Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foilboard Advice

Postby Bradn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi guys,
I am thinking about building a foilboard, does anyone have knowledge building a carbon deep tuttle box?
Also probably a silly question, Is it ok to carbon straight over polystyrene? or best to have a layer of divnycell?

Here's the design (needing some changes, some of you might have seen it in the foil forum :D )
Attachments
side2.jpg
top2.jpg

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilboard Advice

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 am

What is the density of your polystyrene? I don't think you could get away with just carbon over the EPS unless it is quite high density and/or you are only using it in some less heavily loaded areas. I really doubt you could drop a tuttle box into the EPS foam and expect it to stay in place unless you have the top and bottom skin around it beefed up with HD foam.

I would suggest getting a chinook Tuttle box, but maybe they;re hard to find in NZ??

Peter

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foilboard Advice

Postby tkettlepoint » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 am

out line and rocker looks great.

carbon over eps maybe on the bottom with a layer of glass over it, on top I would do at least 1/8 layer of something first. just to help out with heal dents and such... ( production board use wood inlay or cork most the time)

Tuttle you can make if you have some skills, but you will have to inlay it into corecell or dinvy
for support around the box...

I just did a foil board for a customer that supplied a Ketos Box which is carbon. I inlayed it into corecell with carbon ( made the block the same thickness of the board 60mm thick) he also wanted a plate mount system so he could ride both of his foils.

anything can be made if you take your time

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com
Attachments
20141207_094732.jpg
20141207_095115.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”