Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

August 2014 Le Morne Mauritius. Warning Indian closed!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

August 2014 Le Morne Mauritius. Warning Indian closed!!!

Postby poldo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 am

Hi all :D my holidays are coming, from 15th to end of August I will be in LeMorne. I'll stay with my girl in Indian Resort, and looking to do a lot of kiteSurfing and going around to have fun and have a look around in The island.

About kitesurf, I'm quite light, wave oriented, medium experienced (10 year kitesurfing, already kited and surfed in Ocean but not with reefs around) , have one 5'10 surfboard and 10 (12-22) 7 (16-25) 5,5 (20+) m kites. Friends of mine have already been there 2 years ago and I've been explained a bit about the spot, the different waves, dangers, etc. My idea is to explore the spot, depending on wave/wind conditions.

I'm alone kiting there, and if someone is there in the same time would be nice to have a talk and kite together (in Ocean taking a look one to each other is good)

Someone knows about the actual rescue situation there? I see that near the Indian and on the spot there is a club Mistral, is it useful for rescue or other needs?

About forecast, is this windfinder link ok? Wind is as forecasted, less or more? http://it.windfinder.com/forecast/le_morne_mauritius

temperature forecasted now seems around 20-22°, thinking about a 2mm shortarm longleg and reef booties (in case of coral falling/walkking) wetsuit would be ok? Or better 3/2 fullsuit?

Any other info or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

TITLE edited
Last edited by poldo on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Re: August 2014: coming to Le Morne Mauritius, info welcome

Postby poldo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am

so...no-one? :roll:

considering that I'm kiting there alone, I'm quite interested if there are rescue options (to agree in advance or not)

also some info of someone already stayed ad Indian Resort would be useful (room first floor or groud floor)

and about renting car there for some days (not all the holidays)? or would be better to take a taxi to interested location (for tourism- no kite)

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Hola

I've stayed there albeit about 6 years ago. Heavenly. On a non-kiting note, I ate curry every night for 2 weeks and loved it!!! I think it nearly killed the poor dude I was sharing with though.

The evening entertainment is (was) terrible. If you go for 2 weeks, you have the pleasure of seeing it twice too! Really really bad.

Ground or 1st floor are good. I had ground floor, which has the advantage of walking straight out of the door into the well manicured lawn area and onto the beach. 1st floor will offer a bit more privacy for chilling on the balcony and may get a bit more breeze. If I was going again I'd be happy with either but would probably opt for 2nd floor, for a change.

The club mistral dudes are brilliant and if you let them know you are there, and staying at the resort, they will rescue you if need be.

Few very different options for kiting depending on what you want:

If you stand on the beach next to the main pool, looking out to sea you've got:

Just round the corner to your left is an amazing lagoon, about 4ft deep, and super warm flat water. Its absolutely mega.

Over to your right, in front of the mistral centre is the main inside 'little reef', which gives lovely little (I thought they were pretty big - over head height) waves.

Further out past the reef is a famous break called Manawa, which is a scarily big wave.

Further round from the centre is the world reknowned one-eye, which is an amazing sight. Just off the beach facing one eye its lovely flat water but offshore wind, which will drag you right out to one eye if you get in some bother.

For me - the lagoon was perfect, and the 'little reef' gave waves which were more than big enough for me. The other options just made for good viewing - but thats just me.

Oh - and heres a map of it all - the indian resort is that whole built up area\ on the south of the peninsula:

gatogringo
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby gatogringo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:12 am

I was in Le Morne mid-July, and the Indian Resort closed somewhat impromptu for renovation, and I would be surprised if they will open anytime soon.

I recommend you make sure they are open. I heard stories of people arriving with their booking not knowing it was in fact closed.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi all!

thanks very much drgnfly for the useful info. I knew already something but your detailed explaination is 100% :thumb:

But now seems we have a bigger problem, as suggested by gatogringo: the Indian is closed! :angryfire:

So I proptly contacted out operator (expedia), they knew nothing about Indian closing (!) and now they're finding a solution. We choosed the Indian because of the proximity to the spot and no-needing to hire and use a car all days. Seems that all hotels near there are much more expensive so the operator is not so likely to send us there.

Do you know to some good alternative around there?

I guess that if we can't find a solution we could ask the money back and go to a residence or flat near there (we're 2)

I'll keep you informed about the proceeding... :bye:

gatogringo
Rare Poster

Re: August 2014 Le Morne Mauritius. Warning Indian closed!!!

