Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Kites confusion! On purpose???

Forum for kitesurfers
Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Kites confusion! On purpose???

Postby Billy B. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks for the links. Good info.

I am a North athlete and the snowkite team manager, and have never seen or heard this info. Good to know.

Billy

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Whoa. A few things.

First, Babel, attacking Ken Winner's work ethic is just plain ridiculous. Ken is probably the hardest working person in this entire industry. I have literally had the head designer for another brand complain to me that Ken works too hard and that he simply can't compete with that kind of work ethic. As to the specific complaint about that little patch... I have not heard a single dealer or customer complain about the lack of the patch, and I have not seen any signs of wear on anyone's kites (or my own completely thrashed demo quiver). I rarely do this for fear that I'll awaken some sleeping viper den, but here it goes... If anyone has any type of premature wear on your canopy due to chafe against the new inflate valve on the 2014 Rebel, please let me know. We've sold tens of thousands of Rebels and I have not seen a single complaint so far.
For the record, Ken was given the option to have the patch added to the kites and he chose not to for weight saving purposes as he did not think it was necessary. He may have chosen to add it to the 2015, but there's every chance that this decision was based not on improving the kite, but simply because there is a perception that it is needed. In fact, Babel, he may have made that decision because of the posts you've put up here about it. If that is the case, congratulations, you've made the 2015 Rebel a few grams heavier because of your inanities.

And just as another thought, every time I get a new bike (I have a lot of bikes) I go over the whole thing and cover any potential wear/chafe spots with clear helicopter tape. I wouldn't blame anyone for doing the same thing to their kite with patches of sail-repair tape, though again, in case I haven't stressed this enough, I don't think it's necessary in this particular spot.

Tony-
The only information I have so far on the new Neo is that it will have a little more top end, but we were pretty happy with the 2014 and feedback has been extremely positive so I don't think it will get a huge rework for 2015. As far as flying it on 4 vs 5 lines, I haven't had any feedback on that. Even the Dice, which is the first kite I've heard actually flies differently on our 4 vs 5 line bar, the difference isn't huge and I've actually had a really good rider tell me he prefers the kite on 5-lines. Do us all a favor and get (or just demo) the kite KO and fly it with your 5-line bar. If it flies well then save yourself the cost of the bar and fly it like that. If you think you lose some performance then you'll have to decide if it's worth the cost to pick up a bar as well. Either way, let us know what you find.

As Billy said, other kites like past Evos and Dynos and Fuses have had no noticeable difference between linesets as far as I could tell from feedback at demos and from dealers/customers.

If anyone has any questions on any of this stuff (or if you want to tell me I'm wrong on the whole canopy-wear-patch thing) feel free to drop me a PM.

-Dan

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Dan,
Thanks for the response. Makes sense to give it a try first.
Tony

Miltsface
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Miltsface » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm

I think there would have been a little less confusion if the Evo name had been dropped and the "new Evo" had been branded under the Fuse name. This seems to make more sense to me in terms of style of use. The Dice essentially filled the niche for the style of riding the "old Evo" was used for, and the "new Evo" seems to be much closer to the Fuse than the "old Evo". I assume the kite name likely has to do with who the design team was, but I think it would have been clearer to go with the Fuse name.

That said, with a little bit of reading and/or demoing, its easy enough to understand what the kite does, so I don't really care what it says on the wingtip.

Babel
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Babel » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Dan-at-North wrote: I have not heard a single dealer or customer complain about the lack of the patch.

He may have chosen to add it to the 2015, but there's every chance that this decision was based not on improving the kite, but simply because there is a perception that it is needed.
Really? Why did they start giving out patches to Rebel buyers in Europe if there was not one complaint. Interesting theory.
BTW: Wasent referring to the time anyone spends in the office but to what you tell customers and how you act. Office: Reducing the cam battens on the 2014 for the new 2015 must take a lot of time...

Well, how cool is that! 2016 you can take the patch away and claim its for weight reduction!

@ Billy: Righto!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Babel you kinda sound now like you just want something to complain about.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Must not be any wind where he is!!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:37 pm

So what ya riding now babel or have you already said this?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:53 am

thanks for all the comments dan at north.

I agree with the original poster I was so confused with all the north changes from 2012-2013-2014 though I guess the lineup has settled down a bit?

I think we are used to North keeping their kites the same for a half decade so while we expect a bunch of confusion in the lineup from Naish or Cabrinha kite at North it was a bit shocking.

So I guess the Evo is not at all like the old Evo, but it kept the same name.

Now I heard from a local kiter who is a north rider that the new vegas is not like the old vegas and he thought that was because of Aaron Hadlow. I told him that didn't make sense because I know hadlow loves that 6 line set up he had with flexifoil hadlow pro with the huge midsection on the kite and blocky ends, which looks nothing like the new Vegas.

Anyway is the 2015 vegas like the rebel, pretty much the same with just a few tweaks or is it more like the evo with a complete redesign?

This is mostly for curiosity sake, I ride Envys and Fuels mostly.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:36 am

From reports the new Vegas is a serious competition level hard core C kite. The general freeride aspect of the Vegas is not there. That's because you can use the dice for this. Make sense?

Return to “Kitesurfing”