Nielshm
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tacking

Postby Nielshm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:53 am

The riding is now under control both up and downwind. It is now time to look at the turns.
As my pedigree is from waveboards I thought I could just use the tack as on the surfboard.
That results in my foil leaving the water every time as I clearly push too hard on my back foot (as I do on my surfboard).
My thought is to start learning the tack surfaced first and the progress to foiling tack. I have seen Gunnars video but believe learning the surface tack is step 1 as foiling just fail almost before starting the tack.
So advice is sought. After about 40 tack attempts yesterday (3 windsurfers, that I normally blast by, came up and asked if I was ok as I was more in the drink than above...embarrassing)
Im loosing the lift from the kite during the turn (probably due to low surfaced speed) and end up sinking or create too much kite power and gets thrown off upwind.
Maybe I should train the turn by staying toeside and get the right speed and kite lift?
Anyone been in a similar situation? :idea:
PS
Im on a race foil so need speed

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Tacking

Postby gmb13 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:36 am

The Surface tack happens automatically when go into the foiling tack too slow.

Are you trying to roll tack or straight tack? If you are roll taking, just stick with it and it will come. If you are using a small not so wide board, it will be a bit harder as its not as forgiving when touching down, bigger board make the learning curve less steep. Using a size bigger then normal can also help.

If you are trying to straight tack, go into the manoeuvre just a bit slower. Also make sure to not overpressure your back foot when carving around. If you want to touch down, you need to keep some pressure on the front foot. You can also try by not having your back foot in the strap (if you are riding strapped) and place it more forward as you enter the tack.

--
Gunnar

Nielshm
Rare Poster

Postby Nielshm » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:58 am

Good idea by taking a step further back and just stay with the roll tack. My board is relatively narrow so I need to stay on my CL. Yesterday was indeed underpowered so bigger kite today will help.
Thanks Gunnar! :bye: Great videos by the way :thumb:

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:48 am

What's the difference between roll and straight tack?
thanks,

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 am

During a roll tack you always face forward into the wind and after your tack you have a twist in your lines.

During a regular tack you rotate and turn your back to the wind and are facing the back of your board at one point. You get no twist in your lines.

The roll tack is faster and is always preferred by racers. You can stay up on the foil as you roll tack but I have never seen anyone foil through a regular tack.

The regular tack is considered easier to learn but if you are hydrofoiling, you should certainly learn roll tacks.

:wink: CG

Nielshm
Rare Poster

Tacking - ow with video

Postby Nielshm » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 am

So spent 3 days roll tacking. I´ve established that my surfboard tacks does not work on the foilboard. I seem to put so much weight on my backfoot to create lift and pivot that i foil out of the water. S a more gentle carve seem to be the tool.
Yesterday put on the GoPro as Im getting fed up after about 100 tack fails past 3 days and getting no progress.
Below is basically what happens every time. I have taken back foot out to create more pressure when carving. Surface tacks only.
My motion seems to carry me over the side of the board. I feel almost no lift from the kite and drop passing the board.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/105466381[/vimeo]

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tacking - ow with video

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:37 am

Nielshm wrote:So spent 3 days roll tacking. I´ve established that my surfboard tacks does not work on the foilboard. I seem to put so much weight on my backfoot to create lift and pivot that i foil out of the water. S a more gentle carve seem to be the tool.
Yesterday put on the GoPro as Im getting fed up after about 100 tack fails past 3 days and getting no progress.
Below is basically what happens every time. I have taken back foot out to create more pressure when carving. Surface tacks only.
My motion seems to carry me over the side of the board. I feel almost no lift from the kite and drop passing the board.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/105466381[/vimeo]
Sounds like you are on the right track :thumb:

3 days and 100 attempts is not that much, just keep doing it (but not the whole session, as then you will get "over" focused and lose the target so to speak)

I can not do it well either, except occasionally - but I know how many attempts that are needed for me (a lot more ha haa), and how quickly you get away from the target, if you try too much :wink:

Others can give you more detailed advice I think, but would just say, that this sport is great because you dont learn as fast as "old" kitesurfing, and have to ditch a lot of your usual stuff, and start all over again like a beginner that only knows how to fly a ktie :naughty:

This is a good challenge - and it pays off later and feels good, somehow much better than if easy !

Remember to put www. in front of the address, and no s after http:

Code: Select all

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/105466381[/vimeo]

8) PF

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 am

Looks like me on a raceboard when the kite is not redirected early enough. Try delaying your carve compared to kite position maybe?

antonell0
Rare Poster
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Hydrofoil, wave boards

Postby antonell0 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:50 pm

You are trying to switch your feet too early.
Moreover, move your weight more towards the nose of the board.

As general rule, instead of trying 100 times the same thing, try to change slightly ONE thing each time (eg timing in switching feet, speed in reversing the kite, etc)
You will see the progresses,

Happy ride

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Not sure who this is..
tack_s10.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”