Best weather station to buy?

Forum for kitesurfers
william_rx7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best weather station to buy?

Postby william_rx7 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:55 pm

I want to do this because windguru, windfinder ect. are pure bull shit.
Most sites that don't have weather stations use the nearest airport.
For Acapulco, the airport is it's right on the beach.

Is it really that inaccurate for current wind conditions?

Unless the airport is dead wrong (doesn't seem to be...), it seems pretty hard to beat, at a price of... nothing. Seems like spending $500 on your own sensor to get 1 or 2 knots of more accurate information is silly. I can't imagine the difference in the readings would ever be large enough to lead to a kite size change.
Attachments
aca.png

Windfinder
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Windfinder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:30 am

Sonic anemometers are great. However they are very expensive. Windfinder uses the anemomters and sensors suite from Davis which have proved to be reliable and durable.

Windfinder
Medium Poster

Postby Windfinder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 am

@william_rx7: Windfinder provides the live observations from several thousand airports worldwide, for example Acapulco Airport: http://www.windfinder.com/report/acapulco_aeropt

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Decagon sonic anemometer DS2 is under $500, not expensive and more reliable than moving plastic parts. Given all the trouble these services have caused with faulty equipment (that in some areas goes down for months) the investment is well worth it.

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Windfinder
Medium Poster

Postby Windfinder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:21 pm

@NYKiter
You may be right that an ultrasonic anemometer is available for ~ 500 US$. However you still need a storage and upload unit (preferrably one that is easy to configure). This will increase the price significantly. We at Windfinder use the Davis Vantage Vue (or alternatively the Vantage Pro sensor suite.) These have been sold worldwide for many years and they have proven to be reliable and robust. However there is always room for improvement. If you find an inexpensive ultrasonic anemometer please let me know. Maybe we can offer it optionally instead of the Davis Vantage sensor suite.

The Windfinder package consisting of a sensor suite (wind speed, wind direction, gusts, air temperature, air pressure, precipitation, humidity) plus HD outdoor webcam and storage and upload unit is available for 540 Euro (~ 666 US$): http://www.windfinder.com/weather-station/
It comes pre-configured as plug-and-play.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Its the most affordable scientific grade sonic anemometer on the market. Decagon has been serving the scientific community for decades and has distributions around the world. The Decagon cellular Em50G logger is $1,000 and comes with its own cell service. Sonic anemometers are hands down the most accurate reliable means of measuring winds and read well above the consumer grade plastic cup props like Davis. Your service is only as good as what your willing to spend.

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:49 am

Windfinder wrote:@william_rx7: Windfinder provides the live observations from several thousand airports worldwide, for example Acapulco Airport: http://www.windfinder.com/report/acapulco_aeropt
I have been on Acapulco beach right in front of the airport and get very diferent readings from the beach with my German Windtronic II compared to the Windfinder readings. This is why I want to put my own weather station.

Windfinder
Medium Poster

Postby Windfinder » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 am

The weather station at the airport is used for official aviation meteorology. I cannot imagine that the weather station at the airport is inaccurate. I you do test measurements please consider that the measurements at the airport in Acapulco are made each hour. They are 10 minute averages.

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:18 am

Windfinder wrote:The weather station at the airport is used for official aviation meteorology. I cannot imagine that the weather station at the airport is inaccurate. I you do test measurements please consider that the measurements at the airport in Acapulco are made each hour. They are 10 minute averages.
Readings every hour? I have to be honest, that doesnt work for me. A truly adicted kiteboarder needs second by second readings. Thats why I'm installing my own weather station. I have the perfect unobstructed spot in Acapulco.

Return to “Kitesurfing”