Attachments
image.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: BRM control system

Postby tautologies » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:49 am

cleepa wrote:
tautologies wrote:I don't think the throw will not be that big. His kites just don't need it.
I would expect it to be big. Greg has a preference for this for his style of riding. I also love it with my Clouds. I recently went from having short throw to really long throw and have found it incredibly beneficial. The immediate benefit is not getting yanked so hard when whipping the kite across the window. You are also able to kill even more power in the kite - to the point where it is fun to try it because you've never seen a kite do that before! But I think the most interesting thing is the options it opens up for kite positioning during turns/manouevres that I just wouldn't try before because the kite would pull too hard.
ronnie wrote:
cleepa wrote: Huuuuge throw!
Yes, and there must be a reason for that, and how would a stopper work? - if there is one.

I'm wondering if it is designed for the Cloud Strutless kites or for general use.
Reasons for long throw described above! I don't know about a stopper ball. My bar that I modified for long throw does not have one as I don't like them. In email exchanges with Greg, he has told me he likes long throw bars for all kites. So I don't think this is Cloud specific, rather it is for people looking for a simple system with long throw.
.uhm. let me modify it. I don't think his kites needs it. I agree though the protos like seen above does in fact have it, but personally I usually ride his kite with pretty tight sheeting. I think.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:46 am

One lightweight very simple solution I looked at for below the bar depower was a Line-Lok from Clamcleat.

The CL260 is very small but works on ropes up to 5mm. You don't have to pull the lines apart to move it - you can do it by pulling on one corner of the Line-Lok. It would depend on how much space there is free between your control bar and the Q/R, as you have to pull it down 6" to get 3" depower on the kite, so I don't think it is likely to be seen on Greg's system.

http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleats.asp?menuid=7

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:57 pm

The system is described almost completely now.

http://boardridingmaui.com/connection-system.html

It is simplified about as much as a control system can be.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:03 am

Its a cool simple bar - I like it.

But red should go left and/or green right so we have a convention that contributes to safety.

Jake

mbuckley
Rare Poster
Gear: 7m Liquid Force Envy. 6' surfboard
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mbuckley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:42 am

Looks like a very nice custom bar, but most of the simplifications come from removing things most people want. Can't imagine many people will be happy not having on the fly trim. I have a long throw bar, but I still trim for riding waves and power up for heading back upwind. Also, I have accidently flagged my kite a few times by brushing my arm on the safety; looks like if you did that with this system (pull down full release) you could loose the kite and bar??

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 am

Things tend to be a trade-off.

Everything you add adds weight. This looks like a very lightweight bar, which should make it handle better.

The flag-out system looks very simple and again is very light.

Bar ends for example - do you need bar ends? I like having bar ends to wind onto, but he has been developing this system for a while and manages fine without them.

It made me think again about whether things were really needed on a control system.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:07 am

very primitive engineering, less is more, very refreshing!
kiteboarding industry put huge effort to convince general public that kiteboarding is high-tech extreme sport and now this?

they will never take us seriously again! :lol:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:28 am

eree wrote:very primitive engineering, less is more, very refreshing!
kiteboarding industry put huge effort to convince general public that kiteboarding is high-tech extreme sport and now this?

they will never take us seriously again! :lol:
At the other end of the scale, the Cabrinha chickenloop and adjustable bar ends are examples of the high tech engineering approach.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Great to finally see this. I like the no hook spreader option but I think the release balls could cause confusion under rider stress. One might be fumbling for the correct ball. I would think two distinct shapes would help the rider discern which is which. Something more ergonomic for the palm would be better instead of fine motor finger tips hitting the switch. Gregs an innovator.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Return to “Kitesurfing”