Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What the deal with Core ?

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What the deal with Core ?

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:37 am

@dylan: I'm not sure it is exactly the same. It does not only deflag on a single line, it uses the second line to put the kite in the right position for the relaunch. That is not how almost all flagging systems work now...

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Starsky wrote:
PinkNorthPride wrote: Just scratch beneath the surface, there's lots cool about Core and compare to a Fuel, it's US Muscle car over European Hi Tech Engineering, Mustang v Audi R8, or Porche..

Well, not that kites and cars are much for comparison, but bullshit marketing is simply that and ubiquitous in the kite game, "Hi Tech" European brands included...... maybe even more so. (the fuel doesn't have the word precision currently on its manufacturers web page..... the GTS 3..... uses it three times on the same page)

My point was more that fuels have been at the very top of the performance game in THIS sport for going on 14? years and continue to be amongst kites that set a benchmark that all other kite companies/marketing departments emulate. I think we can all agree, Ferarri/Porche are kind of the simple icons of performance cars. Kites and cars are not comparable, but icons are. Not many car companies market their mustang like handling and precision feel! Core has a ways to go before they reach icon status in this sport and tho it might suit their marketing needs to claim European super car/kite engineering in their techno speak, simply marketing their hybrid as having a "future C Shape" and "C-kite feeling at its very best", does not make it a Porsche, I mean Ferrari, sorry, I mean C kite

When claiming both models they make as exceptional in all facets of the sport and touting engineering feats that have been standard equipment since the first Legaignoux patents, its hard to think of them as anything more than a pretty fast Honda that only comes in one paint job.
Your point should be more that Fuel riders have been at the top of the performance game and of course they're currently queuing up to ride the bridled Fuel this fall - not and the way the RPM frictionless bridle was shipped and not recalled could have been handled better, lots of riders hung out to dry with another Slingshot warranty nightmare and dealers stuck with the problem.

You need to see, touch and fly one rather than dribbling into your keyboard, my bet? I know at least two markets where more GTS3's than Fuels will be demanded by riders that want a little more for their money. Slingshot will need to look to their Laurels if Core ever gets traction stateside, taking out North in their home market, yeah like that happened with no grounds in product reality.

It's just progress now and again a new brand shows up and folk want it, are very happy with what they ride and tell others. No Lenten, No Youri Zoon, No Ben Wilson, Jeff Tobias Martin Vari, or all the guys who made Slingshot (they don't seem to hold onto them why is that?).

So the deal with Core? One to watch and one to definitely try if you get chance, did I hear Real are selling them now? What do they think?

clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby clydesdale » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:43 pm

grown to despise the bar.

needs a wider bar for bigger kites- yes can ride it fine cruising around but sending the 17m hard for jumps not enough leverage to whip it around and get it back forward easily.

the pull-down untwist feature is nice when chicken depower rope is new and slick, but it quickly starts wearing. I'd rather have a swivel.

replacing the chicken look line is about 60$ vs 15-20$ on most other kites.

needs longer depower throw- many times slow speeds fine but get apparent wind going and bar gets pegged to top of range against cleat, have to pull depower. slow down and have to repower up, then build apparent wind and pegged against cleat.

high Y is annoying cant really find other bars to use on it. wish all kites were low v's. flown 17m xr3 on slingshot 23inch bar with low v front lines- ok light wind but once mid teens flairs it too much and handles very badly

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

PinkNorthPride wrote:
Starsky wrote:
PinkNorthPride wrote:...
...So the deal with Core? One to watch and one to definitely try if you get chance, did I hear Real are selling them now? What do they think?
pot and kettle...
-one oriented on american another on german patriotism, two biggest markets
-that is why both are overpriced and overrated
-one pressuring on old worn "legendary bomb-proof quality" another on same cliché "legendary german engineering", but both are really being todays chinese medium level
-one has some more years of history than the other, and some more achievements consequently
-graphics of both of them are neutral boring
-neither has any really "revolutionary" idea in them beside from marketing crap

so since 99,9% of us don't participate in high level of competitions it is really the matter of accessibility, good price and decent support. and who cares what real sells? they'd probably sell their souls if there will be good margin...

