Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

how to get from norfolk airport to cape hatterras

Postby Oldpeople » Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 am

We are flying into norfolk airport in september for two weeks of kiting at cape hatterras near the Real center. I haven't been able to figure out the best way to get from the airport to the real center. (our rental house is near there) the other couple we are going with is driving up from florida so we will have a car for when we are there. Any suggestions for getting from the airport and then back to the airport at the end of the trip? Are there shuttles, buses?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: how to get from norfolk airport to cape hatterras

Postby BWD » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 am

Virginian here, not too young myself, been down the road to Hatteras/OBX a good bit.
Do it just like the google maps directions says, it will work.
Traffic can be heavy, but at least you are already on the right side of the tunnels!
Better than if you were coming down I-95, I-64 like me.
have fun...

Definitely rent a car, if that is what you are trying to ask, it will come in handy @ OBX.
In fact to be on OBX sans car for more than 24h might drive you mad.
It's America, you know....

And finally, if you are too cheap to rent a car, and going in September, when there is often no wind at all, change your plans, there are better ways to have fun, even for old people. Seriously, September is the one moth with the most risk of no wind, and the most risk of getting hit by a hurricane.
Then again with luck you could get grazed by an offshore storm and have wind and huge swell.
It's quite a gamble....

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 am

In theory there are puddle jumpers from Norfolk to Kitty Hawk and a bus into Manteo (I have done both), but that really does not get you anything unless you have someone to pick you up. There might be a shuttle into the Northern beaches. Bottom line, rent a car and drive that is what 99.99% of the people do.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA
Been thanked: 0

Postby robg » Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 am

If you check google ( i just did) you will find several shuttle services that offer what you are looking for. Google has the answer to almost any question you will ever have.

We had a friend do this once. I believe the cost is at least $100 per person each way with a discount for larger groups. It works fine but the cost would go a long way toward paying for a car rental. That is what I would do. The drive from the airport to Rodanthe is 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

If your group has more than one car downwinders become an option which is one of the best reasons to go to Hatteras.

If you are there for two weeks do not worry you will get wind at least a few days but you should have a plan b for days with no wind. There should also be a few days with good waves.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri May 09, 2014 12:00 pm

It will be cheaper to rent a car by the time all is said and done. It's a 2.5 hour drive from the airport and when I did the shuttle, it was $180 one way. Get a cheap rental and you'll be financially better off.

motorbreath
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Rebel, Ozone Edge

Postby motorbreath » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 pm

When exactly are you guys going? I'm looking at spending the final week of September in Hatteras but don't have anyone to go with. Cheers Dirk

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:21 pm

This is an issue I tried to find a creative way to deal with for years. I have almost done it all - taken cabs/car service to Nags Head and had a friend from Buxton pick me up for the last stretch, used a car service from Hatteras to Norfolk, heck I even chartered a plane from Norfolk to Frisco when the new inlet was born and I had a house booked. All are options, but as others have said, you will pay a fair chunk of change with which you can rent a car. While its frustrating to have two cars sitting in the driveway when you only need one, its the best option. In fact, that's what will happen this September when I am there....

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 am

Rent a car. The whole point of Hatteras is downwinders, anything from N to SW will work on either the N or S ends of the island on the ocean side. Anything more westerly and you are stuck in the sound, but having two cars makes it all so much easier. If you have only one car, on a SW day I recommend riding the ferry to Ocracoke and kiting back to Hatteras and walking onto the ferry to get back. You can do three or even four cycles in a day. I've only done it the other way a couple of times on an easterly, which is rare. Don't be scared of the inlet, it is all fun, but wear a lifejacket just in case. Otherwise you are stuck hitchhiking back to your car, which works most of the time, but when you get stuck it sucks.

Return to “Travel”