Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Razor... This kite is not....gBoring.

Forum for kitesurfers
Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: Ocean Rodeo Razor... This kite is not....gBoring.

Postby Do-it » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:34 pm

surf-turkey wrote:Can you directly compare it to the characteristics of the rebel? And what year rebel is your 12?
My rebel is a 2012. I do love this kite. So.....

The rebel rides upwind faster. The razor isn't a slouch, it's just hard to beat the rebel.
The rebel has a lot more bar pressure than the razor.
The Razor is by far a faster kite in the air. It also turns much tighter.( I am comparing a 10 to a 12.) But still The 10 is much faster than even my 9 charger.

The rebel is always pulling. Yes it has great depower, but there is always power and pull.With the razor, I was able to move it to a neutral position sheet out and completely turn off the power while it drifted deeper into the wind window.

Jumping- The rebel is a smoother booster. It's like taking off in an air plane with a smooth take off and smooth landing. There is always pull from the kite during the jump. There is more hang time on the rebel. I'm not sure which kite will jump higher. I've only flown the razor at the bottom ass end.

When you send the razor hard it's like the hand of god comes down and snatches you off the water with remarkable speed. Unlike the rebel, it's easy to tell when you reach the apex of your jump because the kite stops pulling.... just sits there eagerly awaiting your next command, taunting you to loop it, like... "come on, loop me mother focker.....quit being such a big pussy and loop me..it's not to late.... I'll catch you... you know you want to.. I won't hurt you." But, sometimes she does hurt you.

And I know this is a silly thing to bitch about but... North, put the fucking deflate valve in the God damn center of the kite. Why is it not in the center??? Really... what the f*** happened there??Is it a private joke amongst the north engineers? Do they go out to the beach when the wind is nuking to watch people fumble f*** around with their kites? Is there a secret video collection of fumble fuckers out there that you guys watch when there is no wind? because that is the only reason that makes any sense to me.

Well surf turkey I hope I helped. If you have a specific question ask away.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Do-it wrote:
"come on, loop me mother focker.....quit being such a big pussy and loop me "

I know this is a silly thing to bitch about

North, put the fucking deflate valve in the God damn wingtip of the kite.

Why is it not in the center???

Really... what the f*** happened there

Is it a private joke amongst the north engineers?

Do they go out to the beach when the wind is nuking to watch people fumble f*** around

Is there a secret video collection of fumble fuckers out there

Obviously frustrated about the dumb valve when deflating the kite
Frustrated also when pumping the kite perhaps
Rushing to pump pump pump pump pump pump pump ...OOOPS..forgot to close the dumb valve

I suggest you drink Rebel Yell to take the edge off ....just do it..just sayin

http://img0.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/ful ... 85707.jpeg

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Litewave Dave » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Keep on Wingin' it you bad ass mutha fcuker. Nice review! Fuckin-A.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Awesome review! :thumb: I mostly kite a 9m Caution Spitfire and recently snagged a 7m Razor because it was cheap. I love the kite but haven't gotten past the point where it bitchslaps me into the water on backroll loops. Thank you sir! May I have another!?

I was kiting it in our last hurricane and it pulled so hard it ripped both the pigtails off my lines. No kite damage though. The Razor is a great kite, but not for the timid.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Bushflyr wrote:Awesome review! :thumb: I mostly kite a 9m Caution Spitfire and recently snagged a 7m Razor because it was cheap. I love the kite but haven't gotten past the point where it bitchslaps me into the water on backroll loops. Thank you sir! May I have another!?

I was kiting it in our last hurricane and it pulled so hard it ripped both the pigtails off my lines. No kite damage though. The Razor is a great kite, but not for the timid.
Very stoked to have you on the Razor! Welcome aboard!

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:29 pm

surf-turkey wrote:Can you directly compare it to the characteristics of the rebel? And what year rebel is your 12?
A reply follows but it is more like a short story made long.

I have been a Rebel fan since I first rode the 2010 model 7m and later the 6m and 5m. All great kites and the 5m perhaps ahead of its time.

Since then I have owned a 2011 Rebel 7m (which was another great Rebel) then a 2012 Rebel 5m (most awesome little kite) and 2012 Rebel 9m (nice but sedate) then 2014 Rebel 7m (replaced the 2011) and 2014 8m and a 2012 Rebel 10m to complete the set.

I had been wanting to change from the Rebel style of kite and tried the 2014 model Dice in many sizes . . . well enough already written about them and some great hype . . . liked the 8m but the others felt quite ordinary to me. Then I tried a few other brand kites but still not enough excitement or temptation to change. After all, the Rebels are a great kite.

I had read about the qualities of the OR Razor since their changes to the model in 2012. All said how happy they were when few changes were made in producing the 2013 model as OR had built some magic into the 2012 line that everyone was worried would be lost. Venturi flaps and kinky wingtips . . . surely gimmicks . . . and pulleys. You have got to be kidding i thought.

I spotted the special on the 2013 7m Razor mentioned earlier and thought I should grab one. The price was great and worth the risk. It ended up being a bit too much hassle at the time to get one shipped over at reasonable freight costs and the sale fell through.

. . . but finally, after searching far and wide, I secured a secondhand 2013 8m Razor from Windance (Hood River Oregon) and a love affair began. So fast, so precise and what a buzz to fly. It certainly owns its name. Not as smooth as the 2014 Rebel 7m and not as powerful as the 8m but it had won me over. This Razor kite is exciting to fly and feels alive unlike many kites that could be likened to the 'flying dead'. The Razor is full on FUN whether you are trying loops, jumps or coast runs. (Unhooked performance I will leave for someone else to comment)

I now craved the 2013 7m even more and after further discussions with NED (from OceanRodeo) was able to grab one through . . . eastcoastkitesurfing.com.au (thanks Nigel and Ned).

