Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Toro 12m...Is it any good and where can I buy it?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:53 pm

once again I managed to write the initial question about the Toro without being logged in. Yes it was me who wrote the initial message and me who wrote the 'i've just started kitesurfing with my 12.2 black tip' message the other day. having read through the various replies about the Toro, i noticed that someone has pretended to be me and act anonymously and reply to all the comments. So 'mission man', thank you for your comments and rest assured that the banter you've got going on with that 'anonymous' retard is not me.
Your comments on the Toro are much appreciated along with everyone who helped me with my 'i've just started kitesurfing' questions.
Lindsay

Huncie
Rare Poster

Postby Huncie » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:33 pm

I better not come out anonymous again!
Right, to my 'anonymous' friend from Sweden, have you ever actually tried the toro?? oh, and while i've got the questions going,how do I do a relaunch off the water with a fifth line attached to my Black Tip 12.2. I really don't understand this fifth line thing. I'm still pretty new to this. Cheers guys.
Lindsay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Huncie on 2002-08-21 17:34 ]</font>

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:00 pm

On 2002-08-21 17:33, Huncie wrote:
I better not come out anonymous again!
Right, to my 'anonymous' friend from Sweden, have you ever actually tried the toro?? oh, and while i've got the questions going,how do I do a relaunch off the water with a fifth line attached to my Black Tip 12.2. I really don't understand this fifth line thing. I'm still pretty new to this. Cheers guys.
Lindsay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Huncie on 2002-08-21 17:34 ]</font>
I'm not sure we should tell you :smile:

I'm serious though. It's a dangerous and wild way to relaunch. It will throw you hard because the kite launches straight downwind at maximum power. The extra line adds to the risk of tangles.

Relaunching is the hardest skill to learn as a newbie and one you should accept as hard, and make every effort to master.

Huncie
Rare Poster

Postby Huncie » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:09 pm

so is it just me then or the fact that I am starting out as a beginner with a kite that has extreme AR.
it just sits on it's leading edge in the water and pulls the lines and me downwind and every attempt to get it to roll over to the relaunch position fails. in the end i end up swimming towards the kite and rolling up my lines by which time i am completely knackered!
Any pointers?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:38 pm

On 2002-08-21 20:09, Huncie wrote:
so is it just me then or the fact that I am starting out as a beginner with a kite that has extreme AR.
it just sits on it's leading edge in the water and pulls the lines and me downwind and every attempt to get it to roll over to the relaunch position fails. in the end i end up swimming towards the kite and rolling up my lines by which time i am completely knackered!
Any pointers?
High aspect kites are harder to relaunch, but all kites are hard when you’re learning.

You must get the kite to roll on its back. It’s really very simple to do. The secret is to keep swimming toward the kite, CONTINOUSLY. Don’t stop swimming to see if it’s working. Even though it looks like nothing is happening, it is working, and sometimes it takes a very long time of continuous swimming to get it to roll over. What you are doing is making the lines slacken and keeping them slack, while the wind has a chance to flip it. It is slowly leaning over and you must keep swimming to keep the lines slack, and it will keep tipping until it finally flops on it’s back.

Another trick is to pull in a bunch of line to you and throw it at the kite. Unfortunately this only makes the lines slacken for 2 seconds and that’s not always enough to make it flip.

You will end up swimming over your bar. You may need to swim with both arms, so put the chicken loop in your mouth. When the kite does flip on it’s back, you should have plenty of time to get your hands on the bar and check the lines for tangles.

The next challenge is to get the kite to fly. Take your time nursing the kite to the side of the window. Rushing to make the kite take off from the water is sure to make it flop back down on its nose and make you start all over again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-21 20:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-08-21 20:41 ]</font>

Huncie
Rare Poster

Postby Huncie » Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:20 pm

Brilliant, thanks a lot.
Sounds to me like i'm going to be doing a lot of swimming! I'll let you know how it goes! Back to my original question, do you have any idea where I can get the North Toro in England. It seems like the only North I can get is the Rhino!?
Cheers

KITEPROSHOP.com
Medium Poster

Postby KITEPROSHOP.com » Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:24 pm

we sell to England.
please request your price at our site by going to the brand and kite you want.

Huncie
Rare Poster

Postby Huncie » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:19 pm

No worries.
I will have a look at your site.
Thanks.
Linds

Return to “Kitesurfing”