Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby mdksniper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm

flyingweasel wrote:
What you have done there is not too clever for several reasons. Firstly you have destroyed the tubes integrity(that is what it started life as) , secondly your rope has 2 "bends" , this is by no means suitable for intended purpose. For $5 you could hire a welder to line your abortion with tube and go that route ....or have them weld a suitable d ring to the bar on the horizontal plane and go that route.

What would help you the most is a rigging course....let us know when you have "DISCOVERED"

Swaged sockets....

You are an idiot and a cheap one at that.

You do realize that the images he posted are mock ups and not something that he actually uses when kiting? If not, then the only idiot here is you, douchebag.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm

snowycreek wrote:
File comment: When you want to make prototypes you end up with a lot of stuff.
"You are preaching to the choir", my Canadian friend!

:D :D
Attachments
basement stuff.jpg
Tuck tape.jpg

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 pm

mdksniper wrote:
flyingweasel wrote:
What you have done there is not too clever for several reasons. Firstly you have destroyed the tubes integrity(that is what it started life as) , secondly your rope has 2 "bends" , this is by no means suitable for intended purpose. For $5 you could hire a welder to line your abortion with tube and go that route ....or have them weld a suitable d ring to the bar on the horizontal plane and go that route.

What would help you the most is a rigging course....let us know when you have "DISCOVERED"

Swaged sockets....

You are an idiot and a cheap one at that.

You do realize that the images he posted are mock ups and not something that he actually uses when kiting? If not, then the only idiot here is you, douchebag.

Flyingwheezer is a bit of an idiot, people like her kill creativity and discussion. Click on her profile link, the click 'add foe' and all her posts will be filtered out.

I think us older guys who were around when kitesurfing first happened are used to modifying our kit. When i started there weren't kiteboards, we used old wake boards and bodyboards... these new guys seem to get scared by this tinkering... but slap a North sticker on it and charge 10 times as much and they lap it up ..... lol

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 pm

tomatkins awesome picture!

Now I don't feel so bad about all my kite parts :-)

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 pm

I would like to add one more phenomenon to the "compatible material" potential problem… "Galling"…

This is why "unlike" materials are used, where rubbing is likely.

Below is a picture of the early generation primary quick release, used by a few manufacturers. A lot can be said about the pros and cons of this "slide-bolt" type of release. Here is a 'bonus' question for you old-timers: "What was the major short-coming of this style release?"

One of the good design features of this type of release was the use of "fabric" webbing tubes for the stainless steel pin to slide through. The use of stainless steel tubes presented problems with "galling" and type one or two pitting corrosion, along with abrasion from trapped sand particles. A metallurgist could go on and on about this kind of compatibility problem. I have gone on long enough… :D

Below is a picture of the old "slide-bolt" release, right next to an invention prototype, where the "slide-bolt" mechanism was located inside the bar itself… and was used to quick disconnect the end of the slider rope, in an emergency, in the case of a primary release malfunction. This is just another example of how a device could be hidden inside a spreader bar... food for thought...

"Galling is a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together. Galling is caused by a combination of friction and adhesion between the surfaces, followed by slipping and tearing of crystal structure beneath the surface. This will generally leave some material stuck or even friction welded to the adjacent surface, while the galled material may appear gouged with balled-up or torn lumps of material stuck to its surface.
Galling is most commonly found in metal surfaces that are in sliding contact with each other. It is especially common where there is inadequate lubrication between the surfaces. However, certain metals will generally be more prone to galling, due to the atomic structure of their crystals. For example, aluminum is a metal which will gall very easily, whereas annealed (softened) steel is slightly more resistant to galling. Steel that is fully hardened is very resistant to galling.
Galling is a common problem in most applications where metals slide while in contact with other metals. This can happen regardless of whether the metals are the same or of different kinds. Metals such as brass are often chosen for bearings, bushings, and other sliding applications because of their resistance to galling, as well as other forms of mechanical abrasion"……Wikipedia reference.
Attachments
slide-bolt release.jpg

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar

Postby snowycreek » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Tomatkins: (and others, you know who you are)
I think we could probably get a group discount on some kind of therapy.

I staged the first shot of my "parts department" but a picture of it in its normal state could practically be overlaid on you picture. I nearly split my gut laughing when I saw the picture of your research area but it is comforting to know that we are not alone.

And, BTW, the Tuck tape is a nice touch, eh?
Attachments
garage floor.jpg
My parts department when not posing for a picture. Note the Tuck tape in the closest bin

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 pm

So, I figured I'd throw my setup out here for critique. I think a lot of what I've seen is unduly complex and prone to getting sand jammed up in it. My setup consists of an old Caution bar, which I love for many reasons not having to do with the loop, an Antal low friction ring, some spectra line, and an old POS Dakine spreader with the hook lopped off.

The original plan was simply that I wanted to try a slider bar without forking out $$$ for a Jay. (No dig at Jay, I just didn't know if I'd like a slider.) Turns out I absolutely love it. So, for an outlay of $25 here's what I came up with. Simple, nothing to jam, safe release, and the best wave riding system I've ever tried.
Attachments
2014-07-24 12.23.51.jpg
2014-07-24 12.23.36.jpg
2014-07-24 12.22.31.jpg
2014-07-24 12.21.59.jpg
2014-07-24 12.21.46.jpg

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:02 am

very nice Bushflyr

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:08 am

flyingweasel wrote:Seriously....what you want could be fabricated in half an hour to a very high/market standard.

Back to back pelican type hooks in 3 or 4 mm stainless rod between the harness bar and chicken loop line operated off the same bit of loose rigid plastic tubing sheathed in 8mm double nylon backed neoprene so as to release on either push or pull. Secured tubing as standard on 3 mm boingee. On the harness bar either plate or tube, a conforming lifting eye 6 to 8mm replaceable large dia. or preferably d ring in 6 to 8 mm welded through tube/plate. At the chicken loop line either straight to depower rope or through a conforming to hook link, type master.

I would like to see a drawing of this device... or better yet a little mock-up model in whatever materials you have at hand...paper, tape, pvc pipe...nothing fancy...You know, the kind of models that others have presented for illustration of the basic principles of the components involved in the device.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Kitesurfing”