Well I have now had a few days on the 7m and this kite is even more amazing than the 8m. (not possible I had thought after some great sessions on the 8m)

After a demo on the 2014 9m, I purchased it also. This kite also rates a thumbs up and caused the instant sale of my 9m Rebel. Needless to say, the 6m Rebel is sold and the 7m and 8m will be listed shortly.

Am getting to demo the 10m in the next two weeks. Perhaps the 10m Rebel's days are numbered but we shall see.

The 5m Rebel will need a very special kite to take its place . . . maybe the Storm is the one but a demo on it would be difficult to arrange.

Well, that is it . . . almost.

Downsides you ask . . . well yes there is but not with the Razor kites.

I am not using the OR bar and lines. DO not like swivels or under bar depower systems. Am using a modified North setup as they have the best spinning trim loop and a great above bar depower system. Hopefully, OR will consider a possible upgrade to their above bar depower setup in the future. The Razor kites however are brilliant.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 pm

max wrote:Well I have now had a few days on the 7m and this kite is even more amazing than the 8m. (not possible I had thought after some great sessions on the 8m)

I am not using the OR bar and lines. DO not like swivels or under bar depower systems. Hopefully, OR will consider a possible upgrade to their above bar depower setup in the future. The Razor kites however are brilliant.
Max, we are humbled by your enthusiasm... thank-you!

The Razor really is a special kite and we are stoked to see it getting some of the attention it deserves. Windance, as you mentioned, has a large stock of used kites from us as they are our partner in selling used demo and warranty product. As well, we ship direct anywhere in the world and within EU and NA through our partner dealerships when you buy online...(our dealers see all our online sales and fulfill for us).

In terms of the bar, we now have a smooth above the bar option available. However, we are also hard at work on a new new bar too... so stay posted!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:06 pm

the razor is my favorite kite, i have snapped two airush depower straps from the G's this kite pulls

I have tried full on C kites, and if my conditions were perfect and always windy i would probably always be on a C kite, however the razor feels enough to be C along with the wind range of an SLE

anyways the kite is great, but i think it can be better...in theory

the ocean rodeo bar has a split that is 10 feet up, i used low V split bars, i like how my kites feel this way and along with that low V comes single line safety...the kite turns better and jumps better for me, especially when its nuking and on 20m lines, i can out jump anyone on my beach, not hang time though, but height

the kite flies fine with my bar, along with the two rear pigtails, however the bridal is tuned so that it releases on two front lines, longer bridal=less directness

if ocean rodeo were to go to single release they could essentially tune the kite to have a better C feel, at the very least they could get rid of the two top pulleys :naughty:

however ocean rodeo is hard to break with change and want backwards compatibility and blah blah blah....i say its time for a change

while the zig zag and vents do sound gimmicky they do make a magical kite, my 10m is starting to feel bagged out from all the punishment i have been putting it through, i have demoed so many other kites trying to find something better but still keep passing them and keeping the trusty 10m razor, so I'm close to buying a new one, but all of a sudden they have a new prodigy! so does that mean they will come out with a new razor?

i did have a 12 but found that one eh...the 10m is so close to it in low end and its slower, rather have a big light wind kite (just got a 15m solo to try) :naughty: and go to the 10m

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 pm

jespin4845 wrote:i can out jump anyone on my beach, not hang time though, but height
Totally agree... if you're looking for more loft in your jumps, go Prodigy or even the Flite but the Razor is the most aggressive, highest jumping kite by far... but does require some signing to get down soft. I f'n love the feeling of losing my stomach though when I send a Razor... especially the 7 and 8, they just leave it behind... such a rush.
jespin4845 wrote:if ocean rodeo were to go to single release they could essentially tune the kite to have a better C feel, at the very least they could get rid of the two top pulleys :naughty:
Not that I am condoning this but I will say this is possible... if you are using a single line re-ride bar with the Razor you can lock out the pullies completely. I've flown with this set up, much more direct steering but it also makes the kite slightly more stall prone. (reduces sheeting range so sheeting out to climb the kite does less).
jespin4845 wrote:however ocean rodeo is hard to break with change and want backwards compatibility and blah blah blah....i say its time for a change
I agree, we have been talking about exactly this jump... I will keep you posted.
jespin4845 wrote:while the zig zag and vents do sound gimmicky
I wish you knew how hard we debated these type of decisions for that exact concern, people thinking we did them as a gimmick and for no good reason but the truth of the matter is that the FST wing tips make a difference and the Vents were the best solution we could find to reduce stalling in such a heavily coned kite.

Basically, I'm saying we didn't just add a spoiler to a honda civic hoping to style it up... we put one on a race car to keep it on the track.
jespin4845 wrote:but all of a sudden they have a new prodigy! so does that mean they will come out with a new razor?
Absolutely it does. We shifted last year away from "seasonal" to "generational" updates to all of our gear in order to allow us to release new products on a timeline that best suits the product cycle and our dealer's interests. The new Prodigy is out now, there is a new Flite coming next week and we will launch a new generation of Razor around Christmas.

~ JZ, OR

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 am

Just to concur with what has been said, the 10m Razor is by far my favorite kite to ride. I've had Razors since the first generation and they have consistently gotten better, but for the most part I've found that I really like the smaller sizes (>10m) because of the explosive pull off the water when jumping and the overall speed of turning/looping.

As stated, the hangtime is not as great as the Prodigy and other kites, so I'm moving to a 14.5m Flite to pair with my 10m/8m Razor. I'm thinking this will be a good setup because I pretty much ride the 10m from 16 knots up, so anything below will be for the Flite and I'll be able to increase my low end.

The above the bar trim is an improvement, although I'm excited to see what they have coming out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”