capitan nemo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Slingshot Octane

Postby capitan nemo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am

I had one back at 2010.
There are way way way better 2010 kites out there for the same price.
It would really be a waste of money.

Balotelli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount , Dublin, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Murvagh, Donegal
Gear: ..

Postby Balotelli » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

A million thanks for all the feedback :thumb:

I have since decided to stay well away from the Octanes and instead have invested in some 2010 Liquid Force's :)

Pattiecannon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caba, Bilinga
Favorite Beaches: Belongil, Muddies, Caba.
Style: loose
Gear: Rev 2 2009 9m
Octane 2010 11m
TD 2 2008 12m
Griffin 2009 14m
Chopstick 149
Custom 2010 136

Postby Pattiecannon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 pm

The Octane does not "backstall" automatically if you go last knots on the front and pull right in on the rear. I have the 11m & This is simply not true in my experience. But you have to learn to use the various trimming options to get the most out of this kite, and there is a lot to get. This kite has the biggest range of any kite I've owned.
There is no ''one setting" magic setting that a lot of kiters seem to believe in. (Especially my mates who fly cabs - middle knots all the way lol - I always set their cabs the way I like them for the wind at hand and they always go good, If they don't I drop the kite and change them - easy takes about 60 sec)
I extended the low range of this kite by using a bar fitted with 32 m lines and it was a powerhouse. I added pigtails to front and rear. The rears to go for when it was super windy. I had these let out to the end knot of the "extra pigtail" (thats 3 pt's all up as we know that there are 2pt's on as factory setting. Then I pulled it down on the front all the way to the actual knot that is the join of the pigtail and the bridal. In this setting I was comfortably skittling along on my board with my ass in the water and my rear hand up to my elbow also in the ink, in 40kt gusts on a crazy gusty day. But the kite handled it and turned ok once I pulled the depower all the way in. It NEVER overflies if trimmed in on very windy days.
On LW days I just do the opposite., and I can kite easily in 11 knots on a big TT. All the way out on the front all the way in on the back.
No over flying, no backstalling, just easy power. This kite taught me a great many things about getting the most out of your kit.
Some folks have mentioned it is a speed machine but I never found this. I always found the kite a little slow if any thing. Lots of power but all delivered slowly but surely. I think I may have a pline issue due to this. So I need to find the lengths and check it out, if you know them that would be great!
This is a good kite. Not many kites will still steer when at these depower trimmings as mentioned here. I know because I own quite a lot of kites and I try them all on my long lines and trimed right in on short lines (adding extra pt's many times).Most kites simply will NOT turn at all when trimmed in like this. The Octane will trim in to ridiculous levels. It is an amazing kite, but I just need it to turn faster.

Stein
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Romania
Favorite Beaches: Kaikala
Style: freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer speedair

Postby Stein » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Hello all kiters on this forum!
Can anyone tell me what other bar(and lines) matches to Octane 2010?
Thanks

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 am

Stein wrote:Hello all kiters on this forum!
Can anyone tell me what other bar(and lines) matches to Octane 2010?
Thanks
It depends on which size Octane you have. Slingshot recommended the following...
43cm (17") bar on the 9m and smaller kites.
51cm (20") bar on the 11m and 13m.
59cm (23") bar for the 15m.
The lines were 23m.

I had the 11m Octane and I used it originally with the Slingshot Comp Stick bar and then I switched to Naish's 2012 Universal bar which is adjustable to 51cm. The Naish bar came with 20m lines and then I switched to 24m for a little more low-end performance.

Note: Both the Slingshot and the Naish bars utilize a single-line safety. The Octane will not flag out safely on a two-line system (i.e. North Quad or Cab Quicklink IDS), so stay away from these. Most of the kite companies are now using a single-line system (including the 2014 Cab bar), so you have plenty of options. Just make sure to keep it identical or very close to the Slingshot Comp Stick dimensions and you should be good to go. A 1cm variance won't be noticeable (50 vs 51), so don't get hung up on that. :thumb:

Stein
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Romania
Favorite Beaches: Kaikala
Style: freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer speedair

Postby Stein » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for your answer, I will try with a f one bandit 5(45 cm) bar. What do you think about that?

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Stein wrote:Thanks for your answer, I will try with a f one bandit 5(45 cm) bar. What do you think about that?
F-One's Airlite & Monolith bars are a two-line system as well, so avoid these.

Avoid these bars as well...
Airush Smart (2012 and older)
Best Redline Pro (2012 and older)
Caution Control
Core Sensor (2014 and older)
Ocean Rodeo Fusion / Freestyle & ATB / BTB
RRD Global

I'm sure they're several other brands/models to avoid that are similar to the above, but these are the bigger name brands that I know for fact will not work safely with your kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”