Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Bullet - any feedback on this board?

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Bullet - any feedback on this board?

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:54 am

xray wrote:Rode the Fish, have a Nugget.
Lightwind almost nothing can keep up with the Nugget. To me it was so much more livelier than the Fish as well. Shoots upwind too..

do you ride it in waves? How do you find it compared to the fish? This has been on my mind for some time now :-)

I really liked last years fish for the light stuff and small waves...I had it out in super light conditions and liked it for small waves, but after getting more time on the raceboard I kept on not using it...
Last edited by tautologies on Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Has thanked: 0

Postby xray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:27 am

I rode it in choppy 3m waves, still holds very, very well, not the tight arcs but grips very well and smooth. Fish felt sluggish to me...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 am

tautologies wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:You're not just saying it's better than the Nugget cos you're a Naish fan and prefer surfboards, are you Taut? Would someone like me, looking for a lightwind board for fun that isn't a raceboard and can't surf, still have fun with it?
no no I am not saying it is better than the nugget that would depend on what you are looking for... As I said above I have not even ridden the nugget. I've ridden nugget like boards...but not the same.

I am saying it is different as far as I can see the nugget is slightly more geared towards surf and this slightly more towards light wind cruising. I'd say the fish is better compared to the nugget.

I am quite sure that the bigger bullet will be a little better than the nugget in lightwinds, but again no way for me to really know that. It really depends on what you are looking for.

:-)
edit: I think you would like it. Look here is my approach to boards. I love all sorts of different types of boards, for different types of riding. Using a huge wide board for big waves though is like using a hammer to cut down a tree..it is just the wrong tool. The ONLY boards I have had a dislike for are some boards that felt they had something wrong with them for kiting. For instance I borrowed a friends lightwind board, and it felt like riding in glue. The board was a surfboard made for small waves, and had way too much toe in on the fins. It was probably okay for surfing small waves. the fins would help break the speed down a little and keep the rider in the pocket better, but when you are kiting in lightwinds you do not want your board to suck unnecessary energy from you :-)

I think the bullet is great for light wind cruising, small waves...you can use it when the wind and chop picks up a lot better than boards meant for surf and light wind...

It is definitely controllable in high speeds...one of the times I demoed it was at a race, and the board was fun going really really fast. Big fins means you can kind of ride it like a raceboard, but without the strain on your ankles. I rode it over here in sloppy surf, it was fun to make the drop but a little harder to make solid bottom turns on it...but I would think that is a problem with all the big surfboards...especially the ones with wide tails.

edit2: this is why I usually tend to not comment on otherboards..even if I have ridden them...it is so easy to misunderstand my intention.. so usually I'll keep the comment to board I know really well and like :-)
Thanks!

Not really into surfing, but if I can't ride cos the wind is light - which it is a lot here - I get antsy... Nugget is supposed to be more 'fun' than a Sector etc. but I'll never get to demo either.

I *might* be able to wrangle a demo on a Naish board... maybe :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am

ught I would update this now...
I finally bought the bullet (5'4'')...so to speak. Had it out in sloppy surf today. Very weird wind too and had a blast. I rode it strapless great board. :-)

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue May 14, 2013 3:12 pm

tautologies wrote:I finally bought the bullet (5'4'')...so to speak
How big are fins on Bullet? Regular surfboard fins or something different?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue May 14, 2013 7:30 pm

RalfsB wrote:
tautologies wrote:I finally bought the bullet (5'4'')...so to speak
How big are fins on Bullet? Regular surfboard fins or something different?
I'll take a pic. The fin boxes are normal but it has custom fins. Almost no sweep on the fins.

vikot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Island, Croatia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Viganj Croatia.
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 11m, Naish Bullet board
Been thanked: 0

Postby vikot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:20 am

I have a Bullet. Bought it on sale. It is my first surfboard for kite, I just started to learn how to ride it and so far I love it.
Just a quick questions for Tautologies. When you say small waves, what do you consider small (in ft)? :). Or what size waves you find Bullet good for?

Thanks! I love you reviews.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:32 am

vikot wrote:I have a Bullet. Bought it on sale. It is my first surfboard for kite, I just started to learn how to ride it and so far I love it.
Just a quick questions for Tautologies. When you say small waves, what do you consider small (in ft)? :). Or what size waves you find Bullet good for?

Thanks! I love you reviews.
I rode it in maybe shoulder high waves...but mostly sloppy waves. Btw on this board you'd get a board similar to more modern shapes with an old style nose.

Btw, once you try it with non-stock fins you'll find you really bought two boards...the stock fins are great for super lightwind upwind drive...surf fins makes it much better in waves. You can use FCS fins :-)

vikot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Island, Croatia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Viganj Croatia.
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 11m, Naish Bullet board
Been thanked: 0

Postby vikot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks! :)
I'll definitely try surf fins...

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Pierrot wrote:Thanks.
Do you know how it compares to some of the competitors in terms of low-end and upwind ability?
Compared to the Nugget, Subwoofer... Or a freerace board like the sector
I had some rides on few LW surf board like the Nugget (I have a 2012), an Axon WTF 5'6" (had the 2013/14) Fone Fish 5'10" (had a 2013) Sector 54cm (tried my friend's board) Naish Bullet 5'0" (tried my friend's board). I did not tried the Subwoofer. In term of LW performance here is how I would rate them:

1- Airush Sector
2- Fone Fish 5'10"
3- Axon WTF 5'6" & North Nugget 5'
4- Naish Bullet 5'

While there is very little difference in LW performance between the #1 trought #3 there is a huge gap with the Bullet. To me, this is not a good LW surf board. But that being said, it is a really good and fun to ride surf. The construction also seem really nice. But if it is really mostly for LW, forget it. The Fone Fish I did not like it in medium to higher wind, certainly not a fun board compared to the Nugget or Axon WTF. The Sector 54 do not seem to start planning sooner then my Nugget but once it is going, you gain much more speed and goes upwind a bit better so the LW capacity is better. I have some serious repairs to do on my Nugget and I have decided to get an other LW surf board. I decided to get an other Axon WTF, this is very similar to the Nugget but I personally prefer it maybe just because of the sizing difference. The new 2015 Axon SB are made in Hawaii and can be custom made.

Pierrot, just send me an email if you need more infos: info@kitexpress.ca

Return to “Kitesurfing”