windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: perfect wave kite

Postby windyway » Sun May 05, 2013 7:55 pm

BigPaul wrote: Where I struggle is timing on coming in from a session when on my directional. I have recently been stopping a fair way from shore as, as I have said above I broke a couple of fins coming in too shallow. The shore dump is fairly aggressive where I surf and its a pebble beach. What is the best approach to shore? As in not having to get off early and wade/ body drag in?
BEACH DISMOUNT

My wave spot has a sandy beach, strong side shore current, and gentle waves.
But with rocks and an angry shore break, you need a good exit plan.

Like Dubs said, ride in to the beach on the back of a small wave.
This will keep deep water under your fins.
The front of your board should be almost hanging over the front of the lip.

When you see it start to get very shallow in front of your wave, its time to dismount.
Steer your kite gently to 12, and pull the bar in.
This will lift you off the board and land you on your feet just downwind of your board.
Grab your board and exit the water.

The outcome is not always perfect, but with practice it is a reliable exit.

I'm very happy on my 2012 Rallys
They score well on Starskys excellent 16 point wave kite list.

arpc
Rare Poster
Style: wave

Postby arpc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Which kite North is similar to the Kahoona?

Thanks,
Ric

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:13 pm

You should try the SURF kite from EpicKites before investing on a kite. Trust me you will be very impressed with its performance and construction.

The SURF comes in (5M / 8M 12M).
Attachments
promotion SURF.jpg

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 pm

I think i might have said this before.

I seems like you are missing a size big D.

A 4m gap is pretty big. Unless your 12 is small and your 8 is big?

round here we see dudes rocking 12,9,6 combo's
or 12,10,8,6

Personally im a believer of 2m gap in the smaller sizes if you can afford it.

A 4m gap between 12 and 8 doesn't make sence to me. 10m/9m is possibly the most common sizes kite used in the most common winds kited in.

So... by having 12,8,5 in marketing terms it rules out the dudes wanting wanting a 4 kite quiver 12,9,6 and the guys will probaby less interesting too. Also not many around here is a 5m. 6 is usually the smallest..... . . .. . . . .

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 am

or 12,10,8,6
A 4m gap between 12 and 8 doesn't make sence to me. 10m/9m is possibly the most common sizes kite used in the most common winds kited in.
So... by having 12,8,5 in marketing terms it rules out the dudes wanting wanting a 4 kite quiver 12,9,6 and the guys will probaby less interesting too. Also not many around here is a 5m. 6 is usually the smallest..... . . .. . . . .
Hello plummet,
There is a reason why I chose to have only these 3 sizes. Any body that has tried the SURF kite understand the reason. These sizes are perfect because of how much range these kites have. I tried to do two sizes but that was almost impossible. This is the reason why I came up with these 3 sizes especially because of the shape of the kite. No one else in the market has a kite like that. But if you are looking for an all around kite or a free style kite then yes you need at least 5 different sizes. This is why the RENEGADE comes in 6.5/9/11/13/Infinity and the SCREAMER comes in 7/9/10/12/14.

Even the magazines said that the SURF was in a league of its own.
But again once you try it you will understand what I am talking about.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I used to ride Wainman Hawaii Rabbits. I used to think they were pretty great for the surf - they turned fast, drifted OK and were quite forgiving when you made a late turn. Great relaunch too.

Now I ride BRM Clouds. They make the Rabbits feel really really slow, you downsize to tiny kites, instead of hindenburging they just luff and drift back, the drift is ridiculous, the on/off depower is awesome and they are so responsive that let you move the kite in some crazy ways I never dreamed of with other kites. Relaunch is harder, but you learn some tricks that help. For me, they are the most fun wave kite I've ever ridden :-)

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:17 am

cleepa wrote:I used to ride Wainman Hawaii Rabbits. I used to think they were pretty great for the surf - they turned fast, drifted OK and were quite forgiving when you made a late turn. Great relaunch too.

Now I ride BRM Clouds. They make the Rabbits feel really really slow, you downsize to tiny kites, instead of hindenburging they just luff and drift back, the drift is ridiculous, the on/off depower is awesome and they are so responsive that let you move the kite in some crazy ways I never dreamed of with other kites. Relaunch is harder, but you learn some tricks that help. For me, they are the most fun wave kite I've ever ridden :-)
Coul not agree more. Have not had any issues relaunching. Even had some waves eat up the kite and relaunched fine after beind spit out.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:59 am

Dimitri M wrote:
or 12,10,8,6
Hello plummet,
There is a reason why I chose to have only these 3 sizes. Any body that has tried the SURF kite understand the reason. These sizes are perfect because of how much range these kites have. I tried to do two sizes but that was almost impossible. This is the reason why I came up with these 3 sizes especially because of the shape of the kite. No one else in the market has a kite like that. But if you are looking for an all around kite or a free style kite then yes you need at least 5 different sizes. This is why the RENEGADE comes in 6.5/9/11/13/Infinity and the SCREAMER comes in 7/9/10/12/14.

Even the magazines said that the SURF was in a league of its own.
But again once you try it you will understand what I am talking about.
That's where I don't understand your logic big D. Down the line wave riding needs a perfectly powered kite. Too much kite is a provides too much pull too little and you grovel upwind the whole session. If you want an optimal wave session in the prime winds 16-30 knots you need 2m gaps 3m at worse. 12m, 8m combo will leave you over or underpowered right in the best sweet wind ranges.

Note. I only ride in waves. There are no experienced wave riders here rocking 4m gap. Only learners who can't yet afford a 3 kite quiver. They soon learn that 12m is too big and 8m is too small for the most common winds we have.

I'll say it again. Put a 10m in your line up. There will be a market for guys like myself who want closer gaps in their quivers.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:58 pm

plummet,
I had a SURF 10 in one of my prototypes but after a lot of testing the SURF 8 was as good as the SURF 10. So I decided to remove the SURF 10 and keep it with 3 simple sizes (SURF 5/8/12)
I will send you the kite so you can demo it and see what I am talking about.
Personally I use the "SURF 8" 80% of the time. These models have so much range it's incredible.

CRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kill Devil Hills,NC
Favorite Beaches: Down the street from my house, frisco when conditions require
Style: Waves
Gear: Best Cabo very recently. BWS, Epic

Postby CRD » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:31 pm

I would agree that the range on the Epic Surf kites is perfect. I have been using them for a while. I use the 8 most of the time. When it is very light I use the 12. I don't have the 5 yet but will get it when I can. The 8 is my go to kite for most conditions.

I used to use a different brand of kite and in that brand many sizes would have been the way to go. Not the case with the Epic Surf Kite.

I have surfed my entire life and that is what I love to do, the reason I started kiting was to surf more (but with a kite). I also am not loaded with cash so being able to have this great range on these kites is perfect for wave riding and my budget. Anyone who has this kite would tell you the same.

Return to “Kitesurfing”