question. 5'2 or 5'5?
I'm 76kg and live in a really light wind area. I'm looking to use the Nugget in 8 to 13 knots with an 18m and a 12m.
Our waves are pretty limited so it's really for practising strapless moves in light wind.
I'm leaning towards the 5'5.
Nuggetteers please advise.
Best

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:17 pm

5 ' 5 No Question. Read Puetzs Post just above.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Puetz is spot on. I find the 5.5 a bit better for me. Think it's odd North went a bit more surfy with this, since my Whip does a great job at that. Very slideable and fun in small waves. I also have a 2012 nugget and its a nice difference. Now, the newer nugget feels a bit in between. The old nugget was just a gem. Slingshot space pickle is similar if anyone wants a more old nugget feel.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:12 am

Well I'm only 74kg and after riding my mates, 2012,2013 and 2014 nuggets FINNALLY got a 5'2 in the new TT construction. Having a blast so far and I didn't realise you could do board offs with a nugget :D

My mate in haven't surf puts josh mulcoy fins in it, allows you the break the fins much easier. Getting some myself, felt great with those fins.

Opens up a whole new world of strapped and strapless riding, love it. Pair it with an efficient kite like a dyno and damn you can get out and have power in light winds. Brilliant.

Return to “Kitesurfing”