Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Kites confusion! On purpose???

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Kites confusion! On purpose???

Postby JGTR » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Babel wrote:
Westozzy wrote:So you are changing to a different kite and brand I assume because of an absent patch.

Righto :o
Giving that answer, don't get why the assumption :D
Maybe because of what you posted? Reads that you are switching brands because Ken didn't put a patch on some kites you brought :?:

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Dan,
When will we get the scoop on the 2015 Neo?

BTW, I have 2013 Rebels in 7m and 10m and I think they are great. I had demo'd previous years and never connected until 2013. I guess we are all different.

They are keepers but I'd like to add a wave specific kite and want to check out the Neo.

My only complaint is that now having the Rebels and a couple bars I will need to still buy another 4-line bar.

Tony

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Westozzy wrote:So you are changing to a different kite and brand I assume because of an absent patch.

Righto :o
Even tough he personally has never had a issue.....with said patch.....only that the kite designers ideas about the kite they designed, need corrections....or that he needs a patch so badly that cutting one out of a single euro worth of kite repair tape, and sticking it on is to costly, or labor intensive.

Double Right O.....

I suspect we are having a language/ translation, issue. If a beer can diameter patch, coming and going as the values changed from 2013 to 2014 is too tech to understand, then I am confused...old valve, and patch, for a few years then gone, new valve that has jagged edges, and a large plastic screw, and the patch is back....Seems simple to understand....

Good luck with what every kite you choose in 2015! I hope you find the perfect one !

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Tony wrote:Dan,
When will we get the scoop on the 2015 Neo?

BTW, I have 2013 Rebels in 7m and 10m and I think they are great. I had demo'd previous years and never connected until 2013. I guess we are all different.

They are keepers but I'd like to add a wave specific kite and want to check out the Neo.

My only complaint is that now having the Rebels and a couple bars I will need to still buy another 4-line bar.

Tony
All North kites fly on five line bars, and come with 5th line, to do so free of charge!

But generally a surf kite with four lines can have advantages. You do not need a four line bar, but you may want one, I have only flown the Juice, that is based off the Neo, so I have no info to share, perhaps Dan will chime in when he is back at his desk.

Good luck!

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Babel wrote:
Billy B. wrote: I have flown every rebel since 2011 and can feel the difference in each one, well done Ken!
I owned every rebel since then. Buying new ones every year, 2015 I will change to another kite. I couldn't care less about the patch, as I switch my kites way to early to have any wear around the valve. What disappoints me is the fact that he simply forgot something and instead of admitting it saying "customer, you don't need a patch". Well, the 2015 obviously has it ;)
The valve changed, in 2014 and the new valve design benefits from the patch( it is my understanding that taking care while packing your kite is more important then the patch, but some users pack their kites poorly and the patch helps reduce pin holes to those who compression, bag/ tightly roll, or sit or push down on the kite to remove the air with the kite on the ground). ..it was not as big of a deal with the old valve.

How is that disappointing? Stupid kite designer review his design, and adapting it to the new valve.....

Best of luck with what ever kite you choose!

Tony
Frequent Poster
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Billy B. wrote:
All North kites fly on five line bars, and come with 5th line, to do so free of charge!

But generally a surf kite with four lines can have advantages. You do not need a four line bar, but you may want one, I have only flown the Juice, that is based off the Neo, so I have no info to share, perhaps Dan will chime in when he is back at his desk.

Good luck!
Agreed but being able to fly with a 5th is different than flies equally as well with 4 or 5 lines.
All the feedback on the Neo and Dice, including from North, suggests that they fly better on the 4-line bar. Not biggie.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:52 am

Tony wrote:
Billy B. wrote:

Good luck!
Agreed but being able to fly with a 5th is different than flies equally as well with 4 or 5 lines.
All the feedback on the Neo and Dice, including from North, suggests that they fly better on the 4-line bar. Not biggie.
I would like to see the info from North that suggest they fly better on four then five lines, do you have a link, please?

To my knowledge, and based on my experience( the Neo is the only North model I have not flown) there is no loading on the fifth line, on any four line kite in the North line, and you are flying them on four lines with either bar. There is a small difference in the front line length from the split of the y, but in the numerous demos I have done with several kites on either set up My self or the people demoing gear have never mentioned a difference.

I need to be familiar with the North line up for work and hope I have not over looked the info about there being a difference in flying characteristics, for four vs five lines. Besides additional line drag, and safety differences.

Thanks for any links with such info about the performance differences!

Billy

Tony
Frequent Poster
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:02 am

Billy,

Lots of feedback on the Dice in this respect on this forum and on the seabreeze au forum. I seem to remember the same on the Neo here. You can search it or if Dan sees this I'm sure he'll jump in and clarify. Again, not a big deal as most people want 4-line anyway.

Tony

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:14 am

Billy B. wrote:I would like to see the info from North that suggest they fly better on four then five lines, do you have a link, please?
This is the topic: viewtopic.php?t=2381989&p=815351

I remembered seeing about the dice, but don't remember complaints about the Neo on 5 lines.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:35 am

Check out Dan's post here : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383683

Return to “Kitesurfing”