Shorter Race/Freerace boards

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shorter Race/Freerace boards

Postby shawn13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:14 pm

davesails7 wrote:
shawn13 wrote: With the current configuration the CoG has move further back. Thoughts?
Sorry I might have been confusing you. Don't worry about the CoG of the board. I was talking about on your original graphic that you would have your weight too far forward.

The CoG of you and the board together is what matters. You weigh a lot more than the board, so the CoG of the board itself doesn't matter much at all compared to where you put the footstraps.

Looks good though!
Where should i put the footstraps relative to the CoG? Centered? I cant really factor in my CoG because the force from the kite is always a variable changing it.
longwhitecloud wrote:what airlines only allow up to 1.50?
In Canada anything over 158cm is oversized, and fees associated with it. I just want to avoid that.

TPink
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm

11 lbs!!?

Is that just the blank in the pic or the all up board/fins/straps?

If it's just the blank that's way too heavy!! I have a 6' surfboard i made, and with fins & straps it comes in around 8lbs.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:39 pm

TPink wrote:11 lbs!!?

Is that just the blank in the pic or the all up board/fins/straps?

If it's just the blank that's way too heavy!! I have a 6' surfboard i made, and with fins & straps it comes in around 8lbs.
11 lbs total with 42cm / 38cm fins. That's the calculated mass. I was generous with the resin blocks too so I'm predicting less final product.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 am

shawn13 wrote:11 lbs total with 42cm / 38cm fins.
If it's only 56 cm wide, those fins will be too big. Here is a fin sizing chart from the Rista website to give you an idea:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Ive come across that before but wasnt sure why that is. What happens when you have big fins on a small board?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:36 pm

The bigger the fins, the more the board wants to roll to the downwind side. Your weight on the upwind side counteracts the fins. The further out you are from the center of the board the more of a moment you are creating and you can counteract a bigger fin.

I had a 59 cm raceboard in the past. A fin set for a 65 cm board came up for sale. I think they were 37cm front and 32 cm rear quad fins. They were ok to ride in very light wind, but when the wind picked up at all the board became really hard to ride without getting pulled up and over the fins. Had to ride it at an extra high upwind angle and go slow when the wind picked up. So it worked, but you couldnt go really fast which is what riding these types of boards is all about.

There are a lot of 42/38 tri sets arpund now that people are dropping their raceboards. I always wondered what would happen with my oversized set if I cut them shorter and sanded down the bottoms to reshape them. They are made of solid G10 so you can cut and sand as mich as you want. I never wound up doing it though because I moved up to a 69cm board.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm

davesails7 wrote:The bigger the fins, the more the board wants to roll to the downwind side. Your weight on the upwind side counteracts the fins. The further out you are from the center of the board the more of a moment you are creating and you can counteract a bigger fin.

I had a 59 cm raceboard in the past. A fin set for a 65 cm board came up for sale. I think they were 37cm front and 32 cm rear quad fins. They were ok to ride in very light wind, but when the wind picked up at all the board became really hard to ride without getting pulled up and over the fins. Had to ride it at an extra high upwind angle and go slow when the wind picked up. So it worked, but you couldnt go really fast which is what riding these types of boards is all about.

There are a lot of 42/38 tri sets arpund now that people are dropping their raceboards. I always wondered what would happen with my oversized set if I cut them shorter and sanded down the bottoms to reshape them. They are made of solid G10 so you can cut and sand as mich as you want. I never wound up doing it though because I moved up to a 69cm board.
Great thanks, this information is useful. I may have to move down to a mini tuttle or fcs and smaller fins. Maybe a fin set from an airush board.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm

updated first post with build pics!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Here is an update on my project build:

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2386494

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Well, it worked!
board test.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”