Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

kitesurfing in North Miami on Saturday?

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 pm

I am looking to connect with Miami kitesurfer. I will be in Miami from Saturday to Thursday evening.
I checked splocs, i think I will try to go to Meade street or Dania Beach.
Is splocs still accurate, those spots are still available for kitesurfing?
Anyone is going to be out there?I will be there until 1 pm.
The rest of the week I think I will try Crandon park. Thursday looks like it will be a 9m day, I went kitesurfing in those conditions in NY but I am not familiar with the weather in Miami. Forecast for Thursday is N with gusts of 30knots. I want to make sure forecast is accurate and it is not one of those squall horror story with people getting lofted off the beach.

I am passed beginner level as i can ride toeside, carving transitions, downloops and land jumps but I don't have IKO card. My instructor keeps forgetting to bring the cards to our local spots... I might get the card from Crandon park while i am there.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: kitesurfing in North Miami on Saturday?

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:53 pm

The wind forecasts that far away often show high numbers like that, but by the time it gets there it will likely be a 12m day.. If it is a good wind day, though, it's generally very stable so it will be 30 gusting to 31 or something like that. The only time to really worry about the crazy squalls is during thunderstorms or hurricanes, or the once-a-year fronts that give south FL 30 knot winds. That is most likely past though, usually happens in November.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info. it would be nice to see some stable wind. In New York it is like 18 average with lull of 8 and high of 30 knots.

Are you familiar with those spots: Meade street or Dania Beach? Or is it better to go to 87th Terrace?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Yes, you can get your IKO card at Crandon. Will cost you a bit though.
But you need it to ride there.
Make sure to checkin and get the do's and dont's of the spot, has some rules, but is a dream to kite. Go for sure!

Wind forecasts can change a lot in Miami...week before it looks excellent, and the it keeps postponing it the closer you get to that day...so a day before you really know if wind is coming.

If you drive along the North Beaches, for sure you will see kiters if there is wind. Pass by the beaches mentioned on splocs.com
Make sure to ask locals as well for do's and don'ts. Normally easy, but few spots need special attention, like Fort Lauderdale beaches.
In general, just don't ride inside the swimmer zone buoys and you will be fine.

You can also hit up the local kite shops to get more info and meet some people.

Have a great trip! :thumb:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks!

I will make sure to ask locals for do's and don'ts.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 pm

I plan on kiting north Miami on THIS Saturday (bumping this old thread), does anyone have any additional info on Meade street or Dania beach pier area?

Any difference in wave quality and/or crowd on beach? Where do you recommend? I am advanced rider.

I will be at a conference in Hollywood and planning on riding one of these spots

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:19 am

Any locals have info on the man of war? Shark migration season? Do people still ride when they are flying the purple flags?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 pm

kitejumping wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:19 am
Any locals have info on the man of war? Shark migration season? Do people still ride when they are flying the purple flags?
I've never heard anyone mention purple flags in my whole life, everyone just ignores them.

I haven't seen any sharks since october/novemberish, the other half of the migration usually starts later this month or the beginning of march so we will see more then.

Man o' wars are starting to pop up now but still not too bad. I got stung a couple times last week but there are not so many, so you can generally avoid them unless you fall in the break.. then you get stung with the little pieces that have broken off that you can't see. that's what happened to me. i havent seen any other jellies since hurricane season last year, so its really not a problem right now.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 pm

No worries with sharks or any kind of dangerous sea life.

Purple flags looks to me as another weird thing from the life guards, probably to justify their budget and unnecessary presence at the beach.

Shark migration time is spring. We're not there yet. Best thing you can do is stay away from fishing peers, as sometimes migrating sharks get attracted by the bait near the peers.

Man o'war can sting you. I got stung many times. It never got serious. I landed on one once, face first. My leaps burnt for a couple of days, but didn't get swollen or anything serious. Wear a rash guard.

Enjoy south Florida breeze!!

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

RadDrDuke wrote: I plan on kiting north Miami on THIS Saturday (bumping this old thread), does anyone have any additional info on Meade street or Dania beach pier area?

Any difference in wave quality and/or crowd on beach? Where do you recommend? I am advanced rider.

I will be at a conference in Hollywood and planning on riding one of these spots
Coincidently I went back to Miami a few weeks ago.

I also drove to Delray beach to meet up with someone, it was such a nice spot.
Kited in surfside spot 87th street too, I believe it's $15 to kite there if you don't have membership, spot is regulated with a channel to get in and out.

Kited Meade street in 2015, which was nice spot. Was pretty easy to park. Haven't tried Dania.

kitejumping wrote: Any locals have info on the man of war? Shark migration season? Do people still ride when they are flying the purple flags?
I kited ocean from Aventura area 2 weeks ago(was able to park and access beach from some friend's house), I hit fish 4 times with my twintip in 1 hour. Once I landed from a jump, a fish jumped out and hit me in the chest :lol:
I guess shark must have been in the area...

I did spot a couple of man o' war jellyfish. Almost picked one up thinking it was plastic bottle.

Return to “Kitesurfing”