Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Pimped my bar!

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Well, dry it works better than wet ;-)

A bit slippery and it moves a bit.
I might need to wrap it from the other side and see if it stays better.

But for sure better than the original grip that is peeling off ;-)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm

JS wrote:The anti-standardization viewpoints of some here might be caused by misunderstanding that certain safety standards are intended to reinforce intuition and minimize the chance of human error, and not as an alternative to knowing how to use one's equipment.

Some of the greatest proponents of basic safety standards and routines are pilots with thousands of hours of (death-free) flying experience. They understand that people occasionally make mistakes, and they try to reduce the frequency and severity of them. They generally don't spend time writing pointless drivel on aviation forums to oppose the simplest of measures that can help reinforce intuition and minimize potential for human error.

That said, I totally understand that some kiteboarders are above that kind of thinking, which is impressively badass.
and some of the people who want standardization have misunderstood the viewpoint of the people who they think oppose it. I do not oppose standardization. i do, however, think that it is, at best, a long way off and in the meantime you might quite whining about it and put your big boy pants on and do something about it yourself. It is an easy to deal with problem. Do you know the phrase "first world problem". Well, this does not even add up to that much of an "issue". Until some body else has fixed the problem for you, fix it yourself for now. and go kite, safely….

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:22 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:torch bar, looks so sick err until i am stuck upside down with 15 milliseconds to grab the right side after 12+? years with red on the left. wtf.
Screenshot 2014-08-18 20.17.04.png
Yes and not only is it yellow, but opposite to the only other bar on the market that uses that color, Core kiteboarding. They use the yellow in the left side and the white on the right. I have this bar and it makes sense to me. Solid is on the right. I am NOT saying that I think yellow is the correct color for the left side of the bar. I also think red should be the standard.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Has thanked: 0

Postby jbdc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Jensb wrote:Why not red/green ? (looks nice dosent count if there is an impact on safety imo)
Roughly 10% of the male population is red/green colour blind. These people cannot be deck officers on ships, nor can they be airline pilots. Both of these disciplines require testing to ensure that the individuals in question can correctly determine the direction other craft are headed at night.

There is no such test for the sale of consumer products like kite control bars. While I understand the appeals for standardization and the historical reasons for port/left/red: red/green is a horrible choice to standardize on. A colourblind rider would see only two barely distinguishable shades of grey/brown.

Toby's suggestion is the best: red on left, neutral colour (ideally black or white) on the right. Blue wouldn't be too bad either. At any rate, the important thing is contrast and red/green doesn't do it.

Given that the market is mostly guys, and 10% of them can't tell the difference between red and green, it's probably a good thing we haven't standardized on red/green.

Some of you may be wondering how these people are allowed to drive: Traffic lights have a standard orientation: Red, amber, green from top to bottom. The whole point of a spinning kite bar is that the orientation can be changed.

Just to confuse matters further, I'll add that we could also standardize top/bottom with a 'right' and a 'wrong' tone facing the rider--like on the Epic bar which has (had?) 'WRONG WAY' emblazoned near the hole.

As it stands, I'm happy with 'red on left/not red on right'.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm

what about whatever color and they mark the backside with "wrong" or "Stop" etc?

Is this better for our brains to understand? Will we be quicker in realizing that we have the bar the wrong way around?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

--JS-- Nailed it, with his post here ; best argument FOR standardization
that i have seen on this Thread !!
JS wrote:The anti-standardization viewpoints of some here might be caused by misunderstanding that certain safety standards are intended to reinforce intuition and minimize the chance of human error, and not as an alternative to knowing how to use one's equipment.

Some of the greatest proponents of basic safety standards and routines are pilots with thousands of hours of (death-free) flying experience. They understand that people occasionally make mistakes, and they try to reduce the frequency and severity of them. They generally don't spend time writing pointless drivel on aviation forums to oppose the simplest of measures that can help reinforce intuition and minimize potential for human error.

That said, I totally understand that some kiteboarders are above that kind of thinking, which is impressively badass.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:11 am

Industry.........

I say - Red on the left.

Naish have doen great things for kiteboarding, but I have lost a bit of respect here unfortunately because I think maybe someone made an aesthetic over safety decision.

There was the dude from brazil that was killed from the second lofting (not too windy). Don't know precise details but there is alway that possibility that he pulled wrong side of bar to make things better during a loop, but instead made things worse pulling wrong side.

I have done exactly what toby did in the past. wears out reasonably quick but is sooooo grippy if you buy the right stuff - even when wet - red on left....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:22 am

in dim light conditions you will be able to detect which side of the bar is dark and which is light but not able to detect the color. If you do a lot of riding at dusk & dawn, when it is raining or snowing or overcast and some of your bars are dark on the right and some are white on the right you will know this well it is very annoying. If the red is a dark red and the right is black that's no good in dim light.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:14 am

I also did not care which way around I rigged my bar till one day I gave my kite to a friend while flying and he promptly crashed it because he thought red was necessarily left.

BTW the historical reason that the rhyme "red on right returning" only works in the America's, plus Philippines, Korea and Japan is that the whole world was the other way, but during the war of independence a US admiral ordered the signs and lights reversed on eastern shores of the USA to confuse English captains. The change stuck, and was then forced on the rest of the America's, as well as those other three countries when they were run by the US, and they never went back.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 am

Just to confuse matters further, I'll add that we could also standardize top/bottom with a 'right' and a 'wrong' tone facing the rider--like on the Epic bar which has (had?) 'WRONG WAY' emblazoned near the hole.
Also HQ, also LF for a while I think. There is no downside to having text in addition to color. I'll always react to text first, especially if they throw in some exclamation marks.

Return to “Kitesurfing”