Postby gatogringo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 am

There are no real alternatives to what I suspect you would have paid for the Indian resort in walking distance to the spot.

Most kiters stay in an apartment in La Gaullette and rent a car (ten minutes drive). There is a small choice of restaurants, supermarket and some "real" life going on. And a car is useful should the wind give you a miss.

Get the money back from Expedia unless they also list apartments in La Gaullette at reasonable rates.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 am

hi gato, do you have some contact for apartament and rent car?

about payment there, what's the easiest and safer way to pay small amount (daylife eating and market and shopping) and bigger ones (apartment, car, etc...)?

Rixter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Where the wind blows

Postby Rixter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Been there with my wife last June, and it was my best stay on Le Morne ever :D
We stayed in one of the (luxury) hotels on the westcoast, around the corner at kitebeach.
Depending on what hotel you have, you just walk a couple of minutes with your stuff to kite beach.

Been there also a couple of times with friends, and rented a nice villa in La Gaulette or Black River.
Rented a Pick up, and checked some other spots, when Le Morne was too crowded.

Strainge that Indian closes in high season period.
It's not the first time they are closed, can remember something they had to close some years ago.
I think it had something to do with a food poisoning issue or so.....

Have fun there,
Last edited by Rixter on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jckfun
Rare Poster
Gear: Rebel and WAM

Postby jckfun » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Hello Poldo,

We (my wife and 1 year little girl) stayed in La Gaulette and kited in Le Morne in March 2014.

La Gaulette
I would sincerely recommend to stay in Happy Days Guest House appartement.
These apartments are brand news and well designed. Rooms are big and balcony with an amazing view (+ Aircon).
Kitchen is shared between people but this is nice as every body there are surfers, kiters, windsurfers. Excellent atmosphere : )
Jean-Pierre, the owner is an ex-professional surfer. This guy is awesome and so nice. You can ask him for a pick-up rental at good price. Supermarket is 1 minute drive.
http://happydaysguesthousemauritius.blogspot.fr

Le Morne spot
Intro : I am a 8 years experienced kiter. I love riding waves and free riding. I weight 74kgs and have North Rebel 6 and 9m2
When the wind is forecasted ESE - SE on wind guru, it is really more than that from 12pm to 5pm.
Example : when you have 10-11 knots SE, one day I used my 6m2 kite as the wind was 20 knots.
I did a holidays movie:
https://vimeo.com/90366517

Club Mistral
Those guys are experts and so nice.
Just go there to have explanations on the spot.
They can rescue you for free depending on the pass conditions.
It is always free for you and for your equipment it is in between 50 and 100 euros.
Alert them when you want to go on Manawa, OneEye etc and they will tell you OK or NOK and even find you a friend to go with !!!

Lagoon is great especially for the amazing view that you have on the mountains. A bit crowdy ...
Can be dangerous as it is a onshore wind (ESE - SE) and beginners are frightening !
Water is just too hot there ; )

Little reef
Excellent wave, not as little as it should be.
I good days, can be 2 meters high.
Safe, no issue, no corals just sand and water.
The best wave to start with

Manawa
Amazing wave, impressive as it is big and very far from the coast (10 minutes kiting) but very smooth and not dangerous as you have 2 meters deepness on the reef. Just dangerous if your kites falls in the water as you are in the pass where the current is VERY STRONG.
I rode Manawa 3 days (never alone and alerted the Club Mistral).
1st day. Small (and sunny day): 1-1.5 meters high. Very easy and wonderful.
2nd day. Cloudy day, 2-3 meters high. Awesome conditions even if it is a bit scary as the noise of the wave is unique when it breaks on the reef: )
3rd day. I just went there as the waves where too big (5 meters ?) : (

Platin rouge
Good alternative for manawa when it is too big. Be careful as it does not work at low tide.

One Eye, Chameaux
Just look, take pictures and movies or as Club Mistral to go with you.
For experts / pro-riders. Deepness is in between 0.3m - 1m with sharp corals. You touch it you are burnt.
Nina from club mistral and his boy friend are riding the wave every day : incredible

Enjoy your stay. Once you go there, you want to go again for sure.
Best spot in the world for me

gatogringo
Rare Poster

Postby gatogringo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 am

Poldo,

there are choices for apartments in La Gaullette; but we were super happy with Ropsen who manages a number of apartments and rental cars etc... Can strongly recommend. Attached their business card.
IMG_20140630_115030.jpg
Ropsen in La Gaullette

Return to “Kitesurfing”