Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New surfboard? Looking for advice

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

New surfboard? Looking for advice

Postby adamj2281 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm a fairly experienced kiteboarder (5 years now/3 on a surfboard) ride about 60/40 surfboard to twintip at this point, mainly dependent on conditions. I'm 6'0, 180 lbs. and most of our waves are waist to head (when there are waves) and sideshore conditions. Occasionally we get a rideable side-off day with waves and it's great. I ride mostly strapless, straps only if it's really big and rough.

Anyways, I have a 5'8" LItewave Quad that I've beat for the last 3 years, it's been a great board and takes a beating. I'm looking for a possible replacement, and wondering if I should go with a bit longer of a board to work through chop, etc. better or what. There's a 6'1 Ocean Rodeo surf series that I can get a deal on, but it looks pretty skinny (18" wide, not sure the volume) compared to my 5'8"

Any thoughts?

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New surfboard? Looking for advice

Postby mr moon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 am

Hey buddy, I think as you had a 5'8" you might want to try a tad longer perhaps 6'0" or up to 6'2", in this way you could have the perfect board quiver.
I'd also go for a double set up option: thruster / quad so you can try different things and tune yr board for different conditions / wave sizes.
18" might be a little narrow but the volume is a key factor to consider too..
There hundreds of surfboards out there.. pointless to recommend one or the other. I personally like Firewire kite-surfboards for being lively and softer under your feet (hence less bouncy-chattery in chop) unlike the extra stiff kite-dedicated standard surfboards..
My 2 cents

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:31 pm

adamj2281 wrote:I'm a fairly experienced kiteboarder (5 years now/3 on a surfboard) ride about 60/40 surfboard to twintip at this point, mainly dependent on conditions. I'm 6'0, 180 lbs. and most of our waves are waist to head (when there are waves) and sideshore conditions. Occasionally we get a rideable side-off day with waves and it's great. I ride mostly strapless, straps only if it's really big and rough.

Anyways, I have a 5'8" LItewave Quad that I've beat for the last 3 years, it's been a great board and takes a beating. I'm looking for a possible replacement, and wondering if I should go with a bit longer of a board to work through chop, etc. better or what. There's a 6'1 Ocean Rodeo surf series that I can get a deal on, but it looks pretty skinny (18" wide, not sure the volume) compared to my 5'8"

Any thoughts?

The Ocean Rodeo Surf Series is 6' 3" - 29.1 L

6' 3" x 19" x 2 5/16"

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Surfboard preference is a very personal thing... You should try as many as you can before buying. That said, it would be hard to go wrong with a Firewire Vanguard for what you're describing. But, no straps on that. But maybe you might prefer a different board for big and rough anyway. Flattish tail for smaller waves, more tail rocker for big waves.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Buy a 5'4" Vanguard and never look back. :jump:

Volume doesn't matter on a kite (surf)board. It's all about how it planes. Volume only matters when you're paddling in.

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Bushflyr wrote:Buy a 5'4" Vanguard and never look back. :jump:

Volume doesn't matter on a kite (surf)board. It's all about how it planes. Volume only matters when you're paddling in.
Only if you have enough wind to plane :wink:

I'm after one of those too :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”