raddec
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2015 Airush Team Series

Postby raddec » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 am

Anyone test new razor yet? What's it like?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 am

I have two riders here who came to Airush this season with a number of sessions on the 2014 team series Razor, before they decided to commit to a full quiver for 2015. Pete's review in full is here;

http://www.forcesix.com/2015-airush-raz ... eview.html
Conclusions
The Razors true strength lies in its lack of significant weaknesses, as C kites tend to be performance at a cost. Its great stability, decent wind range, safety system and relaunch make it user friendly and confidence inspiring. The excellent bar is simple yet very comfortable and offers many tuning options when combined with the attachment options on the kite. From a performance point of view it just gets better, big boosting, fast powerful looping and excellent pop and slack which is plain to see if you watch any of Alex Pastor's videos.
As with any C kite, its best kept out of the hands of beginners, but is surely a great choice for any aspiring freestyler or anyone after an aggressive, boosty ride.
From what I hear (and I am yet to try personally) the kites do feel slightly different with a bit more positive bar pressure, but this is actually an element that I was tuning into my own personal Razor setups last year (with a bit more 5th line tension).

I am hearing only positive things...

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Interesting. Any news on the 2015 Lithium ? Still love those..

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:43 pm

yeah, how much you earn "selling" to a team rider?

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn

Postby peet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Really getting on well with the razor, love the comfort it offers from what is a hardcore C. Loops like a beast, pop, slack and feedback is awesome. The bigger sizes fly like a size smaller which is just a real stand-out feature of the razors, but you can tune them to however fast/slow you desire.

If you're after a performance freestyle kite, you gotta try one of these :)

AMcM
Rare Poster

Postby AMcM » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Hey guys,

I have been riding the 2015 Team Series Razors for a good few weeks now. With winds not being too great lately, I have only used the 11m in a variety of wind conditions., but my first impressions are wow! I did fly the 2014 9m Razor for sometime and with a quiver of 2015s, I think I have found a kite that I can definelty take forward in improving my Freestyle trick pot.

Initial impressions for the 2015 Razor is that 'Yes' it has been changed compared to the 2014. Bar pressure was a small issue when flying the 2014 kite as it was quite light for me. This was more to the fact that 5th line was slack in 2014. To get the correct bar pressure, I would have to tighten up the 5th line to allow me to get that correct feel. Of course this is how like to set up my kites (to have some bar pressure) so just my opinion. With the new 2015 Razors, the bar pressure is definelty there as the 5th line has been tightened up. By all means, not too much in terms that it is unacceptable, but certainly enough for the rider to know what the kite is doing through the sky.

The Razor is built and moulded as an aggressive C kite and it certainly puts that image across when sitting on the beach and flying through the sky. It gives a true meaning to a C kite as the wing tips are very swept back and gives the impression of that Capital C. BUT, flying both he 2014 and 2015 Razors, they are certainly rider friendly. Of course not a beginner kite, but in my opinion, a kite that a rider can certainly improve with in terms of Freestyle. Power delivery is very smooth and very manageable, when the wind picks up so it's not going to scare you to bits. A couple of strokes through the window and the kite has you off edging through the water. It is quite nice to have a kite that you can just park and ride. Of course we all know that any kite will do this when the conditions are correct. Low end is good on the 11m and so is the top end. Anything lower than 17/18knots and the 13m will be out. I tell a lie, I have had the 13m out once! It does have a decent low end and is quick for a big kite! :D

The pop and slack on this kite is insane! Initiating the unhook, edge then the pop and BANG! The POP and SLACK are very noticeable. I am not a wizard at the unhooking moves but certainly can pop out an S Bend or two. Still trying for my first blind judge, the 2015 Razor is certainly a kite that I feel confident with in gaining that first air pass.

Oh and not to mention the looping...... If you like the odd kite loop now and again this kite will put a smile on your face. It's insane :rollgrin:

I am flying the AP Razors and nothing is different from the normal Team Series in terms of build or flying characteristics, but the colour scheme is certainly has a small change. Airush have introduced the AP bar for the coming season. Now, I have both the smart bar 6 and the AP bar, and these different. Thinner diameter grip and shorter overall bar allows for a different feel. The grip on the smart bar is noticeably larger when coming from the AP bar. The option is available on the AP bar to put a MASSIVE chicken loop on which is good for the freestyle lot (I have this on the bar). Depower/power straps are not as big as the smart bar. By this I mean, they don't dangle too far down so they stay out the way. Thicker line lengths all round. Also the overall line length is shorter on the AP bar I believe.

I am very impressed with the 2015 Razors. The feedback is very good, it's quick through the air (this can be tuned to make it slower if you wish) it relaunches well considering it is a C kite and we all know that these types of kites can be a pain in the neck at time. Up to now I have no issue with relaunch - give the line a tug and it's up! Finally, if you are after a kite that will give you the performance and confidence to go big, nail a trick, you need to give e 2015 Airush Razor some consideration. :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

Usually living in the UK, I am currently in Portland, OR for he next 4 weeks visiting a good friend of mine, My plan is to kitesurf as much as possible, so keep an eye out for me around the Gorge. I am currently at Manzanita for the weekend so you may see me out at the coast.

I am writing this massively jet lag after arriving yesterday, so apologies if it doesn't make sense! :thumb:

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
Andrew

Return to “Kitesurfing”