Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you remember landing your first kiteloop?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Do you remember landing your first kiteloop?

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 pm

unhooked has the advantage of letting go of the bar when you are about to crash.
This way you will crash with less power. If you are hooked in, you will get the 100% power of the loop when you crash.

Important is, you have to commit to the loop...don't stop it half way...this way it will loop all the way and can catch you again.

If you want to do it with a bigger kite, stay low, don't go too high...

Fly the kite over the zenith, then loop it. If you loop it before the zenith, you will get more lift....

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Jeff has the best videos:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:45 pm

it depends on the kite a bit, i learned on a 12m envy, probably the worst kite possible for kiteloops but the best kite to learn on since they just pivot in a little circle. i just did a small jump and sent the kite all the way around and landed it first try, was amazed at how easy they are. with a bigger kite and not much power, the kite doesn't make it all the way around before you land, so you don't get much of a pull at all. just do a very small jump and pull the kite around as tight as possible

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm 39 and have been kiting for 15 years or so.

Landed my first good kiteloop this year, man-o-man it feels good to have finally nailed it. Took me a long time to realise that it was my crappy old pre 2010 kit that was holding me back.

I was quite powered on my 7m Obsession, did a nice big boost and just fuckin pulled the back bar, loop it's nutt off and as the kite came round to catch me I depowered, the kite flew to the top of the window and I cruised through the air with a big grin on my face and eventually landed.

That was the first time I managed to loop it and be 100% sure of what was going to happen. Done some monsters on other kites and had about 20% success rate.

Just set yourself a target. "I'm gunna do 10 kiteloops a session." and just do them, light wind, nuking, gusty, big kite, small kite. Big loops, little ones. Whatever. Just do 10. And then do another 10. And when you've done 100 you'll have done 1 good one. Next, do another 100 and get another good one. Get known as 'that guy never fucking quits.... look at him, he's still trying to loop that kite...'

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Kjorn, while I respect and at times even share your mentalility, I think it's only responsible to mention to most non looping kiters here that learning the way you learned will come home to roost for most riders and create a lot of injury and or death. It isn't very hard to get knocked unconscious with your method. I had a friend; good kiter in good shape get knocked out cold trying a simple back roll kiteloop. He would have drowned if others weren't there to save him.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:22 am

thanks for all the advice , I will keep the tips in mind.

I am not anywhere near ready to attempt it currently, but I just think this is the coolest thing I've seen in kiting and I definitely want to learn it down the road.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:24 am

jbdc wrote:Jeff has the best videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKXf0SWneg
yeah , I saw his tutorial. I like all his tutorials , very detailed explanations.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:53 am

Landed my first good kiteloop this year, man-o-man it feels good to have finally nailed it. Took me a long time to realise that it was my crappy old pre 2010 kit that was holding me back.
Doubt it was the kit, people have been kite looping for years well before 2010

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.

Postby Timop » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:57 am

Have a look at CK performance know how video's. They take you through step by step. these are really good!!!

http://www.ckperformanceclinics.co.uk/know-how/

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Postby boardjockey » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:23 pm

JaZone wrote:I would like to know how long it was before you tried doing a kiteloop.

I've watched a lot of videos online , and this is something I'd like to try eventually , but I want to make sure I don't get damaged trying to learn how to do it. Kiteloops are one of the more extreme tricks to this sport, which if done incorrectly could result in some serious injuries , so I thought I'd get some feedback on how others learned how to do it.

I've seen tutorials where guys do it unhooked, which seems a lot harder to me. But I was also thinking that if you are hooked in and it goes wrong , you might be in for a pretty hard landing as well.

What's the easiest way to go about learning how to perfect this ?
unhooked , or hooked in?
light wind with a small kite?

one tutorial I watched , the guy said to start looping the kite from lower in the window so you don't get as much height , so the crash won't be as hard , if you don't make it.
Start with 7m C kite (North Vegas or similar). Do a bunch of surface transitions back looping the kite with both hands on the bar. Push / pull leverage with your hands and hold through the loop. Do not sheet out during the loop no matter how awkward if feels. I think it's important to train the brain not to sheet out during the loop before trying one higher in the air. Good luck!

Return to “Kitesurfing”