Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mystic Drysuit??? who has experience with this thing?

Forum for kitesurfers
IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mystic Drysuit??? who has experience with this thing?

Postby IanNJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:51 am

Im starting to think about winter riding...any one have experience with the mystic drysuits? Im really concerned about mobility and warmth...and whats the deal with the neoprene?

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mystic Drysuit??? who has experience with this thing?

Postby alunj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 am

I had a Mystic Force. Really dint get on with it. It certainly wasnt dry ! Ever since new it leaked and the distributor wasnt really interested in the problems. Was very hard for my dealer who had got it for me. No support from the manufacturer :( I tried another recently and same issues, water inside everywhere.
My previous suit was an Ocean Rodeo, Pyro Pro. Now that was an amazing suit , dry and warm if you layer up correctly.

I cant see the sense in the baggy neoprene suits all the disadvantages of a very thick wetsuit and few advantages. However a thin membrane suit with layers is amazing.

This year I hope to go back to the new Heat from OR money allowing.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 am

can't speak to the Mystic Drysuit.. but you have got to get your hands on an Ocean Rodeo Heat, Soul, or Ignite!!! I have a Soul and its warm and dry for 8 months of the year... they aren't really super dry as they do retain some body moisture but mainly from the fun you're having in it during a winter storm!!

If you wear good wicking underwear you shouldn't have a problem... they do require more care and attention to maintain than a wet suit but are well worth it... the other four months I'm in a 5/4 but on Vancouver Island the ocean temp is pretty dam cold..

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:54 am

Take the Mysticism out of it and get the OR SOUL. U won't be Dissapppinted.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Hello :thumb:

I like the Ocean Rodeo Drysuits, and the Kokatat GFE Drysuit. A more economical approuch is the O'neill Boost wakeboarding drysuit, it has a neoprean kneck gasket

Most all the drysuits use natural latex blend for the gaskets.

The gaskets require your constant attention and care to maintain it in good conditiion.

I recommend aerospace 303 protectent, or Trident food grade silicon.

You should treat your gasket every three uses and in storing every 4 weeks.

Getting sunscreen on the gaskets is bad for them and you should clean it off right away with the above products.

One thing to think about is were you will get your drysuiit serviced.

Kokatat is made in the USA and there drysuits have a lifetime warrenty, they have a repair and warrenty facility in California. The cost for replacing all gaskets and leak test including patching any leaks is approximatly $140.

Ocean Rodeo has a one year warrenty and recommend you send to a dive shop for servicing.

O'neill has a repair facility in Oregon.

The new patagonia bag drysuit will service there suit at Chinourd(sp) surfboards the son of the patagonia founder in California., will replace all gaskets for approximatly $200, do not know what warrenty is.

DO NOT USE BABY POWDER ON YOUR DRYSUIT...IT WILL MELT THE GASKETS...IT HAS TO BE UNSCENTED TALC....THE BABY POWDER HAS SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCE IN IT, THOSE CHEMICALS WILL MELT THE GASKET.

You can buy unscented talc on eBay by searching this : USP Pure Unscented TALCUM POWDER Drysuit Talc

For insulation I use a very thin top and bottom fleece and then a polortec 100 top and bottom.
This combo wicks away moisture from your body.

Patagonia gore-tex drysuit $699
Ocean Rodeo Heat Drysuiit $599
Kokata Gor-tex GFE Drysuit $750
O'Neill Boost $449

Have a nice day.

Shoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5
RRD Obsession 9.5
RRD Emotion 10

Postby Shoe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 am

IanNJ wrote:Im starting to think about winter riding...any one have experience with the mystic drysuits? Im really concerned about mobility and warmth...and whats the deal with the neoprene?
I snagged a Mystic Vulcanic right before the ice melted here in NY. I was on the fence about it seeing that they are the only ones making a neoprene drysuit. Me a couple diehards were out literally pushing ice around on Lake Champlain and I was super toasty. I had on one layer of long underwear underneath and was very warm the entire time! The icebergs become so plentiful that we had to call it because we ran out of water. Before I packed it in, I went for a good swim to see if I would get cold in this suit, and I was comfortable the entire time.

It is also super easy to get in and out of. Easier than any of my other full wetsuits. Mobility is nice as well, as the fit isn't super tight in the torso.

The only con that I can come up with is the hood. I tried riding with it and hated how it fit. Luckily, it's removable so it isn't a big deal.

I highly recommend it!

Cheers!

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:37 pm

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/spe ... ?p=87100-1

Patagonia R3\u00AE Neoprene Drysuit - Black BLK-155

Patagonia R3® Neoprene Drysuit

Was $699
Now $349

Neoprene Drysuit are not the same as Bag drysuits.

On sale because Patagonia is going to sell a bag drysuit.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Bought the vulcanic, used it the day after the ice thawed, just a set of long underwares. You come in your jeans and sweater drop all that in the trunk, put on the dry, go ride, then your choice, remove the humid thermals or put your jeans and sweater on top and hit the pub. I used to have the non isulated, breatable type, you get out with the same humidity, I would dress in fleece so it dors not suck up water and it is lightweight but would not bring change so the pub was not an option... There is nothing better that a hot meal with fellow riders all with post kite messy hairdos and the comforting smell of neoprene....lol.

Vulcanic is great cuz of the front zip vs the ion which has a back zip, the neoprene is very boyant so my floater does not change much. Front zip is a must for me since I am often kiting alone (yes yes, in frigid water but we have a spot with knee to waist deep water so it is not more dangerous in april in 5C than in July in 30C). I did not care for the OR soul, too much gimmicks, I owned and loved the Gul (front zip also). My first drysuit was an OR pyro pro (space cadet zip that worked very well). So far i am very happy with th Mystic

calvin_1
Rare Poster
Gear: Tubes and foil kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby calvin_1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 pm

My vulcanic is a total failure. Returned it three times to mystic because the zip was leaky and i got wet under it after each session. They tested it, couldn t find anything and told me to use more grease. I did like they recommended and ruined several layer of close with this f...ing grease. They didn t do anything about it, total f*** off. Each return took about 4-5 weeks so I had to use my old wintersuit for the whole winter. Third return was so late I couldn t even test it because it was already may.
Will never buy anything again from this company.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 pm

IanNJ wrote:Im starting to think about winter riding...any one have experience with the mystic drysuits? Im really concerned about mobility and warmth...and whats the deal with the neoprene?
Get an OR. Right now they make the best kite specific drysuit and have the long history making the suits and working out the tweaks.

Having said that, Patagonia has a new one worth checking out. Seems to be designed with kiteboarding in mind. There's another thread on here about it.

Some of the kayaking ones look pretty nice. But again, it is designed around kayaking and you may find your harness causes the zippers to wear/rub you the wrong way, it may not handle ankle spray as well, who knows. OR designs for kiteboarding. Can't beat that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”