Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Warning: North Bar with single line flag out kites

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Warning: North Bar with single line flag out kites

Postby Macisback » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Today in 20-22 knots with gusts of 23-24 knots, which is the top end of my 17m Draft for me, I had to release after a jump gone wrong, the kite inverted through the lines and the lines got messed up.

Because of the low Y of the North Quad Bar it didnt loose power well and went into a kind of deathloop - few seconds on the water then a loop again. Thanks god i was in the wind shadow of a building, so it was maybe a few knots less. 1-2 min later another kiter was able to grab the kite while on the water, so I didnt need to let the kite go.

Maybe i was unlucky with the lines, but I guess it was the low Y, I will test that in the next days.
Anyone experienced something like this?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Warning: North Bar with single line flag out kites

Postby Toby » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:52 pm

good to hear all went ok!

and how was the Draft in this wind?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Glad to hear you were okay buddy. Do you mean the high Y on a north bar that flags to both front lines?

The 2015 flags to one line apparently by the way.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Well the Draft in 20+ knots is an Airstyle weapon. Not more not less.
If you can hold the edge long and steer it just slightly behind 12 and at the same time pull the bar through it is quite sick how the kite pulls you off the water - but everything very controlled.
Once in the air its lean back and and enjoy the float. Very predictable, stable glide.

Brings you down supersoft. The 17m are actually more 17,6 after measuring the kite.

In a gust of probably 25 knots I had to slow down, use the depower adjuster (15 cm in my settings) and edge super hard. Worked like a charm.

I rode it on the 24m lines and outer bar settings today. Will try inner settings tomorrow (less wind forecast, 16 knots)

In average without trying to hard (I am still in my learning phase with this kite and also with jumping in general) I was 6-7m high and had a hangtime of 5-7 seconds. My sister made a few videos, so it was rather easy to check out.

I was still a bit sick from the new food/water here, so I really took it easy.
Still got to get used to to the Microloop 100%, but I really like it :-)

On on occasion I caught a flat water spot between 2 chops, and hit a gust exactly right. I had two phases where the kite pulled up, so I decided to let the bar go a bit, not to under-swing the kite.
Im not sure, but I would say 8-10 sec hangtime? Height probably 8+ meters?

Well, I must say that the Flyradical S 2011 is an amazing board - really weird how long you can hold the edge. The straps are great, but I have to get used to oversize a bit more (especially the front foot)

I weigh maybe 92-95kg including the gear.

All in all a great kite day, I pulled a few big airs, tested the micro loop, got used to the board, ulled a few grabs, a few table tops and then had my little looping experience...

Yes I mean the high Y (which is more a low Y on the North Qud 2012).
Great that the 2015 north quad bar uses single flagging out - this means I can maybe just buy those spares and am good to go? Is it out yet?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:56 am

Yes I will have to try that draft, might be a decent option when my 2011 dynos burn out from over use.

As far as I know relatively the north bar has a much higher Y than the naish bar that the draft was built around. It also flags to both front lines, where the naish draft is geared to flag to one front line...am I wrong?

Hence the issues you may have had. I've always been told that the north kites can be flown on a low Y bar single flag from another brand (and have thoroughly tested this) but putting a north bar on another brands kite can be dangerous plus pinch the kite a little to much...which I have also found.

No 2015 bar won't be out until September sometime, I've just used one on some 2015 demos.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 am

I should be able to test the Draft and Turbine in Germany soon!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 am

Sweet can't wait to hear what you think Toby.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Yes Toby, I really wonder what you think!
But the 2015 Draft will be a bit different - the big fronttube is gone and it has less bar pressure - maybe send a mail to Naish, so they have a 2014 there to compare!

OK, so I will have to wait until September for new North spare parts (if available), fair enough!

But maybe Peter Goldbach from Boardway will help me out earlier, he is the magician of lines and bars - all my extensions and mods come from him - lets wait and see.

But to be honst, an original North single flag out bar would be nice!

The Drafts that I flew with the Naish Universal Bar 2014 (below the bar depower, 24m) all worked brilliant with the low V and single line flag out system. To be honest, no issues at all with the swivel yet.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Yeh just spoke to a retailer mate of mine who went through his Naish, north and airush line up and said the bar pressure on the new draft was the lightest in the test kites and the hangtime was extraordinary. So ya right much less bar pressure.

Reduced the leading edge diameter hey that's not good.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Hm, so the Draft 2014 could be the new Dyno 2011...

Return to “Airstyle”