Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strapless 'directional' surfboard on chop = mowing?

Forum for kitesurfers
bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None

Strapless 'directional' surfboard on chop = mowing?

Postby bc-sf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 am

I'm new at this - 3rd season
Getting to a point of jumps and spins on a twintip has been relatively easy (*lots of faceplants on front rolls).

I started on my surfboard strapless (bay chop) and got the hang of gybing and some small ollies, but found i occasionally over extended during landings, and sometime being pulled off on the backside of a swell (stupid mistakes). I started getting bored though - feeling that i was mostly doing lawnmower activity.

Watching the strapped surfboard riders go high and spin inspired me to put the straps on and i surprised myself with added jump height, and grace in my spins. Taking off the straps i found i could gybe a little more confidently (gybing with straps is way fussier), but otherwise it was back to the feeling of mowing -even if the swell is good, it doesn't break much.. Going upwind and gybing are about equivalent on the trick satisfaction scale for me. Taking off the straps put me back to feeling like an aimless worm.

For those not riding waves but strapless on a surfboard, are you primarily mowing? what goals and progression do you find pushing you? What tricks drive you to keep it interesting?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Strapless 'directional' surfboard on chop = mowing?

Postby sarc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 am

I think you should be looking at skimboards if you want to ride strapless in the flats - find some mark Shinn skimboard videos on youtube. Not my cup of team but to each his own...

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Strapless 'directional' surfboard on chop = mowing?

Postby GregK » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 am

Duck tack maybe ? To nail 'em in choppy conditions keeps me pumped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNVF9MCs ... r_embedded

Return to “Kitesurfing”