Local Beach: Isle of Wight
Gear: CORE GTS4 7,9,12
Slingshot Turbine 2012 17m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Should I Upgrade my Board?

Postby PeterB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Heya guys! :D

I'm a 6,0 ft 65kg ,rider rookie who can 9/10 times stay upwind and can now turns around completely without stopping and get slight air. At the moment I'm riding a 134/41 Xelerator Thrill 2009 board, which seems fun, but I'd really like to do more and have been told by other riders I'd get more out of other boards as I get better. And so therefore I have some questions:

1) Does having a smaller/larger board, (3-4 cm's each way), make a significant difference to riding? I've never demoed any others, (none available in my area), and am the lightest rider out of the locals by a long way so cannot try out a smaller board from them :(
2) Do older boards have a lot of difference to the more recent?
3) Should I get an older, (loved but not abused), board to try out or invest in a newer one?
4) Any recommendations for this type of board?

I've got a 7/10/13.5 Quiver and have got flat water and wave conditions available to me so looking for an all round choice. I expect to be gaining 10kg or so for this winter, (gym hopefully!).

Cheers,
Pete

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Should I Upgrade my Board?

Postby edt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:08 pm

if your board is at all adequate I wouldn't bother shopping for another board until you gain more experience. When you are progressing so fast your taste in boards will also change, one week you will want a board that goes up wind better, the next week you can go upwind so well all you want is a board that is good in chop the next week you want something with pop etc etc. Normally you want to wait until your progression slows down a bit before you shop. Only if you find your progress is being seriously impeded by the board then yes, switch.

"told by other riders I'd get more out of other boards as I get better"

Excellent advice.

1) Does having a smaller/larger board, (3-4 cm's each way), make a significant difference

yes

2) Do older boards have a lot of difference to the more recent?

not unless you get really old boards

3) Should I get an older, (loved but not abused), board to try out or invest in a newer one?

old kites suck especially when they get thin as tissue paper, but there's nothing wrong with an older board as long as you are sure it's not starting to delaminate

4) Any recommendations for this type of board?

don't worry as you get more into the sport you will have so many boards you will wonder where to store them all, every board is different

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 pm

I agree with everything edt said. For your weight (same as mine pretty much) those board dimensions are pretty perfect for you right now, the only other things you might look for in a board (rocker line, flex profile, bottom shape/channels) are features that you won't be able to utilize for a while still. I would keep what you have until you can get a few tricks under your belt, maybe learn how to back roll, raley, learn to boost, etc.

Then decide if you want a board for riding with boots (bigger board, more rocker, channels, less flex) or if you want to stay with straps (about the same size as you have now, a little more flex), or if you just want to boost big (smaller board), or if you want to surf waves (surfboard) etc... these things you will figure out as you get better and become more educated about different styles and what you want to ride.

Or if you have the money to blow, pick whichever style you think you'll be heading toward and get a new board. Whatever keeps the stoke level up is the best!

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

you can ride all your life just one board. it is rider not the board.

did i read it correctly, 65kg? why do you need 13,5 then? you can be a pro rider for any brand! :lol:

PeterB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Wight
Gear: CORE GTS4 7,9,12
Slingshot Turbine 2012 17m
Been thanked: 0

Postby PeterB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive feedback guys! Look like i'll keep the beast for a while yet

And yeah the 13.5 is just for those lighter days since I've had a lot of holiday recently so thought it'd be good to get out as often as possible :) , like often this summer we got nice; steady 12/13 knots which were really fun and meant I could compete with everybody else on they're 17m Zephyrs :D

Got a good deal on it and the bar is beautiful , -> Core sensor Bar

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Having several boards is good.
But you really need to know what you want to improve with your board before looking at others.

For example a bigger board will get you going in lighter winds. It means you can have 2 boards in the beach and change between the 2 if the wind drops off/picks up.

A smaller board will hold more power and be easier to do tricks.
A board with more rocker will be smoother in the chop and waves
Rounded tips also smooth chop but make for a power hungery board.....

So.... consider what other feature you would like then look for a board to do that. Keep in mind that there is always a trade off of features. there is no one board to rule them all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”