Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

BRM control system

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: BRM control system

Postby BWD » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I think it's pretty cool but share the concern with the 2 releases being placed so close together.
To me it would make more sense to have the total release a bit farther from the flagging release.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

NYKiter wrote:Great to finally see this. I like the no hook spreader option but I think the release balls could cause confusion under rider stress. One might be fumbling for the correct ball. I would think two distinct shapes would help the rider discern which is which. Something more ergonomic for the palm would be better instead of fine motor finger tips hitting the switch. Gregs an innovator.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

One ball is bigger than the other and one is push and one pull.

In practice, I think it may not be a problem if you are used to it, but for someone new to the bar it would require some thought.

If a ring was tied to the centre of the spreader bar, the smaller complete release ball could be transferred to it just by reversing the part of the system closest to the rider (below the ring). It would then become a push away release.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomatkins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:31 pm

To many kiters, the idea of not having a "stopper ball" might be a deal-breaker. A stopper is handy for a number of reasons, like spinning the bar, tethered (ghost, dog stake, etc) self-launching, etc... so these kiters may demand a stopper device.. or may reject the whole system, along with the clever innovations based on "simplicity"....

BRM control system

viewtopic.php?t=2385243&p=850425

Sooo, for those that want a "stopper", there may be a simple modification to the system, where the "stopper" would be placed on only one of the two power lines, and secured with the "internal to the rope insert", like Naish used, at one time a few years ago. A LARGE ring or specially designed "funnel tube" would be placed at the junction of the two front lines… and this device would be designed so that the stopper could PASS THROUGH, when the "front line safety" system was activevated. This stopper device could be sold separately and easily assembled, by those who want such a device.

I will reawaken the thread "Stoppers… the good, bad and ugly" where a collection of ideas about the subject of "stopper balls" are located, and present my thoughts on this modification:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374480

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 pm

tomatkins wrote:To many kiters, the idea of not having a "stopper ball" might be a deal-breaker. A stopper is handy for a number of reasons, like spinning the bar, tethered (ghost, dog stake, etc) self-launching, etc... so these kiters may demand a stopper device.. or may reject the whole system, along with the clever innovations based on "simplicity"....

BRM control system

viewtopic.php?t=2385243&p=850425

Sooo, for those that want a "stopper", there may be a simple modification to the system, where the "stopper" would be placed on only one of the two power lines, and secured with the "internal to the rope insert", like Naish used, at one time a few years ago. A LARGE ring or specially designed "funnel tube" would be placed at the junction of the two front lines… and this device would be designed so that the stopper could PASS THROUGH, when the "front line safety" system was activevated. This stopper device could be sold separately and easily assembled, by those who want such a device.

I will reawaken the thread "Stoppers… the good, bad and ugly" where a collection of ideas about the subject of "stopper balls" are located, and present my thoughts on this modification:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374480
The kite sits OK with the bar out, so maybe for spinning the bar it would be useful. Not so much with a Cloud though as the power can be turned off when looping it to unspin it.

The lack of a stopper is suggested as being one of the benefits of the system by BRM.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:54 pm

BWD wrote:I think it's pretty cool but share the concern with the 2 releases being placed so close together.
To me it would make more sense to have the total release a bit farther from the flagging release.
That could easily be done, making use of a completely different type of secondary "total release", as described in the following active thread on KF.

Here is a picture showing the components of the release (prototype design, not final product).... see the bottom of page 14 of the thread "Chicken Loop... bye bye" for the full series of pictures:

viewtopic.php?t=2385302&p=850431
Attachments
bar%20release 2.jpg
bar%20release 2.jpg (68.2 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
bar%20release.jpg
bar%20release.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:07 pm

ronnie wrote:
The lack of a stopper is suggested as being one of the benefits of the system by BRM.
Good point Ronnie... the ideal system would be designed so that there is no need for a stopper of any kind.... because it would be designed so that the bar, when released, would only go a half of a meter, or so, and would then STOP all on its own, and stay right there.... and would be easily within reach. Maybe this system, combined with the strutless kite, does this.... that would be great news!

lobodomar
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby lobodomar » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 pm

At the other end of the scale, the Cabrinha chickenloop and adjustable bar ends are examples of the high tech engineering approach.
Their prices, however, are not at opposite ends of the scale. I don't think they should be at opposite ends, but my ignorant guess is that they could stand a little farther from each other in terms of pricing than they are right now.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:14 pm

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am

I've got to admit. Its intrigueing

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 am

Hey tomatkins where can I pick up a quick release similar to what you have rigged up along with a d ring that works properly together?

Return to “Kitesurfing”