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Starsky wrote:
PinkNorthPride wrote:...
...So the deal with Core? One to watch and one to definitely try if you get chance, did I hear Real are selling them now? What do they think?
[/quote]
pot and kettle...
-one oriented on american another on german patriotism, two biggest markets
-that is why both are overpriced and overrated
-one pressuring on old worn "legendary bomb-proof quality" another on same cliché "legendary german engineering", but both are really being todays chinese medium level
-one has some more years of history than the other, and some more achievements consequently
-graphics of both of them are neutral boring
-neither has any really "revolutionary" idea in them beside from marketing crap

so since 99,9% of us don't participate in high level of competitions it is really the matter of accessibility, good price and decent support. and who cares what real sells? they'd probably sell their souls if there will be good margin...
Amen!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 pm

You can slag slingy all you want, it wont raise a hair on my neck... Hell, I'll join you. What was it, the Link! Hell I think that was probably one of the worst kites ever put out,,,, by any brand. I'm no shill. I slag any company who puts bullshit out and calls it special sauce. I buy my kites and have zero affiliation with any brand. I have no two pieces of kit from the same brand at the moment, boards, harnesses, kites, bars, and every other piece of gear purpose picked. Have been in this game long enough to know what is hype and what is real and Im good enough to feel the difference. At this point, I'd never trade freedom of choice for a cheap shop ride, and am happy to choose what suits me over whats currently in style.

I made no unprovoked comments toward Core whatsoever. Every single bit of tongue in cheek ribbing I've dished out is basically comment on their marketing, not their performance. As stated, would love to test their kite, and rather like the look and feel of their bar. You brand pimps are just a touch too sensitive. Read the copy on your own sites with an open mind and you cant help have a giggle. Seriously, what is the deal with an "optimized and aerodynamically inteligent arc" That whole fucking blurb is complete and utter bullshit as every inflatable on the planet flares when you sheet em in and narrows when you sheet out. C'mon, if your gonna try and bash me, at least come with a decent counter point. To simply bash Brand X is weak sauce, especially when Brand X has in some way made a bit of a legacy in the sport! We were jousting over analogies, and it was fun, but you cant seem to take it when someone manages to show you up.

P.S. as for core outselling fuels...... Honda outsells Porsche

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:38 am

Hey all I've ever pimped is a bar flower for us not entirely heterosexual North Riders :wink: nor do I own a Core, (yet I might soon) I'm on this thread as a fact finder to which end it's been very useful.
I understood they were built in Sri Lanka, not china and if you're old enough or were a windsurfer using North Sails you'd know they have no choice but to build to higher quality levels to compete precisely because they don't have folk living in cardboard boxes outside their factories like China.

Anyway we don't see them here in the UK, but that might be changing soon, so it's been useful reading both the pro's and cons, i still think they're a better bet than say Cabrinha that charges ridiculous money for crap material, and don't even talk about lefty flying Best.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48 am

Yes I was just looking for some facts also. Thanks for all the input EDT and Westozzy and others. I also talked to a friend who rides for Core and he said pump it harder, I will pump again even harder and test it 1 more time. I was scared to pump much harder because it is a demo but guy said do it.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Bests are made in Sri Lanka as well ;)

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am

PinkNorthPride wrote:Hey all I've ever pimped is a bar flower for us not entirely heterosexual North Riders :wink: nor do I own a Core, (yet I might soon) I'm on this thread as a fact finder to which end it's been very useful.
I understood they were built in Sri Lanka, not china and if you're old enough or were a windsurfer using North Sails you'd know they have no choice but to build to higher quality levels to compete precisely because they don't have folk living in cardboard boxes outside their factories like China.

Anyway we don't see them here in the UK, but that might be changing soon, so it's been useful reading both the pro's and cons, i still think they're a better bet than say Cabrinha that charges ridiculous money for crap material, and don't even talk about lefty flying Best.
Seems that Best and Core use the same factory, Have a look in the background of this video to see plenty of yellow white and black kites. Can we expect the same quality of panel cutting and stitching that beast have gone through recently?

Return to “Kitesurfing”