Perth KS hire

Forum for kitesurfers
airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Perth KS hire

Postby airbourne_oakie » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:34 pm

Hi all, Im going to perth in January (waheeeeeey!) and I want to do some kitesurfing while I am there, but would rather hire the kit than take my own (hassle, flight damage etc). Does anybody know of KS shops who hire equipment in the scarborough area?

shunter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby shunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:43 am

As far as i know non of the shops hire out kites. This is only a guess. You would be better of giving these guys (all great) a call before you come over to check. You may be able to hire a board if you dont want to lug it over.

Airborne Kitesurfing
160 Scarborough Beach Rd Scarborough WA 6019
ph: (08) 9245 4100

Choice Kite Surfing
29 Quickly Crs Hamilton Hill WA 6163
ph: 0438 382 638

Pelican Point Windsurfing
33 Stirling Hwy Nedlands WA 6009
ph: (08) 9386 1830 Sailboarding Equipment & Supplies

S.O.S. Surf Company
1 Quarry St Fremantle WA 6160
ph: (08) 9430 7050 Sailboarding Equipment & Supplies

hope it helps

shane

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:44 am

dont know how it happened smiles are supose to be number 8

dahhhhhh

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:37 am

shunter wrote:dont know how it happened smiles are supose to be number 8

dahhhhhh
writing 8) is a shorthand way to get Image (same way as writing :D translates to Image and :wink: translates to Image )
I guess you wrote (08) at the begining of the phone numbers.

Just disable smilies when you post with telephone numbers
or other "smily codes" - that's what I did here.
(It's in a check-box under the message entry area)

Steve T.

Hmmm .. but if I disabled smilies how did I put the smilies in? ...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

q-ball
Rare Poster

Postby q-ball » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:05 pm

Hahaa more folks traveling to Oz ... count me in too I am arriving end of Sept. Too cool

What I want to know is what are the weapons of choice ??? Big kites small ones or those in between???One guy tells me 8&9's other dude says 12- 16 ...hmmm ne one know what the locals quivers are???

Please tell me there are plenty waves in an around perth that I can go kite on.

Cheers

airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster

Postby airbourne_oakie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:21 am

I was hoping to get away with my 12 as my main kite (im pretty light), and may be get an 8m before I go.

There doent seem much point in taking my 16m as Ill just get spanked :o if its as windy as I think it is. Any locals out there who want to give us some advice?

One other thing is that is seems some of the shops above hire boards out at about 3% of there market value per day (not bad really) so I might just take kites, and try loads of boards while Im there.

X3_Flyer
Rare Poster

Postby X3_Flyer » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:33 am

i live in perth western australia and i think for summer the best kites are 10 - 14 metres in seabreezes i used an arc 630 and i was pumpin i see loads of 12 inflatables and i am trying my new X3 this summer. If u are in the area come down to pelican point matilda bay it is a brilliant Ks spot ill be there!!! i would definatley say nothin above 14 in summer as there are strong seabreezes between 18-25 knots most days. thats perth mind u i cant give advice on eastern states it rains more on that side :P

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:25 am

Kite size for Perth and surrounds depends on the size of ya gonnads

I am 115 kgs and my most used kite is a 16m (60%) and my smallest is 12m(15%) my biggest is a 21m (25%)

most days are in the 15-22 knot range but expect 1/2 dozen days a month over 25 and 1/2 dozen days under 15 knots.

I would bring all your kites at 3-4 kgs each 3 kites dont take up much weight. Get one of those vaccum bag packs that people use for storing clothes and i bet you will get the volume down real small

No waves to speak of in perth we get a bit of wind swell and a dumpy shore break. As R said much better wave locations over East. Down south or up north is a different matter and we have plenty of coast line in between that doesnt see any kiting pressure. Some good shore break dump to do wake/skate moves (or try to do i my case)

The better spots are starting to get crowded around Perth now with 15-20 kites out trying to catch waves in the one reef spot with plenty of squatters taking up the jump lines and landing zones.

Some real class flat water spots around perth that see a fair bit of pressure but some others that dont. 1.5-2 hours drive north or south will see you kiting by your self. Access to a 4WD and the coast is your oyster.

enjoy

shane

airbourne_oakie
Rare Poster

Postby airbourne_oakie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:37 am

Cool, thanks x3_flyer. We are staying at hillaries up by pinaroo point, how far south is pelican point? I guess its not a walk.

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:24 pm

I am sure that I heard John at SoS say he hires kites out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”