Rabbit Ears Session - 2/25

Forum for snow- and landkiters
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Rabbit Ears Session - 2/25

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Got out to Colorado last week and we met up with FrontRangeJeff for a great day at Rabbit Ears!

Jeff got out early on his 6M, then it dropped to very solid 12M conditions and built to 9M conditions. It was beautiful snow up there and that is a large open field of terrain to explore. Jeff has a nice little patch of trees picked out that is well away from road, powerlines and the main snowmobile routes and it works out perfectly for setup.

I kited all afternoon until I could not go any longer. It was just awesome. There is one big main field to safely explore with a little valley between two hills that you can bomb up and down all day long. Then there are a couple far fields you can venture over to which were absolute light powdery fun (after we had cut up all the powder in the close field). Not too worry...it started snowing and the wind continually covered up our tracks. Good times! Some pics below...

The ever important, post session beers!

Great times and thanks, Jeff, for the hospitality!
We didn't have much wind the rest of the trip...but we had some great snow in the resorts. It's just too easy to not throw a kite and harness in your ski bag when you are headed out west.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rabbit Ears Session - 2/25

Postby rvrrat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:40 am

Awesome lookin' spot. You are right. No reason not to throw your kite gear in with the rest of your gear. Glad to see you waited for conditions to improve. Good call! New England has been great. Tons of snow to ride from Indiana to Vermont. Time to finish this trip and get home. Its gonna rain. JR

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:23 pm

I was so glad you guys were able to cruise out this way and pinged me! Kited my fill that day for sure - slow to start but once it got rocking it was an absolute blast.

Sort of a tough break only getting one day of wind but man did you guys hit a good time to be on the slopes!!!

I had a great time kiting and hanging with you guys!

Jeff

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm

The pleasure was all ours, Jeff! Who knows, maybe I can squeak out a weekend trip again before all the snow disappears. Stranger things have happened. I mean, heck, M.K. came out twice in one month! :)

Enjoy the blower conditions once this storm passes and you have blue windy skies and untracked fields of powder!

Return to “Snow / Land”