Forum for all hooked tricks
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Why Does Microloop Work? or The Psychology of Float

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:43 pm

I have used a North bar with a microloop enough to recognize its advantage in increased in-the-air float time. Why can't we train ourselves to get the same amount of float without the microloop?

(For everyone who wants to immediately respond "we can!", please let us know how long you used a microloop before reaching your conclusion. :girl: )

Even with good kite and bar control skills and the utmost concentration, I can't get as much float time with a "regular" bar as I can with the microloop. The only explanation seems to be that I'm changing the position of the bar, even when I think I'm not. Why can't we train our muscle memory to get maximum float?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Why Does Microloop Work? or The Psychology of Float

Postby edt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:04 pm

FLandOBX wrote:The only explanation seems to be that I'm changing the position of the bar, even when I think I'm not.
Not the only explanation. Remember the microhook does not have the bar pulled all the way in, it is a little bit out (so you can pull the bar in to unhook the microhook). Try this: Depower the kite by half an inch on the trim, then see if you have the same amount of float as with the microhook.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:04 pm

good luck trying. and any further tricks ;-)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Well yes, if you intended to just jump and concentrate entirely on your bar throw and position, then theoretically off course it is entirely possible.

But maybe you are missing the entire point of the microloop....?

Hey get yourself a permanent marker a draw a big ass blacks line on your depower just above the bar when hooked into microloop position if you must...then Go and jump and keep it on that line...and then what?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Let me ask the question another way. While it seems easy in theory to get as much in-the-air float time without a microloop, why can't we accomplish it in practice?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Like he said, try to keep the bar at that point ;-)

For just jumps you don't need it. If you take 1 or 2 hands of the bar you need it for long float.

Or a stopper. But it is not as good...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Yes, I want the float for board-offs, one-footers and grabs (I don't care as much about deadman and tricks with both hands off), but I like to keep the bar simple. If I could achieve equivalent time in the air for one-hand tricks, I'd do them without a microloop (or stopper). I just don't think it can be done. (Guess this is just an endorsement of the microloop's benefits for airstyle.)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Okay see where you are coming from now. Well one thing I have found to maximise float without a micro and not using the stopper for one handed board offs, so other hand still on the bar..is really rotate your head and body the opposite way (or exaggerate the rotate the way you have sent the kite)...for instance I do my boards offs going to the left, hence left hand left on the bar.

So I rotate my head (body follows) a hell of a lot to the right, sometime almost facing windward...board off is done facing the opposite way to travel (not in front on the bar) and as you put the board on (because you will naturally straighten up as the kite starts to redirect becuase of the pressure of your left hand (that's the key with the micro by the way, no pressure..even with your hand split across the depower rope there is a bias towards redirection as you hang off that hand), lean again in my case to the right..almost try and hang over the bar in the opposite direction (to the right in my case) to the redirection (left in my case) to put board back on. Gives you that extra bit of hang...and sometime if you get it right suspends you up for a bit.

So in essence your head, body and indeed arms..including the left have to go past the sent kite ..kite goes to 12/1230 but you've rotated to 1/2 ...which just reduces the speed of redirection.

And of course smallest bar setting and longer lines ... :D

It all theory though...once I leant over so far, I landed head first in the water going to the right with the kite redirection the opposite way...that wasn't fun...ah ha .

Most simple one dimensional board off tricks though a micro is not needed. Be honest I'm still getting used to mine....

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Central Florida, USA

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:32 am

That's great advice, Westozzy. I use that technique with basic grabs (mainly just for stylin'), but I can see how it would counteract the re-direction of the kite for board-offs, etc. and give additional time in the air. I'll definitely try it. In the final analysis, I usually rush the end of my board-offs because my bar hand (even when centered on the bar) is re-directing the kite sooner than I'd like. Your suggestion should help me with that. Many thanks for the input.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:25 am

If you look at my tricks...almost all tricks with no rotation use the microloop.
And almost all with rotation don't!

But I jump to the right, meaning I have my stronger right arm in the bar.

Return to “Airstyle”