Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Chrono 15m kite review

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 20, 2014 1:54 am

s1buell_wl wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:
pmaggie wrote:Here in Como lake, the FS are becoming I don't want to say "popular" but not a rarity. I mean: in the past 5/6 years, no one was riding a foil. They were considered just a host of problems, no reason to own one. When the Speed 3 came, the first 19 and 21 began to appear and the beach actually splitted in two. There was the party "I'm-never-gonna-ride-that-monster" (because is too big, too slow, it's not kiting, etc.) and the party "mmm-I'd-like-to-ride-when-no-one-else-is-but-don't-tell-this-to-my-buddies". In subten conditions, when only the big FS were planing, a myriad of eyes was scanning the situation from the beach and there was a blue streak about them. Eventually, someone jumped aboard and bought a FS, someone not. It is a fact they are by far the best choice in light winds here on the lake. I only rode a SP3 21 one time, so I can't say anything but I'm quite curious about the new Lotus, expecially the 12. The tissue is incredible, you can't understand how light and thin is until you have it in your hands and it's completely waterproof.
If you decide you want a Lotus 12, I'm selling mine for 20% less retail including shipping.
LOL and why would that be..... have a replacement in mind..... :)
Hated it, thought the Chrono was much better...

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Tue May 20, 2014 8:18 am

s1buell_wl wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:
pmaggie wrote:Here in Como lake, the FS are becoming I don't want to say "popular" but not a rarity. I mean: in the past 5/6 years, no one was riding a foil. They were considered just a host of problems, no reason to own one. When the Speed 3 came, the first 19 and 21 began to appear and the beach actually splitted in two. There was the party "I'm-never-gonna-ride-that-monster" (because is too big, too slow, it's not kiting, etc.) and the party "mmm-I'd-like-to-ride-when-no-one-else-is-but-don't-tell-this-to-my-buddies". In subten conditions, when only the big FS were planing, a myriad of eyes was scanning the situation from the beach and there was a blue streak about them. Eventually, someone jumped aboard and bought a FS, someone not. It is a fact they are by far the best choice in light winds here on the lake. I only rode a SP3 21 one time, so I can't say anything but I'm quite curious about the new Lotus, expecially the 12. The tissue is incredible, you can't understand how light and thin is until you have it in your hands and it's completely waterproof.
If you decide you want a Lotus 12, I'm selling mine for 20% less retail including shipping.
LOL and why would that be..... have a replacement in mind..... :)
I have too many kites. I like my inflatos in the higher winds. Prefer the Chrono 18m over any inflato in the low wind range. Seems many love the Lotus just not my thing. I need 18+ knots to start enjoying at my weight. Used only for a couple hours. PM me if interested.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 am

Of course I will Okinawa!
I never rode nor the Lotus nor the Chrono, so can't compare. The problem with the Chrono is that it's impossbile to test one here at the moment. About two months ago there were two guys who told "I'm going to buy a Chrono" but eventually they didn't...

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue May 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
waynepjh wrote:Here is a little review we did on the 12 chrono. The kite is very sweet! I relate it to a formula one car. Its not something that everyone can drive.
https://vimeo.com/95467047
That's not a review, that's a promo film...
Ummmm did you read the text posted with that video kamikuza?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 am

waynepjh wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
waynepjh wrote:Here is a little review we did on the 12 chrono. The kite is very sweet! I relate it to a formula one car. Its not something that everyone can drive.
https://vimeo.com/95467047
That's not a review, that's a promo film...
Ummmm did you read the text posted with that video kamikuza?
No... damn this phone yet again...!

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 pm

So who has some good tips for drying out your kite?

First timer with a foil kite and I'm learning the rules of the road. Too far to the edge of the window in too light of winds- oops.

How about keeping sand or other beach treasures out of the kite?
How about getting those treasures out of the kite after they have gotten in there?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:37 am

Fly it to dry it. If you can't, hang it up like laundry.

No dirt outs in the tips? Flying most foils lets the sand trickle out too...

One of the quirks of foils...

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:25 am

It's a chrono. Does sand really work all the way to the wingtip?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 am

I had a demo chrono 15 for 2.5 weeks GREAT kite has a ton of power flies upwind and hangtime is insane speed and acceleration phenomenal. But ...
It is relatively unstable (I've owned many foils in 15 years of kiting) easy to bow tie in gusty conditions bridles are a pain in the ass very thin and same color turns very slow compared to edge doesn't loop that well. I rode it back to back with edge 19m and 13m on same chrono bar with mhl lift and quad fish in under 10 knots and 10 to 20 with various twin tips. In the end it wasn't for me because I only ride in the ocean with waves and chop and seaweed and currents etc... the edge has similar low end with wider wind range more static and initial pull still jumps well and overall more fun. Chrono relaunch in ocean I would say 1 out of 3 success rate and I have a lot of experience relaunching foils. I think if I was racing or riding just hydrofoil in a lake or tt in shallow flat water it would be perfect but unfortunately I can't justify it for the conditions that I ride it would mostly stay in the car.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 am

I've had the 18m on demo for a couple of weeks now.

First impressions when compared to the 15 Chrono;
(some of these are very obvious)

- better low end power but still gets going on the raceboard at the same time as the 15 but once up to speed produces more forward power.
- better hangtime, obvious I know. Seriously insane hangtime. If the wind is onshore and you're lit, make sure you are waaaaay out back
- turning speed is not an awful lot slower than the 15 which was a surprise, it might help that I am heavy so I get more leverage on it. You can certainly downloop out of a jump and get the kite to catch you before you touch the water.
- bridle attracts just as much as the 15m
- more stable than the 15m, I guess due to size.
- Jumps are nearly if not on par with the 15m. You can certainly go high on this kite, maybe the 15 goes higher at the very top end.

All in all, it is an amazing kite. I hear they are working on the small ones now, down to a 5m apparently.

Not sure who that is aimed at other than buggy riders and those on hydrofoils in strong winds.

I'd love to try a 10m in 35 knots. I reckon that would about as close to God as you could get without actually meeting him. Though the launch in 35 knots might be a similar experience.

Tony

Return to “Kitesurfing”